Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I've already pointed out in another thread how these results are bullcrap. Only a complete noob points to them to prove anything. The tests were run during OB. Not post-launch. Nor with recent ATI drivers. Lame attempt.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-05-2010, 04:49 PM
don't call then benches crap, they're not. Now it may not be apples to apples, but the fact that an older series video card can get better FPS is nothing, overall quality is what you're looking for. And Just because it's a DX 11 card doesn't mean it will run DX 10/9 games better. the API written is still the same no matter what card you're using. The bottom line is at the maufacture, where the drivers come from. the game is optimized for nVidia hardware, there are some that are optimized for ATI, and each will run differently on each hardware set. Untill there is a unified drivers set for all graphics cards, you will always have this issue. each company will have a game vendor that wants to stick the particular logo on that game, all it comes down to is money.

Plain and simple, ATI has always had a better price to perfomance ratio, but they have had thier downs too.
nVidia was a leader in the graphics market for a time, but now it's going the other way, because they don't have DX 11 hardware at this time. That's what's being said, and what's accepted, but the track record from both vendors is a cycle, one will hold the top, and then they switch. it's an endless cycle since the voodoo days with 3dfx.

And I say the P/P ratio for ati, because even their "budget" cards will run most games decently where nvidia has always played the, "you want to play this <insert game title>, then you need this <insert card model>" for the best performance.

All my opinion by the way, so take it as it is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neocorteqz View Post
don't call then benches crap, they're not. Now it may not be apples to apples, but the fact that an older series video card can get better FPS is nothing, overall quality is what you're looking for. And Just because it's a DX 11 card doesn't mean it will run DX 10/9 games better. the API written is still the same no matter what card you're using. The bottom line is at the maufacture, where the drivers come from. the game is optimized for nVidia hardware, there are some that are optimized for ATI, and each will run differently on each hardware set. Untill there is a unified drivers set for all graphics cards, you will always have this issue. each company will have a game vendor that wants to stick the particular logo on that game, all it comes down to is money.

Plain and simple, ATI has always had a better price to perfomance ratio, but they have had thier downs too.
nVidia was a leader in the graphics market for a time, but now it's going the other way, because they don't have DX 11 hardware at this time. That's what's being said, and what's accepted, but the track record from both vendors is a cycle, one will hold the top, and then they switch. it's an endless cycle since the voodoo days with 3dfx.

And I say the P/P ratio for ati, because even their "budget" cards will run most games decently where nvidia has always played the, "you want to play this <insert game title>, then you need this <insert card model>" for the best performance.

All my opinion by the way, so take it as it is.
Don't call outdated benchmarks as crap? But, they are! They are outdated and inaccurate already.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-05-2010, 10:59 PM
20fps is playable. Years ago with my old computer I played with like 15 sometimes and still pwned people.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Well, now that Nvidia has outright ADMITTED that the recent driver has caused the video card fan to stop spinning at critical times, I think this is an industry first. Nvidia has released the first driver update known to cause widespread FAILURE of the hardware involved in the video card industry.

There have been many times in the past when both Nvidia and ATI were accused of releasing card killing drivers, but this is the first time it's so widespread as to be confirmed by Nvidia itself now.

"NVIDIA 196.75 Driver Alert
We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers do not download this driver. Instead, please stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our website and we also are asking our partners and others to remove temporarily this 196.75 WHQL driver as well."

http://www.pcper.com/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
04-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_moshpit View Post
Don't call outdated benchmarks as crap? But, they are! They are outdated and inaccurate already.
they are still relevant to a point. They can still let you know what kind of performance you can get with certain engines. and some benchmarks still update for current times and codes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
04-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownXV View Post
Actually as long as you have a dual core, the CPU makes no difference, at all.
nope, went from a

AMD X2 3800+
2GB DDR
8800GT
21 inch CRT

to the system in my sig and this runs much better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
04-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer8 View Post
we are still waiting for the 300 sereis from NVIDIA that was not released. So some time in April we are to see this latest card released.
sorry but the 300 series from nvidia has been out since late Janurary early February, i remember reading that some laptops and a few OEM build were using them as a slightly more efficent 200 series, though even that is a stretch as they in no way are designed to run games through, they are mainly used for media in HEPC's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...-oem,9727.html

above link as proof that they are out there, though why you would want one is anyones guess.

p.s sorry for bringing this dead horse back to life again -runs and hides from the hate and flames-
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpy89
sorry but the 300 series from nvidia has been out since late Janurary early February, i remember reading that some laptops and a few OEM build were using them as a slightly more efficent 200 series, though even that is a stretch as they in no way are designed to run games through, they are mainly used for media in HEPC's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...-oem,9727.html

above link as proof that they are out there, though why you would want one is anyones guess.

p.s sorry for bringing this dead horse back to life again -runs and hides from the hate and flames-
The "300" series is a massive joke! It's a rebranded 200 series which is a rebranded G90. 9800GTX = GT240 = GT330, they shrunk the die is the biggest change from the first to the last, but performance is the same across all of three.

On the plus side of that though, is that modern laptops offering GT330M graphics pack a hella punch and are pretty common now. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, even knowing the GPU is nothing but a rebranded 9800GTX on a shrunk process to run a bit cooler and suck less power.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
04-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_moshpit View Post
The "300" series is a massive joke! It's a rebranded 200 series which is a rebranded G90. 9800GTX = GT240 = GT330, they shrunk the die is the biggest change from the first to the last, but performance is the same across all of three.

On the plus side of that though, is that modern laptops offering GT330M graphics pack a hella punch and are pretty common now. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, even knowing the GPU is nothing but a rebranded 9800GTX on a shrunk process to run a bit cooler and suck less power.
oh i never said they were a gaming gpu or even a serious gpu, and yes i do agree they are a joke, the only things they are good for is either basic graphic design/college projects, well anything simple really and also they are quite good for watching blu-rays though or any other video media for that matter.

the power/noise/heat benifits are the only real upsides i could see from them, though if anyone has a 300 series gpu it may be interesting to see how sto runs on one, though i suspect a 9800gtx would run sto much better imo.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 AM.