Lt. Commander
# 1 The Trouble with Tribbles
02-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Does it bother anyone else that Tribbles do not wear out, have limited uses or die ? Since you can breed any tribble you want in a short amount of time given the necessary resources, its a given that that combined with tribbles never wearing out will result in a glut of tribbles in a very short time.

Pretty soon the only tribbles out there will be the ones with the double bonuses and a small amount of single bonuses and the rest will just get tossed as they are generated because due to the glut of them you can just buy what you want for next to nothing on the exchange.

Some will say there is nothing wrong with this but I say there IS. As someone who breeds tribbles to sell on the exchange (yes Im biased!) I think the value of tribbles should be preserved in a way that encourages folks like me to keep going but also doesnt make tribbles a rare item.

I would propose either tribbles wear out OR they have a food you need to keep feeding them to keep them alive (recharged) or else they go into hibernation mode. At the very least this would keep the food market going.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
If you feed them they procreate, that's canon. They never stated how they survive without eating, but c'est la vie. And I don't want my tribbles to die or have limited uses. Each of my brdige officers has one, and it would be a pain to manage them. But maybe I'm biased because I can't use them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
If you feed them they procreate, that's canon. They never stated how they survive without eating, but c'est la vie. And I don't want my tribbles to die or have limited uses. Each of my brdige officers has one, and it would be a pain to manage them. But maybe I'm biased because I can't use them.
And I respect that. I simply think that if breeding is a game mechanic (its really a crafting mechanic of sorts) then it should be sustainable. Once everyone has the best tribbles which will happen in time, there will be no real point to breed tribbles any more (imo). At this point a balance needs to be struck with respect to players who want to use them and folks who want to grow them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanid
Does it bother anyone else that Tribbles do not wear out, have limited uses or die ? Since you can breed any tribble you want in a short amount of time given the necessary resources, its a given that that combined with tribbles never wearing out will result in a glut of tribbles in a very short time.

Pretty soon the only tribbles out there will be the ones with the double bonuses and a small amount of single bonuses and the rest will just get tossed as they are generated because due to the glut of them you can just buy what you want for next to nothing on the exchange.

Some will say there is nothing wrong with this but I say there IS. As someone who breeds tribbles to sell on the exchange (yes Im biased!) I think the value of tribbles should be preserved in a way that encourages folks like me to keep going but also doesnt make tribbles a rare item.

I would propose either tribbles wear out OR they have a food you need to keep feeding them to keep them alive (recharged) or else they go into hibernation mode. At the very least this would keep the food market going.
you're not the first trying to sell tribbles =)
usually the seller doesn't stick around for too long tho hehe

i think it's not that bad, tribbles are not the best selling item, they are especially not sold very often within an area, phlox fed them and jones even handed some out for free

edit: oops, slipped into german, fixed ^^
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
I suppose your point is valid Thane. I think my point pertains to a lot of aspects of the game though. Aside from items that are bound on use, nothing wears out in this game. In time you will have so many rare items that they will have no true rarity. Even if you arent an exchanger, itll remove the awe of a purple when everyone has one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanid

Capitalism ftw eh? lol

with your supply and demand thinking soon STO is going to turn into a EVE light with fleets being like corporations

i like the idea of tribbles dying unless fed, my bank is currently full of useless tribbles
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karek View Post
Capitalism ftw eh? lol

with your supply and demand thinking soon STO is going to turn into a EVE light with fleets being like corporations

i like the idea of tribbles dying unless fed, my bank is currently full of useless tribbles
They dont even need to 'die' just go into hibernation mode until you feed them again. Maybe make it so what you feed them will continue to adjust the stats they perform so you always need to feed them the rarer or right foods. Id prefer they died but Im not against them persisting.
Lt. Commander
# 8 I agree
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
This is why I stopped playing MMO games for a very long time... Eventually the game is filled with rare items, millions of credits, and players that just pay for gold/credits or power leveling.

As for the tribbles I don't think they should die or have limited use but should be treated just like any other item, once it is used or bound by a player it can't be traded or make them like pets that can't be traded at all. I don't mind if people like breeding tribbles as a craft for credits but I think cryptic needs to make some sort of tribble farm that is the only place you can sell them otherwise everyone will just buy the best one off the exchange. Although, the time/credits it takes to find/purchase all the unique items to feed a tribble to advance it doesn't sound like much fun to me but, to each his own I guess. I'm all for the "pet" idea or putting some sort of regulation on the tribble empire, but tribble death or limits not so much.