Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSunBird View Post
I imagine the quest text explains it, though I don't know personally, having not gotten there yet.
IIRC there is some short blurb in one of the first missions in which you encounter the Hirogen about how they have arrived here and how concerned Starfleet is about them allying themselves with enemies of the federation, etc. There is also a mission where you try to prevent a Romulan / Hirogen alliance.

It's mostly a lot of handwaving. But the game does acknowledge in mission texts that the Hirogen were not originally native to the Alpha quadrant.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
The relay network the Hirogen claimed and used to keep in communication spanned slightly into the Beta Quadrant- so much so that it was able to reach a Federation ship in deep space, arguably on the far side of Romulan space (which is problematic but... another topic).

If you assume the Hirogen tried to stay within range of the relays then it makes sense they would bump into the Romulans before too long. They meet, strike up a deal, and more and more Hirogen start making their way down.
im definatly going to assume that they would of explored into the beta quadrant if their network relay spanned that distance, who know the hirogens could of gone looking for earth after their encounters with voyager and bumped into the romulans on the way

they knew where earth was, they had access to voyagers database
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejin
IIRC there is some short blurb in one of the first missions in which you encounter the Hirogen about how they have arrived here and how concerned Starfleet is about them allying themselves with enemies of the federation, etc. There is also a mission where you try to prevent a Romulan / Hirogen alliance.

It's mostly a lot of handwaving. But the game does acknowledge in mission texts that the Hirogen were not originally native to the Alpha quadrant.
Ah, I see. Well, handwaving is a long standing sci-fi tradition.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
While exiled, Sela ran into them and made an alliance with them. Read the Path to 2409 updates.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akridine View Post
im definatly going to assume that they would of explored into the beta quadrant if their network relay spanned that distance, who know the hirogens could of gone looking for earth after their encounters with voyager and bumped into the romulans on the way

they knew where earth was, they had access to voyagers database
Yep. Many of the hunters might have looked at Voyager as "the prey that got away". It stands to reason many would have taken it upon themselves to hunt that elusive prey. A hunter wants a challenge and the recognition of the kill, after all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
when Sela was exiled for trying to kill the head of the tal'shir she forged an alliance with the Hirogen, along with various unhappy factions in the romulan government.

she offered them free hunting in Romulan space in return for their help, so they helped her take control of the romulan star empire, which is where she is now.

as a few have already said, the hirogen comm network spanned a huge area, which crossed the border of what we would call the beta and the delta quadrants.. when sela was booted out she headed that way, probably because the federation was in the opposite direction!

so thats why you see Hirogen in romulan space (beta quadrant), Sela invited them in.


(this is all in the path to 2409 and the in-game loading screen stuff takes a while to piece together mind)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Don't get me wrong but in watching that episode, didn't it feel like it wasn't necessarily "the hirogen network?" I mean Seven referenced it as being really old... And since their nature is hunting, and assimilation of other species tech, I assumed it was someone elses network...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.MarkusKarter View Post
Don't get me wrong but in watching that episode, didn't it feel like it wasn't necessarily "the hirogen network?" I mean Seven referenced it as being really old... And since their nature is hunting, and assimilation of other species tech, I assumed it was someone elses network...
I'm fairly certain that the Hirogen took over the network from some species they hunted.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
In short...

Feels like a pre set up for a Playable Romulan Faction featuring Romulans, Remans, Hirrogen + anything else they feel like adding into the mix.


I SWEAR TO ALL....


3 Factions would be the kiss of life for this game if it can run long enough to make it there.

/drooling over 3 faction pvp maps......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
i forget the name of the episode, think it was a two parter..

anyway

the one where the hirogen take over voyager, they mention about the race dwindling due to their nomadic nature..

and in another episode, that follows on from that, when the hirogen have made holographic hunting grounds, its brought up that centuries ago the hirogen lived on a homeworld, and mastered many technological feats, but became more concerned about "the hunt" over such matters.. i think it was the hirogen engineer who said all this..

its been a long time since i watched voyager

but yeah, i can see that being their network, made centuries earlier to help them co-ordinate hunters from one location.. but over time they all wanted the glory of hunting so thats what they all began doing and advancing technology became secondary, why struggle when you can hunt, kill and take?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM.