02-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Fantasy: A wizard did it.

Star trek: Q did it.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpower34 View Post
The Hirogen network went almost to the edge of the Alpha Quadrant (message in a bottle). This was very close to Romulan space as well.
Sorry but this is wrong. the communications network was not created by the hirogen, and just because it stretched all the way there, does not mean the hirogen were spread all along it.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-20-2010, 01:42 PM
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Hiro...ations_network

logic says if the stations were there the hunters were too.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
Do the quests. How the hirogen got to the alpha quadrant is explained.
Sorry for raising this from the depths, but perhaps I missed this storyline during play? I've been wondering how the Hirogen ended up in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants, but I never saw it precisely explained in the game. I'd ask openair directly with a PM, but as he/ she hasn't posted since February, I doubt he/ she is still active on the forums.

If anyone has a definitive answer, I'd like to know. I'm trying to write a bio and am thinking about using the Hirogen as a vehicle, but don't have all the details between VOY and 2409. You can always use a 'SPOILER ALERT!" warning to be on the safe side.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
So if they took over a widespread communications network, wouldn't it make sense that they had people to communicate in a wide variety of places, most likely spanning most if not all of the network?

If memory serves, they traveled in very small groups and rarely ever got along with other Hirogen, so it makes total sense they would be a very widespread but sparsely populated race that ventures off alone in search of prey in a lot of different directions over a long period of time..

I dont think its any great leap of logic to assume they had ships in the beta quadrant in Voyager's time, and it being what, 30-40 years later, makes perfect sense that they could have reached the alpha quadrant in that time by conventional means.

And I dont think the missions specifically explained HOW they got to the alpha quadrant, but from what i just mentioned i never really thought it was much of a mystery.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-10-2010, 03:18 PM
the beta quadrant boarders the alpha, and delta quadrant. the Hirogen were all over the area around the boarder to the beta quadrant. it is save to say that they expanded in to the beta quadrant. ( and it is not the alpha quadrant, it's beta. the STO map covers both alpha, and beta.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautuin
So if they took over a widespread communications network, wouldn't it make sense that they had people to communicate in a wide variety of places, most likely spanning most if not all of the network?
Not necessarily. Iconian technology worked pretty well on its own without any operators for millenia. If the Hirogen found or stole this technology, it could very well "just work" without the need for them to be on the other end of the line, so to speak.

There's a lot of speculation that Hirogen are at the same locations as remote communication posts, but I don't remember there being anything as such mentioned in ST:Voyager.
Quote:
If memory serves, they traveled in very small groups and rarely ever got along with other Hirogen, so it makes total sense they would be a very widespread but sparsely populated race that ventures off alone in search of prey in a lot of different directions over a long period of time..

I dont think its any great leap of logic to assume they had ships in the beta quadrant in Voyager's time, and it being what, 30-40 years later, makes perfect sense that they could have reached the alpha quadrant in that time by conventional means.
This is the only explanation I can think of as well, and it most likely means that the Hirogen would be spread thin between three different quadrants. Although acceptable that they would be willing to travel across several quadrants for a few generations, it would also probably thin out their numbers even more. But from what we've seen in STO, they're pretty plentiful in the Beta quadrant. If this is the official story, there's a ton of hand-waving involved (but not as much as the first proposal, IMPO).

Quote:
And I dont think the missions specifically explained HOW they got to the alpha quadrant, but from what i just mentioned i never really thought it was much of a mystery.
Fair enough. I was just hoping I hadn't glossed over anything during my tour in the Romulan front.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Romulans are in the Beta Quadrant, which is directly below the Delta Quadrant. The Hirogen are known to be spread to the southern edge of the Delta Quadrant. Sela (Romulan Empress) invited them to be in Romulan space... ergo, Hirogen hunting parties in Romulan space... in the BETA quadrant. If they are in the Alpha quadrant anywhere it is probably a bug.
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Ah sorry i didnt realize the romulans were in the beta quadrant. But what i was getting at in the first part wasnt that they had to be all over the network to maintain it, but that they were all over the place anyway and used it to stay in contact when they needed to group up. (lol the network was their LFG channel)

On another idea, Voyager and Janeway ticked them off and gave them more comeuppance than just about any prey they had faced other than 8472 i believe, maybe they took it as a matter of pride that they come get revenge on the federation, and so an unusual number of them started heading our way.

I'm just speculating tho.
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
This is the only explanation I can think of as well, and it most likely means that the Hirogen would be spread thin between three different quadrants. Although acceptable that they would be willing to travel across several quadrants for a few generations, it would also probably thin out their numbers even more. But from what we've seen in STO, they're pretty plentiful in the Beta quadrant. If this is the official story, there's a ton of hand-waving involved (but not as much as the first proposal, IMPO).
You're thinking about them from the perspective of a civilization that holds territory and maintains long-term infrastructure. The closest thing the Hirogen had to that was the communications relays; they've been nomadic hunters and raiders for centuries, spreading out with little regard for contact with each other.