Lt. Commander
# 21
02-18-2010, 10:57 AM
for all the QQ about the 99 people, well just remember its the most amount of LARP Trekkies on that bridge. there happy now.

Also Congrats Cryptic. good job.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
That's like a football team that markets themselves as "undefeated" before the season even starts. Sure, they haven't been beaten, because they havent PLAYED A GAME YET.

Kudos to STO for the attempt, but lets be realistic. Go to Creation's Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas sometime... you'll see 10-20 TIMES that number on a given day.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
For everyone talking about how conventions have more - OF COURSE they do. They're CONVENTIONS. This was just a more-or-less random gathering of people in a public location for a record attempt.

VERY DIFFERENT.

Kudos to everyone who showed up. It makes me happy to see so many people in costumes (and so many lovely ladies - Alex and the Orion girl were really nice xD ) all having a good time!

That being said, C'mon USA, are we gonna let the UK hold this record?
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Rather intelligently, Guinness knows this record will not stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by news article
Gaz Deaves, editor of the Guinness World Records: Gamer’s Edition said “We’re pleased to kick off this category here in London and hope other star trek fans around the world will come forward to break this record again”
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-18-2010, 12:43 PM
I think the point was more to start the category rather than to make some impossible to beat record.
Grats on the record and hopefully I'll get a chance to help beat it someday.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Congratz on the record. But seriously, 99 people? You couldn't get one more to make it an even triple digit 100. I get it's a new category so I'm not worried about that, for me the glaring thing was they missed the century mark by 1 whole person. If it were me and I were there I'd have grabbed someone off the street, a can of green makeup, and had them strip to their underwear to make a homemade Orion to get to 100.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
They should have gone to the Annual Las Vegas convention. Last year 10,000 Trek fans showed up. I'm willing to bet at least 50% of them were in costume. If not... I'd guess at least 3,000 of them!

99? lol.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Heehee! Looks like I might be the first actual atendee to post up here! XD If I'm not, then hey-ho!

In defence of the "only 99 people", the facebook site had 191 people listed as attending. I guess 92 of them either couldn't get a costume in time (Like Alex Sim-Wise almost didn't), were late (I bumped into people arriving after the meet was over), or just reconsidered.

Still, yes. It wasn't half bad. Bloody cold made even worse by Starfleet uniforms having a tendancy to be incredably thin fabric. Darn you Klingon people with your furs! 8P

... maybe I should have grabbed a selection of the Tribbles that were braught along. Could have skinned a few and made a nice vest...
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
99? I am sure that there are more than that many at Dragon-Con every year.

I guess they just have to all get in costume at the same time and gather in one place.

Still, it set a bar that no one had, up until that time, even bothered to set, so good job and congratulations to everyone that won something while they were there.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
As has been said in this thread already, the requirement for a World Record is that a representative of Guinness be there. That's the reason 99 is currently the World Record.

Some official from one of those conventions needs to invite Guinness to the convention, and somehow get an official tally of how many people attending are in costumes sufficient enough to count. Just wearing pointy ears wouldn't count. I don't think that would be too difficult, and I'm sure the record of 99 won't stand for more than about six months.