Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
For example when I equip an Eng-Console that adds 15% kinetic and all energy resist, my player stats say it is only 13%? The 21% ones only add 17%. Are the tooltips just incorrect?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Animal
For example when I equip an Eng-Console that adds 15% kinetic and all energy resist, my player stats say it is only 13%? The 21% ones only add 17%. Are the tooltips just incorrect?
Nope. The total bonuses from resist items are converted into your actual resist withe the following formula:

Resist = 1 - (1/(1+bonus))

What this means is that if you have a total resist bonus from items of 100%, you'll end up with 50% resist.

To repost something I posted before on this subject:

So, the percentage listed on resist items isn't the percentage of damage reduced, it's the percentage of additional damage the item will let you take.

In other words, a +100% phaser resist bonus doesn't reduce all phaser damage to your hull by 100%, it increases the phaser damage your hull can survive by 100%.

For example, say a ship with 100 Hull Points is being attacked by a phaser weapon that does 10 damage every second (10 DPS).

With no phaser resist, it will take 100 damage to destroy the ship, which will take 10 seconds.

With +100% phaser resist, you end up with a damage resistance of 50%. The incoming phaser fire will be reduced by 50% to 5 damage per second, so the ship will take 20 seconds to destroy - a 100% increase. In effect, the +100% bonus makes the ship behave as if its Hull Points had been increased by 100%.

So, when looking at +resist% items, think of the percentage listed as the increase in survival time or 'effective Hull Points', rather than as the reduction in damage the item will give.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
Nope. The total bonuses from resist items are converted into your actual resist withe the following formula:

What this means is that if you have a total resist bonus from items of 100%, you'll end up with 50% resist.

So, the percentage listed on resist items isn't the percentage of damage reduced, it's the percentage of additional damage the item will let you take.

In other words, a +100% phaser resist bonus doesn't reduce all phaser damage to your hull by 100%, it increases the phaser damage your hull can survive by 100%.

For example, say a ship with 100 Hull Points is being attacked by a phaser weapon that does 10 damage every second (10 DPS).

With no phaser resist, it will take 100 damage to destroy the ship, which will take 10 seconds.

With +100% phaser resist, you end up with a damage resistance of 50%. The incoming phaser fire will be reduced by 50% to 5 damage per second, so the ship will take 20 seconds to destroy - a 100% increase. In effect, the +100% bonus makes the ship behave as if its Hull Points had been increased by 100%.

So, when looking at +resist% items, think of the percentage listed as the increase in survival time or 'effective Hull Points', rather than as the reduction in damage the item will give.
I'm not saying this is wrong or anything... it probably is bang on... all i'm saying is it's dumb as ****.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
<rant>EH? /wrists! **** off, Paladins! </rant>

Anyway. Strange how it does that, although it does make sense. It's certainly more transparent than WoW's resit formulae, at any rate.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:

Ahhh, glad you explained that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
I'm not saying this is wrong or anything... it probably is bang on... all i'm saying is it's dumb as ****.
How else would you formulate a diminishing returns schema that effectively prevents anyone from becoming 100% invulnerable? Or do you think it would be a better idea to allow a T5 cruiser to equip four engineering consoles that each give it 25% resistance to everything, effectively meaning they would never take damage?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteppenRazor
It's actually a fairly elegant (albeit commonly used) solution to dealing with percentage resistances and the potential issues they can lead to.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah, once it's been explained it is fairly good, the problem is the complete lack of this information ingame.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Do the resistances from the consoles also stack with shields in addition to hull? I have heard rumors both ways, I am however in work and unable to check.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emnity
Do the resistances from the consoles also stack with shields in addition to hull? I have heard rumors both ways, I am however in work and unable to check.
I haven't taken a close look at it yet, but my initial impressions are that unless something specifically mentions shields, it only affects your hull resistance.