Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Captain
# 21
08-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonogre View Post
Figured them a troll so wasn't going to give them much thought.
Hes right on that there are some solid Mirror ships on the exchange which are not that expensive & those are still better for some straight forward dual heavy cannon action; at least easier to squeeze out more dps.

But cruisers are great and with the build above I put together for you you should have no problems.
Ensign
# 22
08-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanothername View Post
Hes right on that there are some solid Mirror ships on the exchange which are not that expensive & those are still better for some straight forward dual heavy cannon action; at least easier to squeeze out more dps.

But cruisers are great and with the build above I put together for you you should have no problems.
Going to be trying yours out need to collect some gear though so running the missions for the weapons.
Ensign
# 23
08-30-2014, 06:26 PM
This is my current build I still have work to do and am rearaning the skills on the sci and eng.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=crewman_0

Last edited by dragonogre; 08-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Captain
# 24
09-01-2014, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonogre View Post
This is my current build I still have work to do and am rearaning the skills on the sci and eng.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=crewman_0
Try:

TT1, BFAW2, (APO1,)
BFAW1, APD1, (APB2,)
EPTS1, A2D1, EPTW3, A2SIF3,
ST1, HE2,
PH1,

() - swap between depending on whether you are doing PvP/PvE - see Tac boff bit.

It is an ok set up equipment wise, all things considered. Not good, but not bad either. I've seen worse...

The real issues are A) your Boffs are all over the place, and you are running some that are essentially wastes of Boff slots, and B) you are hampered by lack of resources to make the ideal set ups.

Sci - TSS1 and TB2 aren't the best for what is needed/waste of slot respectively - ST1 does what you need it to do better than TSS1, and HE2 is essential for debuff clearing, and is a not bad hull heal. PH1 is ok.

TB essentially is a nice concept but doesn't work - its effect just isn't worth it unless it is fully specced into, and even then it is a very easy Boff power to resist.

Tac - your highest Boff powers are being used on your objectively worst weapons, so we drop TS and HY so that BFAW can make more use of the AP arrays. Also, you lack TT, and APD isn't the best Attack Pattern to use in PvE, APB will perform better. In PvP, APD can stay, and add APO instead of the other APB.

APO and APB - the above is a PvE/PvP compromise, as I assume you only have 2 Tac Boffs and therefore cant run 2 different Tac Boff sets - APB for PvE, APO for PvP. This is because any self respecting PvPer will clear APB PDQ making it worthless, but APB, especially when used with BFAW, increases everyone on your team's damage. Different skills for different uses. APD's main value is in its defensive buff, useful in both PvE and PvP - like APB, the Debuff is easily cleared in PvP, so APD isn't as useful as it can be in PvE.

Eng - As you may know, you cycle EPTXs, Doffed EPTX means you can get 95.18% uptime on two EPTXs. Don't use EPTS as a shield heal - you use it for its over time benefits, if a cycle happens to coincide with needing a shield heal its a bonus.

A2D and EPTW can be swapped around if you cant find an engineer to train EPTW3, but it is less effective that way.

A2SIF is a resist boost plus hull heal - its timings will conflict with A2Ds, but it isn't significant as Doffed A2D (blue doffs aren't too pricy and you only need 1) lasts for quite some time, enough to cover overlap from A2SIF.

EWP - essentially a waste of time. In PvE, you will never need it, and in PvP HE clears it and people are smart enough to avoid it. It can cause visual lag for some players, but making an opponent lag A) wont save you from the cloaked Vaper seeing a nice easy stationary kill and B) is cheating.
Most importantly, EWP kills your mobility, and therefore, your defence. Both are to be avoided.

Gear - First step is upping consoles to blue/Purple Mk XI/XII as you get EC to afford them, and Quantum Torpedoes up in stats, as green Mk X needs to become Blue Mk XI or better. Ideally, you want [acc] modifiers for PvP, and [CrtD] for PvE - I suggest choosing the former since you are on a budget and cant afford separate set ups.

Second is C-store consoles, Fleet and Rep gearing your ship - these take a lot longer to get, particularly the first if you are grinding Dil to buy Zen.

Due to the current issues surrounding the Delta Rising expansion, it isn't wise to spend the considerable resources required for these until we have more details - EC however, is fair game for spending as it is easy to get once you know what to do.

Doffs - 2 TT cooldown reducers, 2 or more EPTX cooldown reducers, 1 A2D doff. (I presume you don't have the bonus doff Fleet purchase)

Or, you can A2B it - in which case, see my linked thread earlier, as you would need to set the Lt. Cm. Uni to Eng to do it right, leaving you with a basic Star Cruiser.
Vanilla PvP - Cheap. Fun. Balanced. Newbie/Casual friendly. PvP as it should be.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1223171

T'Rebek, Nalcari, Karina, Volana, Kilaitia, K'Ahlayr, Ririatss.