Captain
# 11
09-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
Some T6 ships will have a seat for an intelligence boff that grants a boff ability. Based on the names of said abilities, it looks suspiciously like boosting power levels...but that hasn't been officially released so we don't have all the info yet
They are dual-purpose from what I have read. So they have some of the new abilities, but those are in addition to the base tac/sci/engi abilities. You dont give up any flexibility for the new BOFF seating and instead you get more of it by being able to use on a per-ability basis.

Quote:
Fleet T5u ships will have an extra console slot, more hull, wider selection of boff seat selection(this point never seems to come up), and ships with 5 fore weapons; the t6 ships haven't been released but it's a safe bet that non will have 5 fore weapon slots. But the first batch of t6 ships may not have favorable boff settings)
T6 also gets an upgrade path, so in a few more weeks when you get an 11-console version of the T6 ship, it will have the same 10% buff to hull/shields, and your half-upgrade to T5 will be seen for what it really was. IMO, T5 ships are like credit card debt, a chance to give away your money that only appeals to poor and/or stupid people.
Empire Veteran
# 12
09-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadfael71 View Post
So now I've been playing maybe a month...

There's also a couple of Lobi ships I really like: the Tholian Recluse (iirc) for my Fed Eng and the Adapted Rom Battle Cruiser for my Rom engineer. I've got about 550 LC from opening those stinking boxes.
do not spend lobi on anything that can be bought with ec. if you sit down and do the math you will see that youre spending way more by going the lobi route than you would if you simply sold the keys for ec.
use the lobi to buy the consoles and whatnot that cant be bought for ec.
free jkname
HouseOfBeautiful.org | /channel_join House of Beautiful
free t5 access for all!! | /channel_join NoP Public Service
Captain
# 13
09-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehbubbaloo View Post
do not spend lobi on anything that can be bought with ec. if you sit down and do the math you will see that youre spending way more by going the lobi route than you would if you simply sold the keys for ec.
+1.

Lobi items are far too expensive. If you have patience, just keep saving EC. Buying a ship with lobi crystals is always a waste, unless you desperately want that ship for any unknown reason. If you waste 800 lobi on a ship, maybe you will not be able to gather that ammount of lobi in a couple of years again. Not unless you of course waste a lot of money opening boxes (you are one of those guys..) and if thats the case, then forget everything we said about lobi lol.
Captain
# 14
09-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehbubbaloo View Post
This, and also, don't buy anything until Delta Rising is out.

Maybe there will be Tier6 lobi ships incoming too with the next lockbox.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-02-2014, 09:09 AM
I think as we get closer and closer to the launch of DR (which is still ~ 6 weeks away) it makes less and less sense. But we still lack a lot of details about T5 vs. T5U vs. T6 and specifics about the T6 ships available at launch.

BUT there is another thing, if there is a ship that you just want and will enjoy then buy the damn thing. You'll get plenty of use out of it in the next month and a half. If it will make the game more fun for you than that is the most important consideration.
Captain
# 16
09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjets View Post
BUT there is another thing, if there is a ship that you just want and will enjoy then buy the damn thing. You'll get plenty of use out of it in the next month and a half. If it will make the game more fun for you than that is the most important consideration.
planned obsolecense is what has sucked the fun out of it
Captain
# 17
09-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
planned obsolecense is what has sucked the fun out of it
You are clearly one for whom big numbers means more than flavor. For you, waiting is the right choice. You are not everyone, however. Some people play the game in a way that let's them have fun even if another guy is more powerful.

For example, the existence of major league ball doesn't stop me from enjoying a quick game with friends. That a master poker player could strip me of all my cash easily doesn't prevent me from having fun when I do play. And someone's 40+k DPs scimitar doesn't take a single scrap of pleasure away from my flaming red plasma ball in my tvaro, or the death Star laser of my gauramba. Neither one is optimal today, neither one was optimal they day they came out, but they are fun and always will be.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
09-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Personally, I'd advise waiting. While it is presently unknown exactly how inferior, if at all, T5U ships will be to T6's, you might s well just keep saving and make a decision once all the info is released. With so many ships being released, theres bound to be one with a skin and stat layout to suit you.

If not, you can still pick up a T5 later.

Thats what Im doing. Ive got 5500 zen stacked up, just waiting for the information.

Either way, I'm gonna hoard my riches till the next ship sale. Maybe thats an option you should consider? If you save up enough, and then splurge it during a ship sale you could probably get two ships instead of one.
Career Officer
# 19
09-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Every penny you put into T5 is wasted on a dead-end ship line
+1 on this, for sure. Unless you just LOVE the ship or the special console that comes on it, you are wasting your money. At most, you'll get it to "Tier 5.9" after paying Cryptic $5-$10 MORE to do so.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Survivor of Romulus
# 20
09-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I have to agree with people saying if you like the ship's design or layout go for it. Buy what you want. For Example I loved the Idea of Orion Ships for my Orion toons so I bought each one as I could and fell in love with the ships. It is not a waste if you enjoy the ship for either aesthetics or gameplay.

What I would do is Wait for a ship Sale, Buy some zen during bonus zen events when I can afford to and set aside half my Dilithium that I earn during the day's play to convert to Zen until the Ship sale comes up that lets you get the discount on what ever ships you wanted.

I will often put my Dil up for zen at 100 dil per zen and then cancel the offer while the rate is at the 175+ range so that it is tucked away where I can't Accidently spend it on things like lag clicking to complete the crafting projects early while in a hurry to get everything started. If you see a huge drop in the cost of Zen watch for it to start going back up and buy as much as you can and start saving dil up again.

Any thing worth you spending your money on for an aesthetic or RP reason in a game like this is not truly a waste if you enjoy the item purchased. A waste is buying something just because it is the best and then not liking it at all only to use it because it is the best. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense my mind started to wander off on me part way through this seeing as how it is late at night here.