Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Agreed, the perfect fix would be rewarding participation, which rewards (good) gameplay. And of course a bigger bonus to the winning side.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
If you do poorly on the losing team at tier 2, you get 70 skill points as a reward.

Each grade requires roughly 1200 skill points to advance to the next at that rank. And you must advance 10 grades to reach the next rank.

The rewards for losing are already miniscule. The problem is that the rewards for winning aren't much better.
This, and this exactly. The reward given for losers is pathetically small, and the reward for the winners is also pathetically small, only a miniscule amount less pathetic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
DO NOT TAKE AWAY MY LOSING BONUS
if im gonna be the only player willing to stand around and get smashed by a premade for hours whilst cowardly feds leave cause they cant handle it i dam deserve to be rewarded for allowing them to finish them everytime. Take away the losing bonus and youll have no one queing at all because they leave as it is regardless of the current losing bonus that you receive. All night i ground qued and watched the captain feds leave before it starts leave during and not return.

1vs 5 and 2 vs 5 is not fun and i deserve every bit of losing reward i receive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Nah man, it doesn't have to be like that at all.

X points = total award for winning side
Y points = total award for losing side

X = (score / max score) * maximum award for rank
Y - maximum award for rank - X

So if there were 1000 points possible to be awarded total, and the score was 15-5, then one side would get 1000 * (15/15) points award, or 1000 points.

Then you take each individual that participates in the contest and give them a rating for contribution :

Total damage + total healing (not overhealing) + (1/2 damage done by people with buffs on) + (1/2 damage taken) + (damage mitigated)

Add all of those up from every player who played the match, then each players 'share' of the pot is (playerscore/totalscore).

The MVP player gets a bonus.

So, long story short - the dude with 25k healing and 25k damage in a winning match gets a much bigger exp award than the dude who took 10k damage.

You can idle through matches, throw yourself away, etc. but you will get very little exp.

Buffing others and healing others will be a bonus especially of those people tank and do damage.

Good gameplay is a consequence of good design. The poor gameplay we have now is a consequence of poor design. It really is genuinely bad, sloppy even.
I like that idea. Gets rid of the credit farmers and to some extent -- the power levelers (lazy ones anyway). Brilliant idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheldor9
This, and this exactly. The reward given for losers is pathetically small, and the reward for the winners is also pathetically small, only a miniscule amount less pathetic.
The credits are still ridiculously plentiful for losers. 7,000 energy credits for getting my ass kicked 5 times with 0 kills of my own? That's stupid.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
You say that like energy credits are worth anything. They really aren't. Only thing I've spent them on, at all, in my progression to admiral, was to give them to the fleet for bank tabs. That's it.

Only thing that matters at all from pvp is the xp and marks for gear. Which 1) the game isn't nearly well balanced enough in pvp to survive taking those away from the losing side, participation will just take a dive, and 2) this would hurt the klink faction far more than the feds since we can just go do explores instead and say 'screw pvp'. They cannot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Stupid idea, which encourages spiteful players on losing teams to leave right before the final kill in order to stick it to the other team.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
If you do poorly on the losing team at tier 2, you get 70 skill points as a reward.

Each grade requires roughly 1200 skill points to advance to the next at that rank. And you must advance 10 grades to reach the next rank.

The rewards for losing are already miniscule. The problem is that the rewards for winning aren't much better.
This. Just reward the winners more instead of making the loosing reward even more worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusnate
DO NOT TAKE AWAY MY LOSING BONUS
if im gonna be the only player willing to stand around and get smashed by a premade for hours whilst cowardly feds leave cause they cant handle it i dam deserve to be rewarded for allowing them to finish them everytime. Take away the losing bonus and youll have no one queing at all because they leave as it is regardless of the current losing bonus that you receive. All night i ground qued and watched the captain feds leave before it starts leave during and not return.

1vs 5 and 2 vs 5 is not fun and i deserve every bit of losing reward i receive.
And this. It will also lead to more people quitting when they realise they are loosing and have no hope of winning. Why stay and finish the game if your not going to get anything anyways?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Nah man, it doesn't have to be like that at all.

X points = total award for winning side
Y points = total award for losing side

X = (score / max score) * maximum award for rank
Y - maximum award for rank - X

So if there were 1000 points possible to be awarded total, and the score was 15-5, then one side would get 1000 * (15/15) points award, or 1000 points.

Then you take each individual that participates in the contest and give them a rating for contribution :

Total damage + total healing (not overhealing) + (1/2 damage done by people with buffs on) + (1/2 damage taken) + (damage mitigated)

Add all of those up from every player who played the match, then each players 'share' of the pot is (playerscore/totalscore).

The MVP player gets a bonus.

So, long story short - the dude with 25k healing and 25k damage in a winning match gets a much bigger exp award than the dude who took 10k damage.

You can idle through matches, throw yourself away, etc. but you will get very little exp.

Buffing others and healing others will be a bonus especially of those people tank and do damage.

Good gameplay is a consequence of good design. The poor gameplay we have now is a consequence of poor design. It really is genuinely bad, sloppy even.
You sir, get a cookie. Reward actual PVP, and an extra bonus to the winner. So a fair match that ends 14-15 will give pretty even rewards for both teams, as they both had really good contributions. No damage, no healing = no rewards (gets rids of farmers and AFKers). And even if you are in a bad team, you'll still do some damage and healing and get something for what you did. Awesome all the way, and that would actually encourage good PVP.

I like your way of thinking.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-18-2010, 07:47 AM
I can't agree with Meat Machine's idea myself. How do you measure non-healing and damage contribution, like the science ship that tractored the enemy at the right time and prevented them from changing their shield facing just long enough for the escorts to finish them off, or the person who hit scramble sensors and got the carrier pets to turn on them, or the person who keeps buffing (accidentally or not) other teammates with tactical team?

If I am in a KvK match and I play bait, sitting around uncloaked with full power to shields, how much damage am I going to do if I'm busy maneuvering and protecting my shields and keep their attention so my team can destroy them? I may even get more healing from my teammates than doing it myself.

How about that crazy escort that keeps running off by themselves, yet actually knows what they are doing and ends up splitting the attention of the Klingons so that two might try and chase the one escort down while the rest of the team takes advantage of the numerical superiority on the remaining three?

How about those unspoken heroes who sit on their butts on the control points in salvage games while the rest of the team is fighting in empty space, or conversely how do you reward those people who engaged the enemy in empty space to keep them off the control points, when they may have to play defensively?


So how do you put value on tactics, positioning, and even leadership abilities which can't possibly be measured? Damage and healing are definitely not all there is to winning in PVP. Some people enable the rest of the team to do more damage and survive longer while doing less of that themselves. They are not less valuable, or deserving of less rewards.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.