Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Inquizitor -
No there is no tooltip anywhere that says that only a tactical officer can train tac mk III skills but its been common knowledge since open beta. So to clarify you would only be able to train HYT III or fire at will III if you a tactical captain. As you're science you will never be able to train any of the MK III engineering or tac skills.

to the devs, any word on how science team III will be resolved? Will it be staying under doctor, will it revert to scientist? will there be free respecs handed out in either case?
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I just checked specifically to get confirmation on this before I answered, Sresk.

Science Team III is supposed to unlock after getting Scientist to rank 9.
In other words, the tooltips are correct. The bug here is that this is unlocking for Doctor rank 9 instead. This will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

As far as a respec being granted? At this time, respecs in this game are simply not possible, but it's something we're working hard at getting in, and quickly. Regardless though, we can't even consider giving out a respec until they are actually possible.

Furthermore - if the skill is outside your area of expertise, you can not train it to bridge officers. This is as designed. If you are a Tactical officer, you will simply never be able to train your bridge crew with Science Team III for example.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
I just checked specifically to get confirmation on this before I answered, Sresk.

Science Team III is supposed to unlock after getting Scientist to rank 9.
In other words, the tooltips are correct. The bug here is that this is unlocking for Doctor rank 9 instead. This will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

As far as a respec being granted? At this time, respecs in this game are simply not possible, but it's something we're working hard at getting in, and quickly. Regardless though, we can't even consider giving out a respec until they are actually possible.

Furthermore - if the skill is outside your area of expertise, you can not train it to bridge officers. This is as designed. If you are a Tactical officer, you will simply never be able to train your bridge crew with Science Team III for example.
And what is the ETA on respecs?

Why did you all at the last minute decide to do a skill point cap, and implement it without a respec system in place?
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Since you stated this is going to be fixed, what will happen to those of us who trained Doctor to Lvl 9 in order to get the Science Team III. I would not have put 9 points in the Doctor skill if it weren't for ST III.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Since we can ONLY train skills to BOffs once they join our crew and an NOT trade them after the join our crew, this design forces us to be in the same ship type as our class or we'll only be able to get level 3 powers on a BOff by sheer luck with the joining us missions. Unless we want to pay several million on the exchange from those few that folks have listed on the exchange. Even then, most of these skills trainable by captains never appear on the few BOffs we receive during our climb to RA5.

In other words, as an Engineer captaining a Deep Space Science vessel and wanting Science Team 3 to fit the build I've worked towards since I was an Ensign, I'm just S.O.L. because of this design.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
At least, not until we can decommission and trade our BOs. We are going to be able to do that in the near future, right?
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar
Since we can ONLY train skills to BOffs once they join our crew and an NOT trade them after the join our crew, this design forces us to be in the same ship type as our class or we'll only be able to get level 3 powers on a BOff by sheer luck with the joining us missions. Unless we want to pay several million on the exchange from those few that folks have listed on the exchange. Even then, most of these skills trainable by captains never appear on the few BOffs we receive during our climb to RA5.

In other words, as an Engineer captaining a Deep Space Science vessel and wanting Science Team 3 to fit the build I've worked towards since I was an Ensign, I'm just S.O.L. because of this design.
I have heard people say that you can teach other people's BOs, and that they can teach yours... by standing close and right-clicking the person's portrait you can use some kind of 'trade...' function.. or perhaps it was only when you're in a ship... something to that effect.
I think there may even have been a DEV post on the matter.

@ Phoxe... would it be possible to change the skill-information so that I can only see the "learning all nine ranks unlocks the ability to teach..." for the skills I will actually be able to teach?
to put an end to all this confusion, that is.

you already have three separate skill-lists for the three classes... anyway, something to think about for when you introduce respecs, which will probably require altering the skill-lists anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
IScience Team III is supposed to unlock after getting Scientist to rank 9.
And OFC there is no unlockable Doctor 9 skill.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
If you could train any skill regardless of your captain type then the game would be much more cookie cutter. Everyone would have Rank III of abilities. Even more so if there was no "skill cap" and everyone would have every skill.

Right now the Tactical captains have the best tactical abilities, engineers have the best engineering and science are the best at science. That's how it should be.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I look forward to when the skill descriptions reflect it. As it stands now, my skills page tells me I can train Beam Fire at Will III and High Yield Torpedo III, even though I'm a Science captain. I agree that it would lead to everyone having all III versions of all the skills; just would be nice for the skills page to not give out false information.

(Then again, I think the skill system needs a overhaul anyhow. I don't mind getting double the officer skill points now that I'm at RA 5; I just wish Starfleet Command had gotten the memo about the skill cap and not tell me I'm still earning skill points lol)