Lt. Commander
# 1 Starfleet PVP 101
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
I've noticed in the last couple of days that those that play Starfleet PVP do not know what they are doing.

Here is a short version of Starfleet PVP 101

Teamwork. You must work as a team and stick together.

Focus Fire: Focus fire on one target, then the next, then the next.

2 medics, 1 engineer, 2 tacticals. You need a medic to heal, an engineer to set up defenses and 2 tacticals for overwatch and firepower.

Max out your ranks guns and gear. In other words use the even marks at each rank. Even marks are Mark II (Lieutenant), Mark IV (Lieutenant Commander), Mark VI (Commander), Mark VIII (Captain), Mark X (Rear Admiral)

Know the map. You must know the map and where are choke points, respawns and so forth.

Rule number 1: Your no good to me dead!. This comes from Call of Duty 3 but it applies to this game. Remember rule number 1.

Call for medic or wait for medic. Respawning takes longer. Only respawn if everyone is dead for starfleet.

Any questions/suggestions post them here.

This concludes Starfleet PVP 101
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
I can't be bothered waiting 2 hours for PvP...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
I've done these, but ever since I hit commander level, the klingon ships start firing those purple blobs of energy at you that kills all your systems for like 10 seconds, which is long enough to get you killed. Havn't figured out what it is or if there's a defence. Plus whenever I do manage to get into a match, there are only 3 other fed ships when there are 5 or 6 klingons on the map.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Xp
I've done these, but ever since I hit commander level, the klingon ships start firing those purple blobs of energy at you that kills all your systems for like 10 seconds, which is long enough to get you killed. Havn't figured out what it is or if there's a defence. Plus whenever I do manage to get into a match, there are only 3 other fed ships when there are 5 or 6 klingons on the map.
It's called viral matrix, sci vessels, BoPs and carriers can use it, science team and attack pattern omega get you out of it but sci team has to be used on you by someone else, that will be changing soon, 10 seconds is short mine do like 25second+ disable.

Also I hear some people call engi deployables crap, in the ground pvp I've done they didn't seem that good but I don't like ground pvp so don't do it much.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2010, 07:52 AM
If you want to fight dirty... go into space PvP with a team already formed. Specifically, make sure everyone has a Mine fitted. Doesn't really matter what kind, even if it's a Mk 1.

Reason being (and I'm sure many of you have seen already) that trying to Tab through targets, you'll likely select every single mine before you select the the ship laying them. So if you keep the sky filled with 25 mines...

As for VM, yeah it's cheap. But AP Omega can cancel it after you've been hit. Sci Team can be used before you get hit, and has a good chance of resisting it. Or using Sci Team on a friend to get them unstuck. And there's talk of making Sci Team work after being hit as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
Or using Sci Team on a friend to get them unstuck. And there's talk of making Sci Team work after being hit as well.
Apparently this has now been patched in. All of the "team" skills should now be usable while pinned down by VM.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
space is different but the quick 101 applies even to space sorta. As for the viral matrix... its a pain. But there are ways around it just have to be careful and quick.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 08:59 PM
For space PVP, see my Basic Guide to Space PvP.