Lt. Commander
# 51
02-25-2010, 06:36 AM
As the others here

Lousy scripting

SO SO NOT star Trek

It didnt occur to me she was undine.. I thought she was Section 31 and I was expection a choice to come up to arrest the *****

So not expecting complete railroading to a war crime in STar Trek
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerkuman View Post
Why? Most of the games I consider to be the best, and have the best storyline, are ones that are linear. When the developer has complete control over the writing process, they can put a lot more effort and nuances into it, and have the freedom to do whatever they want with it. By putting the player into the equation, the writers have less freedom to explore.

But, that's my opinion as a fairly strict narratologist, and the debate about narratives in games has been going on for years now. You're perfectly entitled to disagree with me, but if Cryptic hold the same opinions as me, then you'll probably have to deal with it. (As it is in all games, if you don't like how the developer does something then you generally have to put up, or shove off)
This is possibly true... but a good writer can give you options and take the game on cf mass effect and Mass effect 2.

What it doesnt change is making the story not fit the ST background.... Makes every officer who completes this mission a war criminal... and is then glossed over by StarFleet when you report

paraphrase
Oh she was an Undine and so you killed everyone in the hospital - never mind we never gave a jot for romulan scum anyway in star fleet . off you go see if you can get a school next time"
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-25-2010, 09:57 AM
hmm sorry i confused that one with another Undine, which was running around as a Romulan.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-25-2010, 02:33 PM
I had to redo this mission several time because the Admiral would disapear, ust after the last battle started.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I have to agree - my stomach was tied in knots just thinking how Gene Roddenberry might have thought ill of such a storyline. He was never one to shy away from conflict - but the option of doing what was right was the foundation of his tales. I hated this mission afterward and imagined my character had to take many long showers trying to wipe the filth of war crime off of herself. I'm surprised she didn't just fly straight to Romulus and turn herself in...

meh.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
I'm surprised she didn't just fly straight to Romulus and turn herself in...

meh.
Next time I am in the neighbourhood I will do just that.... If the game would allow it that is. Probably a death sentence too! :p
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerkuman View Post
Why? Most of the games I consider to be the best, and have the best storyline, are ones that are linear. When the developer has complete control over the writing process, they can put a lot more effort and nuances into it, and have the freedom to do whatever they want with it. By putting the player into the equation, the writers have less freedom to explore.

But, that's my opinion as a fairly strict narratologist, and the debate about narratives in games has been going on for years now. You're perfectly entitled to disagree with me, but if Cryptic hold the same opinions as me, then you'll probably have to deal with it. (As it is in all games, if you don't like how the developer does something then you generally have to put up, or shove off)
I respect that sentiment, and I'd really like to hear from the writers what their intent really was. My initial response and the response of many other people in this thread was and still is, that this storyline could be done without limiting the writers in a different way. The ideas in this thread would make it more compatible with the Trek lore and would be more enjoyable for those player's who "smell something's wrong".
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
My suggestion:

Give an option to refuse her orders ahead of time. Somehow, someway, she still manages to assume the persona of that commander person and gets away - the end result is the same, storyline is still the same, etc. Shouldn't be too hard of a rewrite.

But I must agree, this mission outraged me because my character *NEVER* would have gone through with that operation.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Bump.

Would still like to see some dev response on this now pretty much universally panned mission.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Still broken!!