Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Ensign
# 11
09-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegcbacon View Post
You have always needed to be on the min rank to claim Cstore ships, bought or giveaway. This time around it seems the Devs thought the players to be slightly more intelligent then an epohh and understand this w/o explanation.
Rather than resort to name calling, please explain how new players were supposed to know this. Personally, this system has bothered me for years.
Captain
# 12
09-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudvicious View Post
Rather than resort to name calling, please explain how new players were supposed to know this. Personally, this system has bothered me for years.
I agree. New players will NEVER know a lot of things about the requirements to claim a reward, BUT, if you know it is a reward from an event, the right thing to do is to go to the website and look the announcements about that event. Im pretty sure somewhere there will tell you that you need to be 40+ to claim the reward.

The thing is, this is working this way since i can remember, and the lack of information from the cryptic's part as well. Cryptic is assuming, for other part that any player clever enough will read the event announcement in the website.. but you know cryptic, they assume millions of things.
Ensign
# 13
09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by policestate76 View Post
I agree. New players will NEVER know a lot of things about the requirements to claim a reward, BUT, if you know it is a reward from an event, the right thing to do is to go to the website and look the announcements about that event. Im pretty sure somewhere there will tell you that you need to be 40+ to claim the reward.

The thing is, this is working this way since i can remember, and the lack of information from the cryptic's part as well. Cryptic is assuming, for other part that any player clever enough will read the event announcement in the website.. but you know cryptic, they assume millions of things.

Please provide a link showing this requirement, as I was not able to find anything myself in any of the announcements, and saying "well it's obvious, it must be there" doesn't in fact make it true. Please corroborate your story with evidence.
Ensign
# 14
09-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by policestate76 View Post

That has been my experience with Cryptic for years, pretty much since they split from CoH, and maybe even back before then, too. I love their games, but their communications and information dissemination have always been severely lacking. I can appreciate the desire for privacy and for avoiding setting false expectations, but when communication is open enough (including about shortcomings and omg failures!), the community learns from it and, over time, even understands when things go wrong. Sure there will always be a few stinkers in the community, but that's going to happen in either situation, and catering to those people is always going to make things worse for nearly everybody.

As for this particular situation, going to the website and checking the blog, it did not, in fact, list a level requirement. the only listed requirements from the main web page post for claiming any of the giveaways was proper faction. and heck, for the non-ship giveaways, that wasn't even necessary because I claimed them with opposite faction characters anyway, even though the uniforms and bridge packs could not be used opposite faction, they were still claimable, which made me wonder if maybe the system had changed, which for ships, it obviously hasn't.
Career Officer
# 15
09-02-2014, 04:19 PM
You know, no where did they state a Character needs to be of appropriate Level to claim the ship (Lvl 40+ for the KDF ship, and Lvl 50 for the T5 Ambassador); so I really do feel for the players (new or not); who got effectively left out by that fact. m And, while it's true under STO's license and TOS agreement that they reserve the right to do whatever they wish with zero notice to players -- it does seem that the info about any Level requirements needed SHOULD have been included in the 'Giveaway' Blog -- and perhaps Cryptic should consider a method that allows players of any rank to claim a ship for later use in situations like this.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 16
09-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xangen View Post

In past giveaways, we can 'flag' an item on any character, and later claim it across the account.
But right now, we don't really seem to have that option, which really hurts lower-level characters who might want the item in the future.
Nah. I cant recall in almost 2 years that you could "flag" a c-store item for later use. That never existed, at least since i started playing. In fact, that was one of the requests of a lot of people in the past, but it never was implementd (of course). You always needed the apropiate level of the ship tier. In this case, 40. Its true that i was mistaken and cryptic never mentioned you need the apropiate level. But again, they are assuming you know that already...

Thats the reason its always good to have as well at least 1 KDF toon leveled up. Thats all you need since the ship is account reclaimable. But you guys are sooo lazy xDDD. (joking).

Last edited by policestate76; 09-02-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Ensign
# 17
09-02-2014, 05:46 PM
I have a KDF character at level 50 and can't claim the Varanus. I've sent the GM's a ticket regarding this. Hopefully it will get worked out.
Career Officer
# 18
09-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimouseketeer View Post
I have a KDF character at level 50 and can't claim the Varanus. I've sent the GM's a ticket regarding this. Hopefully it will get worked out.
At the time you posted this comment the giveaway event had already ended. If you do have access to the ship then go to a ship selector and see if you have available ship slots. If not then you'll have to discharge a ship to claim the Varanus or buy more ship slots from the c-store.
Captain
# 19
09-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I do remember back when you used to be able to claim a ship for later use. That was when you could access the c-store from the website. When the removed it from the web that ability was lost as well.

(Thats how I claimed my B'rel back then.)

May the Prophets guide us in these cryptic times....
Captain
# 20
09-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsloss88 View Post
Unlike the Fed cruiser this ship is worthless.
Not a bad ship the Varanus under my KDF LTG with certain BOF Trained for it and the weapons payload and consoles used I had managed to get some 8472 purple marks so in all not a bad. It never blew-up. So right into the Planet Killers it had survived. Of course this won't be the ship I would be using daily.
Time will only tell!