Lt. Commander
# 101
03-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
Hello,

I just finished "Divide et Impera" and I'm a bit puzzled. After clearing the first room, finding no WMDs there and reading in the Romulan computer that the place was all about discovering Undine, I was quite sure what was going to happen.

The problem is, the mission was a one way road and I had no alternative to outsmart Zelle/8472. Why? In "The Defector" Picard finds an option to do both: Make sure, the Federation is safe AND prepare to doublecross the bad guy's plot. I think one should have the option to end the mission prematurely and not to force the player to walk right into the trap. (I don't mean beaming up and dropping the assignment)

I know, this mission may be important for the overall story arc. But it is really unsatisfying to be forced to do all the wrong things for the wrong reasons and help the bad guy win without wanting to. In interviews Craig talks so much about giving the players choice and how important it is. Well, I feel, if you can not mount a mutiny against what are clearly immoral orders, than the game does not allow for much choice at all. And why the heck am I rewarded by Starfleet with loot and merit for almost certainly igniting a second war front?

Sorry, that was really a lowpoint so far regarding storytelling. And so far it was surprisingly good!

Regards,
Rachel
The only option you have is to drop the mission if you think you know what's going to happen.

In retrospect that's exactly what I should have done. But it's human nature. isn't it... you want to know what's going to happen next, even if you're pretty sure of the outcome.
Lt. Commander
# 102
03-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
This being a basically unmoddable MMO I don't know what else we could do.
We know Cryptic is planning to release a story editor at some point, this could be a useful tool to create tailored stories for a fleet or a RP community.
Lt. Commander
# 103
03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurnipKing View Post
The only option you have is to drop the mission if you think you know what's going to happen.
Indeed but it's difficult to do that because :

1) The game is young and has not a lot of content : if you start skipping episodic missions, it's making things worst

2) Once you play the next missions, the game assumes you completed Divide et Impera anyway, which means you are stuck with the undine who fled after manipulating you even if you skipped the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 104
03-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Well.... We've just edged past the crystalline entity thread, and this is now pretty much the largest (and definitely one of the most active) threads in this forum. The only bigger thread is a thread regarding some now apparently fixed issues with the doomsday machine.

Like Oldwizard has already suggested. This likely means since to some extent the devs must be assumed to know all and see all (and just for the laugh I'd like to complete that statement with "and care **** all about it.", but I won't because that would be rude. Instead I'll just refer again to the phaser beams currently attached to my shoulders that extend into infinity.), they've seen the comparatively overwhelming reaction to this mission by now.

Maybe I can rephrase the way this mission made me felt in a way that might have a stronger impact.

When I bought this game. I talked about how much fun I was having nearly every day to my friends. Most of my friends played WoW with me, and so I thought there was a fair chance of getting them on board with this one. At least a few of them are casual fans of the franchise at least to the point that they've seen a few of the movies aside from the reboot, and some of them have even been talked into watching DS9 from start to end. (I have yet to hear a negative reaction from anybody who I talk into completing that particular journey).

I stopped talking to my friends about this game after Divide et Impera. The feeling I got while playing that mission is not something I would wish to subject another person to. Thinking that I might have unwittingly encouraged my friends to play this game before I played that mission actually makes me feel a little bit dirty. At least the much publicized "airport mission" in Modern Warfare 2 allows the player the option of standing in the back watching all the terrible stuff unfold in front of you. To recommend this game to my friends I would have to be fully aware that I'm recommending a game where in spite of aspiring to be one of the good guys you still wind up shooting innocent people, and doctors no less.
Lt. Commander
# 105 Game engine
03-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I am wondering now - like some people have already suggested - if the game engine running STO can handle "multiple choice" storylines. I have also noticed in other missions that I cannot do any other thing on my current mission list before completing the first one.
Say I have:

- Find computer and download data
- Scan for anomalies 0/4
- Find ANOTHER computer and download even MORE data

Fairly standard and recognisable, yes? Though I must admit this may be because of the linear gameplay, that is that I find them in the correct order in accordance with my objective list. Maybe that is just me...

But back to the first point. As many has pointed out a big choice would in essence mean two different instances if you - as most of you, me included, felt that something was wrong a minute after entering the Romulan secret "weapons facility" - could chose to confront the so called Admiral instead of slaughtering innoscents en mass.

Personally I feel a bit sad that Romulus got blown away like that, even if it created another ST movie. After "ST Nemesis" it seemed that the Romulan Empire and the Federation got to be closer than ever, and with Picard and Spock who had worked in the background for years they could have found a more permanent peace agreement or even peaceful coexistent. Oh well, perhaps the Federation was on the decline even after ST - Insurrection. The hope of humanity in eternal peace have failed! :p

PS: Just a quick question. How come Spock (Leonard Nimoy) is commenting entering a new sector? I mean, this is stil the "real" Star Trek timeline, right? Spock got sent back in time and started a paralell ST timeline so being "here" as well sounds pretty.... odd.
Lt. Commander
# 106
03-05-2010, 03:55 AM
meh whats all the fuss about? if this mission hadnt of started a war with the romulans the next one would of .. infact crossing the neutral zone is a act of war so well.. ya shouldnt of gone to vendor in the first place

now whos this ?!
Lt. Commander
# 107 Well
03-05-2010, 09:09 AM
You're entitled to your opinion certainly, though I suspect you have seen very few ST episodes. If that is a false assumtion, sue me. :p

Indeed, entering the neutral zone has always been a big no no, even if a few captains has broken that decree in their time. But I am wondering - though I have not played for very long and have not picked up all the so called political climates - but is there really a neutral zone when the romulat empire has effectively crumpled to dust? Not as it once was anyway? Just and idea, feel free to prove me wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 108
03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwizard
You're entitled to your opinion certainly, though I suspect you have seen very few ST episodes. If that is a false assumtion, sue me. :p

Indeed, entering the neutral zone has always been a big no no, even if a few captains has broken that decree in their time. But I am wondering - though I have not played for very long and have not picked up all the so called political climates - but is there really a neutral zone when the romulat empire has effectively crumpled to dust? Not as it once was anyway? Just and idea, feel free to prove me wrong.
its more of a case of "Silence I keel you"
Lt. Commander
# 109
03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
It would be great to have options sure...
...maybe we can't. Maybe the engine can't support it. That does not excuse Cryptic.

They could have railroaded us in any direction. They could have railroaded into NOT believing the admiral and DISOEYING orders... discovering the Udine, saving the Romulan Scientists and helping to bridge the widening diplomatic rift between the Federation and the Romulans. If they did that, I would have walked away feeling like a Starfleet Officer.

Instead, they thought "teehee, they'll never suspect a thing!" and made continuation of the storyline contingent upon us railroading through a mission which was obvious to even the 12 year olds amongst us. Most of us are trekkies.... which means we were old enough to appreciate one of the various shows when they actually were airing.

What would Picard have done?
Shaka, when the walls fell.
Lt. Commander
# 110
03-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmak
Shaka, when the walls fell.
Clearly Picard would've jumped at the first opportunity to use violent force and unflinchingly obey Starfleet orders no matter their moral repugnance.

/closes browser, goes to watch:
  • Darmok
  • The Defector
  • The Neutral Zone
  • Star Trek Insurrection
  • Measure of a Man
  • I, Borg
  • Conspiracy

/cries.