Lt. Commander
# 91
03-03-2010, 02:07 AM
I think, Fallout 3 is a perfect example of how a game can be written in a way so it gives you multiple options to finishing quests without compromising the overall storyarc. Granted: You need to think it through thoroughly and it's a SPRPG. I really enjoyed being given multiple-choice (and thereby quest outcome) options based on my stats when talking to NPCs (even if this happened like only once in 5 conversations). Implementing this - again - would be a heck of a lot work, but on the bright side, improve immersion and replay-value.

Gosh, I need to play Fallout 3 again... ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 92 Radiation time
03-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
Gosh, I need to play Fallout 3 again... ;-)
Noone is stopping you, ma'am. Talk about replay value, not only character wise but there are so many different paths and twists this game can take, even without following the "main story" if you wish.
If I should complain at all, it would be the slightly unpersonal quality of the people you see often. Even in a post apocaluptic world people care about eachother, you can see it in the different people you meet. Living in Megaton, I wish someone would just say hello once in a while, or talk about the - dry and hot - weather. I mean, dad is all well and good when you meet him, and Dr. Li is at least more than a scientist to me that that is the point. They are part of the plot storyline.
I am not really sad though, it is a game and not real life. You have your stuff to do and they theirs. Sometime the paths intertwine and... Oh well. Downloadable contet is for the most part great (love space ship Zeta or whatever it was), and can't wait for the next installment: new vegas I think.

I have to blow the dust of my copy too. There is to few hours in a day to play. I'd be up for 20 hours a day, but I fear my skills would suffer. :p Sigh, I have too many games. PS3, Wii, PC games. And I wonder where the time goes?
Lt. Commander
# 93
03-03-2010, 03:46 AM
even if it was obvious what was going to happen.. the mission was epic slaughter the romulans.. start a war.. pure epic
Lt. Commander
# 94
03-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Just wanted to chime in that I agree to a certain extent with this. But with MMOs like this, isn't difficult to build in the whole "choose your own path" storyline? I mean, basically it would have to create two umbrella instances in the universe, with one group following the path of having stopped the Undine short, and the other with people who fell head first into the trap. It would also probably create a rift between people who were "dumb" and didn't figure it out, and those who did.

So while I agree it's not the "Federation thing to do", it also would prove quite difficult to pull off in a game like this.
Lt. Commander
# 95
03-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1ey View Post
So while I agree it's not the "Federation thing to do", it also would prove quite difficult to pull off in a game like this.
No it's not difficult, just make sure that whatever the player choose to do, the main storyline isn't affected.

1) You blast everyone and discover too late that you are being manipulated, you try to kill the Undine, he escapes (current mandatory story)

2) You discover earlier that you are being manipulated, you team up with the Romulan and try to kill the Undine, the Romulan sacrifices herself to save you from some certain death (the Undine has some deathray hidden in his pocket), the Undine escapes.

Not perfect but far better than the "I kill a bunch of civilians doctors and get a blue kit for it" any day.
Lt. Commander
# 96
03-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Maybe I'm just jaded but I'm also an old school tabletop roleplayer, by way of MUSHes and MMOs now, and I never really put too much hope in the content a developer comes up with. In fact, I tend to be pleasantly surprised if I actually care what happens. I've seen stories like this, at times, in LoTRO and here. But that's infrequent and unexpected.

Divide et Imperia annoyed me for the same reasons it's bugging everyone else but my perspective is a little different. To me these stories are only backdrops for where the action really is (or should be) and those are the stories players brew up themselves. Whether it's adlibbed, makeshift, talespinning in taverns or on forums or a more organized, traditional, GMed approach using player content creation tools this is the stuff I actually care about. Why? Because as a participant it belongs to me. I'm not simply a passive observer of someone else's story but a live actor in a living experience that others are creating with me.

Generally speaking, roleplayers simply ignore the 'stories' as told by scripted missions because it's implausible we've all had identical experiences. It busts immersion right up. Only unique stories as told by the players will hold water long term and, frankly, most of the roleplayers here are Trekkers with a generally shared sensibility about how the setting works.

This is another reason why player generated content is so vital for STO in particular. When folks like those in this thread don't like something they can, instead of just waggling fingers, pick up a pen and do it right for themselves and others who appreciate the setting like they do.
Lt. Commander
# 97
03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddjobXL View Post
When folks like those in this thread don't like something they can, instead of just waggling fingers, pick up a pen and do it right for themselves and others who appreciate the setting like they do.
Well, I think there are several people here offering good ideas how to improve the mission without trashing it, in the hope that maybe some day a dev/writer drops in and discusses the topic with us. This being a basically unmoddable MMO I don't know what else we could do.
Lt. Commander
# 98
03-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
Well, I think there are several people here offering good ideas how to improve the mission without trashing it, in the hope that maybe some day a dev/writer drops in and discusses the topic with us. This being a basically unmoddable MMO I don't know what else we could do.
And that's certainly the right way to go about this. I suppose I'm just offering a different perspective on the relative importance of these things to a jaded old MMOer like myself.

I suppose the correct way of phrasing this is that it's absolutely important players offer up commentary on developer provided missions, both praise and criticism, in hopes existing and future missions are finessed into better compliance with intuition and common sense. However, in the long term, its more important that players in a game about something like Star Trek be given the tools to express their sensibilities, and indulge their passionate knowledge of the setting, for themselves and like-minded folks.
Lt. Commander
# 99 Hmm... I wonder.
03-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Developers, Creators, the gods of the simworld called STO... Call them what you will. I am sure there are many, many threads but I am sure they must read some of them, they shut down a thread I was following. Admitably it was a thread starting with a post for help in bad english, put in the wrong section of the forum. and it ended up being a bit... jokey to say the least. But that confirs that the Devs are at least browsing the forum now and again.

I though I had a point... Oh, yes. I can't be certain of course, but though a god is said to see even a sparrow fall (in essense everything in their creation) they do not necessarily do anything about it.
In others words, a Dev might have seen this thread but deemed it unseenly to actually step down from high heaven to answer... :p That is fine. They might even mean do do something about it! Or not...

I'd still like to hear if our prayers have been heard. Though they might not do anything about it, a small voice whispering in the night to say that "Yes, we have gotten the message, now stop bothering us as we are busy correcting our mistakes". Or something...
Lt. Commander
# 100
03-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Quick update: Is this quest still bugged?