Lt. Commander
# 1 Gamespy Reviews STO
02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Gamespy reviews STO.

It seems slightly too harsh to me. I'd give the game a 3/5 instead of a 2/5. Still, the criticisms are the same sort of things that we've seen around the forums and in other reviews. The cryptic (pun intended) skill tree gets understandably poor marks, but I don't share the reviewer's low opinion of the space and ground combat systems.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai View Post
Gamespy reviews STO.

It seems slightly too harsh to me. I'd give the game a 3/5 instead of a 2/5. Still, the criticisms are the same sort of things that we've seen around the forums and in other reviews. The cryptic (pun intended) skill tree gets understandably poor marks, but I don't share the reviewer's low opinion of the space and ground combat systems.
Any review that insults Trek fans is an /ignore since that is a major market audience. There are better critical but useful reviews of the game than this one.

Also, the author significantly misses a lot of the depth of combat. All games are click fests, what is DDO or WoW but the spam of attack 1 2 3 4 repeat.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Of course they gave it a poor review. When was the last time you saw a game that was a non Blizzard one they did give a good review for.

They ran a Comic Strip / Advert for WOW for 5 years and every 3rd story they run on the site is a Blizzard one
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Numeric scores are meaningless as something to focus on. The review content itself hits on all the proper issues with the game, there's nothing inaccurate there.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
One thing he does have spot on is the incessant spam of the spacebar. One of his longest gripes is the stupidity and pain we go through to continue firing our ship phasers. We've been complaining about wanting autofire on all beam weapons since the earliest stages of beta.

It would be nice if they listened.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinsec View Post
One thing he does have spot on is the incessant spam of the spacebar.
Oddly enough, I haven't been able to get the hang of that. I don't use the spacebar to fire weapons. I'm too busy using the keyboard to maneuver, and it's too awkward for me to keep bumping the spacebar at the same time. But I use my mouse to keep clicking the button that fires all the weapons, which amounts to the same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
well they show on there that it is a 6.3, but give it two starts, wouldn't a 6.3 be 3 stars?

I don't trust gamespy anyway because my anti virus doesn't like them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
well they show on there that it is a 6.3, but give it two starts, wouldn't a 6.3 be 3 stars?
6.3 isn't Gamespy's rating, it's a "press average". In other words, it's an average of ratings from other reviewers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
6.3 isn't Gamespy's number, it's a "press average". In other words, it's an average of ratings from other reviewers.
oh alright I guess they grab it form what ever that other site is. ( I seriously can't remember right now )
Lt. Commander
# 10 Agree To Disagree
02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Gamespy reviews STO.

They are entitled to their opinions. You are entitled to Your opinions as i am entitled to mine. Simple as that. If we agree or not is another question and really not important. Lets say we can agree to disagree and think no less of each other for it.