Lt. Commander
# 131
03-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwizard
Do you know what I think? I think Starfleet and the Federation have been so invaded and infiltrated that there are no longer anyone from the "real" federation left.
I play the entire game as if I am the only Starfleet officer...
...everyone else is a Undine and my missions are all an elaborate simulation in the Delta Quadrant perpetrated by a group of Undine.

They want to see how far their infiltrators can go before a Starfleet officer gets suspicious, so when they DO infiltrate the Federtaion they won't make too many grievous errors.

Preliminary results suggest that your averageSstarfleet officer obeys orders to the letter, is utterly trusting (of the federation) and skeptical of non federation to the point that you need but suggest combat to get him to wipe out fleets of comparatively defenseless foes.

curious indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 132 Exactly!
03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
By this I assume you agree with at least some of the things I rambled on about. But I still mean everything I said. The starfleet I have come to know and respect does not exist in STO. Which is why I stated the mirror universe, if more in gest than anything.

The point is, Cryptic (and/or Atari) has made a shoter, a war game that on top MIGHT look like Star Trek but in the end just trade upon the name franchise AND make a **** poor job of it. And I was in the beginning positive and happy that someone had at least tried to make a decent game. But as I picked up episode after episode of ST I realised that Cryptic has not - watched any ST episodes that is. More likely they picked up episode resumes and picked names and places they like - and made it into a war game.

I am not so huge a fan as to place every episode into a star map so I won't go into the accuracy of the galaxy as STO portrays it but I wonder. But again I will not place my nose where I do not have at least passable knowledge.

Leaving the STO group is NOT because I do not like MMO's in general (though it might have at least begun it in the first place) and though I hoped and prayed that ATO would be different it was not different and enganging anough. Random encounters, raids, PvP maches that are four agains five hundred (exaggerated but not by much ) are not my thing, and the rest of the missions are in the end nothing to write home about. So again I will go back to single player games that makes some sort of sense and try to forget that STO ever existed. If STO is where the canon is pointing, then this is where I abandon ship - in a manner of speaking.

On a passing note I am at least glad I made senior member before I left. Probably because I am such a windbag on the forums.
Lt. Commander
I just cancelled my sub, and I feel better already. My free month gives me one more day, but afterwards I guess I will lose access to the forums too. Not that it realy means anything to me anymore, even if you all seem more than decent lads/lassies. :p

I hope this game gets better, for those who I am leaving behind. I don't know halv of you as much as I'd like, and like less than half of you as much as you deserve. Or something. But this is the end. I'm leaving. Goodbye...

*Oldwizard vanish into thin air

- - - - -

So unless someone wants to discuss ST or STO missions, I won't make any more winded and uneccecarily long posts anywhere. *Yay! Whoops and whistles. Thunderous applaus.*

- The Oldwizard has left the building
Lt. Commander
# 134
03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Well. I'm still here and still playing, and I would still very much like to see some dev feedback on this particular mission.

I tried to get in on the "play with devs on tribble" thing so that I could among other things ask about this mission there, but I've been waiting quite some time for my character to copy over and I think I missed the window.
Lt. Commander
# 135
03-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm fine with the mission.

You don't need to find wmds to kill things. USA!!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 136
03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
But we're not even pretending that our goal all along was to liberate Romulans or something. We're just shooting them
Lt. Commander
# 137
03-20-2010, 01:29 AM
I realised when I had scanned the fourth crate and found no weapons what was going on. And what I found in the computer only confirmed that. From that point on, I felt like one of those cartoon-characters that have been fooled and put on a paper hat or sign around their neck saying "Sucker!". I knew I was being fooled but couldn't do anything about it.

My suggestion: Turn this mission into a two-way mission.

Option A: Though some things seem odd, the character (not the player) trusts in Admiral Zelle's evaluation of the situation and goes on, kinda "lead on, Macduff"-style.

Option B: After not finding any weapons in the crates and checking the computer, the character (again, not the player) goes "something's rotten in the State of Denmark" (to stick with Shakespeare) and threatens to abort the mission for further investigation.

At that point, Zelle reveals who she is, transforms into a Romulan and runs away, screaming bloody murder and alerting every single Romulan in the area to the presence of the Away Team. Of course, they'll come running to fend off the intruders (who've already killed or at least injured many other Romulans - good enough reasons to show some hostile reaction).

The mission, from this point onward, would be to reach the Romulan commander and warn her. Of course, that attempt would fail. There would be a fight with the commander and with Zelle present. Right at the point where the commander gives up the fight and my team could talk to her, Zelle kills her, transforms into her and gets out the way she already does: pretending she's the Romulan commander. And my team can't stop her ship, either. All that is left is to report to Starfleet.

Why two options? Well, there's some who believe in their superiors and will trust them and their judgement and thus, go along with what they're ordered. Others might take the military approach and go "I'm under orders, so I do as I'm told". And others again will stop to think, say "hey, that's odd" and act accordingly. So the two options would be for the sake of character development for those who like to role-play their characters.
Lt. Commander
# 138
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
That bit about Zelle going romulan early on and running off sounds like a pretty good idea. It would make this mission sort of a parallel to the mission earlier in the game where you refuse to listen to the klingons screaming at you about your vulcan ambassador being an undine. Now you're saying the same thing and are the one being shot at over it.

A bridge officer saying something to you about "Captain, we have to stop her before she gets to the base self destruct button" might provide the proper kind of impetus to not have it feel quite so wrong that you're still shooting doctors. Maybe pull a "set weapons to stun" like that mission later on where you're shooting mind controlled feds until you break the control (even if that exploit shot should have vaped the guy).
Lt. Commander
# 139 Agree with Raymond M
02-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I finally played this episode and found it completely dumbfounding...
After the 1st room I even (in a futile effort of frustration) texted:
"Admiral, how do we know YOU are not Undine bringing us here to destroy their Undine research???"
Even now in 2011, when I reported in to Admiral T'nee, she inaccurately concludes that she (Admiral Zelle/the Unidine) is now "helping the Romulans. Gee, my report would have stated that AZ was now infiltrating/undermining the Romulans, not working with them!?!
Lt. Commander
# 140
02-27-2011, 09:14 PM
This mission needs to be Remastered. It would be nice to be able to know something was wrong with Zelle and catch "her" before going around killing Romulan doctors trying to stop a pandemic. I've played this mission once and I won't do it again because I feel like I'm carrying an Idiot Ball.