Lt. Commander
# 1 Not Running
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I had this happen before and I reinstalled. I'm not sure if that solved it or just time so I wanted to put an inquiry out there related to it.

When I go to run the game (C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe) it shows in my service tray but nothing appears on the screen. There is no news, no option to log in, no patching and therefore no playing. I've checked my firewall and shut it down as well as some other security controls thinking that maybe they were holding it up. I've rebooted and still nothing.

Is this isolated to just me? Do I need to install again?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgiter View Post
I had this happen before and I reinstalled. I'm not sure if that solved it or just time so I wanted to put an inquiry out there related to it.

When I go to run the game (C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe) it shows in my service tray but nothing appears on the screen. There is no news, no option to log in, no patching and therefore no playing. I've checked my firewall and shut it down as well as some other security controls thinking that maybe they were holding it up. I've rebooted and still nothing.

Is this isolated to just me? Do I need to install again?
nah, you just need the show launcher program thats floating around these forums.

Load up the launcher as usual, the run http://files.champions-online.com/Sh...herWindows.exe while the launcher is "running"
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2010, 09:28 AM
This message deleted due to my stupidity!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
It installs wherever you tell it to. Some systems for reasons known only to MS, like to hide the launcher. That program forces it to show.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
That worked. Thank you =>)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
One of these days I will figure out why this happens >_<
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
What I have had happen before for another appplication, Vitural PC 2007, is that it was placing the application somewhere off screen >.< based on registery key info about the location it was last loaded to. Any chance it could be related?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Its either that or the initial showwindow is failing. The little tool would fix either, so its hard to tell.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
One of these days I will figure out why this happens >_<
If it is the launcher window being located "off screen", I've had problems with that in any number of programs running on Windows since at least Win 3.1 (maybe 3.0... been a while).

Steps to create the problem on demand:
- Take desktop resolution to max.
- Open STO Launcher and locate the window in lower right corner of desktop so it's barely visible.
- Close STO Launcher. (This is important since it saves it's last location.)
- Reduce desktop resolution a little bit so that both axis are reduced. This should put the Launcher window "off screen".
- Open STO Launcher. It will no longer appear on the desktop therefore the player can't log in.

Note: This is a way to create the problem on demand. A computer user doesn't have to do these steps for it to occur. Some problem causes the last window position to be saved incorrectly which puts the program window way off screen (and I mean waaaay off screen). Again, I've experienced this issue for over a decade in Windows of various flavors.

Starting with Win95 and through Vista, when I've had this happen with program windows I do the following:
- Right click program's task bar icon and choose "Maximize" to get the window to appear on screeen.
- With the program window maximized, right click the task bar itself and choose Cascade or one of the Tile Windows options. This resets the program window keeping it "on screen" but no longer maximized.
- Close the program window which saves it's new location.

Note: Unfortunately, the option to Maximize a window via the right click menu seems to have disappeared with Win 7 making it impossible for the user to fix on that platform (as far as I've found so far). Also, I note that the STO Launcher itself doesn't have the ability to Maximize anyway so these steps won't work.

I think the solution is to have the Launcher do a check on launch that compares it's position to the current screen resolution and resetting that position if it's "off screen".

Why this problem still exists after so many iterations of Windows is one of the mysteries of the universe I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey Coderanger...

When are they fixing Impulse Engines? 1/3 (or more) of all of them are bugged.

Ever since the Ramming Speed 'fix' Full Impulse bonuses on engines no longer applies.