Lt. Commander
# 21 I agree
02-20-2010, 08:03 AM
The city on the edge of never mission is another example. You are pretty much lead my the nose to kill what's in front of you while outdated ships almost kick your butt. Compared to the original episode it was derived from it was a huge disappointment.It seems they had a very low intelligence expectation from their players and severely underestimated the fan base.

You don't take a geek fan base and underestimate their intelligence!

But on "Breaking the planet" I had a hoot as the mission was a shoot em up mission from the ground up. You did what you were meant to do in that mission. Blow things up, kill things, and fend off wave after wave of attackers. IMO it was very well done and it went off as intended.

The Devs need to make a decision as to what kind of mission they are designing and then provide the options to players as to how to resolve it. Give players choices in advance too. You speak to admiral Quinn for example to get general missions and then another for combat missions and another yet for exploration etc. (there is a bit of that in there now which is why I am mentioning it)

(TBFL)
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
Hello,

I just finished "Divide et Impera" and I'm a bit puzzled. After clearing the first room, finding no WMDs there and reading in the Romulan computer that the place was all about discovering Undine, I was quite sure what was going to happen.

The problem is, the mission was a one way road and I had no alternative to outsmart Zelle/8472. Why? In "The Defector" Picard finds an option to do both: Make sure, the Federation is safe AND prepare to doublecross the bad guy's plot. I think one should have the option to end the mission prematurely and not to force the player to walk right into the trap. (I don't mean beaming up and dropping the assignment)

I know, this mission may be important for the overall story arc. But it is really unsatisfying to be forced to do all the wrong things for the wrong reasons and help the bad guy win without wanting to. In interviews Craig talks so much about giving the players choice and how important it is. Well, I feel, if you can not mount a mutiny against what are clearly immoral orders, than the game does not allow for much choice at all. And why the heck am I rewarded by Starfleet with loot and merit for almost certainly igniting a second war front?

Sorry, that was really a lowpoint so far regarding storytelling. And so far it was surprisingly good!

Regards,
Rachel
Agreed 10 fold.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baladen View Post
So why did you all complete the mission instead of dropping it? Were the rewards and skill points really worth completing a mission that disgusted you?
Dropping the mission just means quitting without resolve. You should be able to arrest/stop Zelle storywise. The question I want answered is why the Devs did the mission the way they did (see OP). So frankly, you are a bit off-topic here.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Saying it again because it needs to keep being said until it's fixed.

This mission is BAD. The end was painfully obvious and the entire mission made me feel very unlike a starfleet officer. Removing the doctors wouldn't help. The federation doesn't DO unprovoked invasions. They are better than that.

I want to be a member of that federation. I want to be a member of Roddenberry's federation, not one that makes me feel like I'm just another ***** with a gun.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-21-2010, 04:54 AM
I made a similar post in open beta. There it was actually worse because every second Romulan there said something like "I'm just a doctor but I'm going to defend this place." I asked that we either get a choice or the information from the computer, the lines of the Romulans before the commander are taken out and Zelle's warmongering is toned down, so that it is actually believable that she tricked me into that. Well, as far as I could tell when I played the mission again they took out the text of the Romulans....

To the guy who complains about City on the Edge of Never: It's not derived from the TOS-episode. It's a tribute to three series, the Guardian is in there because it's a sentient time-travel device. If the Klingons would have used the slingshot maneuver to travel through time the Federation would've been done for, so it just fit well into the concept. It has NOTHING to do with Edith Keeler or timeline preservation through letting people you like die and doesn't claim to. In fact it is pure genius how the episode fits into Star Trek canon.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
I made a similar post in open beta. There it was actually worse because every second Romulan there said something like "I'm just a doctor but I'm going to defend this place." I asked that we either get a choice or the information from the computer, the lines of the Romulans before the commander are taken out and Zelle's warmongering is toned down, so that it is actually believable that she tricked me into that. Well, as far as I could tell when I played the mission again they took out the text of the Romulans....

To the guy who complains about City on the Edge of Never: It's not derived from the TOS-episode. It's a tribute to three series, the Guardian is in there because it's a sentient time-travel device. If the Klingons would have used the slingshot maneuver to travel through time the Federation would've been done for, so it just fit well into the concept. It has NOTHING to do with Edith Keeler or timeline preservation through letting people you like die and doesn't claim to. In fact it is pure genius how the episode fits into Star Trek canon.
I didn't do this mission in beta but if I saw text like that, it would have been an even bigger let down.

I agree completely, City on the Edge of Never was cleverly scripted, well thought out and as true to
Star Trek cannon as is possible. It remains my favourite mission/spisode besting State of Q by a hair.

Now if they would/could somehow get William Shatner, Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis, Dwight Schultz and John de Lancie to provide voice overs then this game would really shine.

If it meant securing their voices for a minimum of 10 missions/episodes per year, I'd pony up another $20
for each year they agree to it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Despite my love and support for this game, I'll go on record as saying "Divide et Imperia" is a poorly written mission. By the end of the first room, you realize what is going on and your choices are either to continue with killing Romulan doctors and medics or drop the mission. While some say "drop the mission", doing missions you don't feel like doing isn't very "Star Trek-y" either and ruins any sense of immersion in the universe.

Some of the absolute best Trek ("Pegasus", "In the Pale Moonlight") has often been about doing what's right in the face of evidence, pressure and overwhelming odds against you. At its best, Trek appeals to the better nature of humanity and the desire for a brighter future. If the intent was to give us a moral dilemma, then this mission is a failure, because to have a dilemma we have to have a choice in-game. Avery Brooks didn't get to say "Cut! Sisko wouldn't do this, so I'm not going to do it either." and "drop" the DS9 episode "In the Pale Moonlight", and we shouldn't get the chance to either.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I would like to know where to go..... I have got the mission, but when I go to starbase 39 it really is outpost 2
I go and do the station mission by beaming up the crates and securing the base ETC.... now what?
I go to Vendor....... guess what can't get in........ Help please.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [SF
RJ]I would like to know where to go..... I have got the mission, but when I go to starbase 39 it really is outpost 2
I go and do the station mission by beaming up the crates and securing the base ETC.... now what?
I go to Vendor....... guess what can't get in........ Help please.
Maybe that will help.

Is it inappropriate to ask for some Dev feedback? I think the tone in this thread was relatively moderate and there seems to be a rare case of unity of sentiment regarding the topic. It would be nice to know, that the feedback was heard and is acted upon.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Thank you..... didn't know there was a wiki for STO