Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 What a waste of good dialog
02-18-2010, 02:40 PM
So I'm pretty new to this game, been only playing for 3 evenings, but I'm not feeling the Star Trek in this game at all. Maybe it's because I liked TNG the most out of all series, maybe because I'm a peaceful person....I don't know. Star Trek, in all it's itterations, was about more than just blowing stuff up, this game doesn't seem to be. Best example I've seen so far, the mission where you need to escort the vulcan diplomat to P'Jem. Klingons inform you that the diplomat is a shapeshifter, now in every Star Trek movie/series the captain would have at least investigated this before engaging the Klingons, but not in this game. There are NO options at all but to kill them only to find out that they were actually telling the truth....wtf.

Why did the devs even waste their time offereing questions we can ask if there is no point to it. Everything I have done so far in this game ended with me blowing something up....even the explore mission (ok there was one quest where I had to question some miners....this was by far the most creative I have seen). In fact I'm pretty much just skimming over the quest dialog as it has been pointless 99% of the time. all quests boil down to KILL ALL REDS...then scan/beam something...then KILL MORE REDS. I know that pretty much all MMOs are like this, but no other MMO plays in the Star Trek Universe. I've expected more here tbh.

So my question: Is this it? Will the entire PvE game play be this brailess?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-18-2010, 02:47 PM
You're not alone friend. This game needs some serious, and I mean serious development in dialogue options, as well as story re-writes, and moralistic outcomes, and a whole lot of better attention to detail. It's not Trek at all. It's not even humane at all, the way the game plays out, let-alone Trek. There is no diplomacy options. It's just kill kill kill. And it's borderline obsurd at best, but otherwise completely grossly negligent of the Trek franchise.

-avery
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riv_Ryder
So I'm pretty new to this game, been only playing for 3 evenings, but I'm not feeling the Star Trek in this game at all. Maybe it's because I liked TNG the most out of all series, maybe because I'm a peaceful person....I don't know. Star Trek, in all it's itterations, was about more than just blowing stuff up, this game doesn't seem to be. Best example I've seen so far, the mission where you need to escort the vulcan diplomat to P'Jem. Klingons inform you that the diplomat is a shapeshifter, now in every Star Trek movie/series the captain would have at least investigated this before engaging the Klingons, but not in this game. There are NO options at all but to kill them only to find out that they were actually telling the truth....wtf.

Why did the devs even waste their time offereing questions we can ask if there is no point to it. Everything I have done so far in this game ended with me blowing something up....even the explore mission (ok there was one quest where I had to question some miners....this was by far the most creative I have seen). In fact I'm pretty much just skimming over the quest dialog as it has been pointless 99% of the time. all quests boil down to KILL ALL REDS...then scan/beam something...then KILL MORE REDS. I know that pretty much all MMOs are like this, but no other MMO plays in the Star Trek Universe. I've expected more here tbh.

So my question: Is this it? Will the entire PvE game play be this brailess?
I will attempt to be impartial here because I liked a lot of the content but I feel my views are a bit more... anti-STO than pro. Regardless:

They do a good job with a few of the quests capturing the feel of Star Trek through out the leveling process and to be honest I think Cryptic gave it a good shot. The problem is the game has to be approachable by a wide number of people. The most basic thing to include from day 1 is blowing things up. It is the core of the game.
  • You will capture Star Trek fans because it is Star Trek (at least a very convincing copy of what a person that has never watched Star Trek would make)
  • You will capture MMO fans because it has a lot of people floating around.
  • You will capture action junkies because they get to blow things up.

That was the spirit at least, if my opinion means anything. While I feel the current state is lacking there is a good chance that if the game has a good run it will grow into something pretty great.

Having said that I know it doesn't really answer your question. But I can't just flat out answer it without getting flamed. Oh well...

Yes, blowing things up is all you do. We better duck... it is about to get nasty in here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah it's a complaint as old as the game OP. There a a lot of good suggestions and ideas floating around, and some endgame is supposed to be dropping soon. The hope is that with time, they will flesh it out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-18-2010, 02:52 PM
if you mean "will you be in combat a lot?" then yes.

if you mean "will there be better dialogue?" then yes.

if you just skip all the text and complete the objectives it'll seem like senseless random killing for no reason, but there is a reason and a plot behind it, and its progressive.. the more in to the game you go the more things in the story missions start to come together.

so yes, right now the gameplay mechanics are combat focussed but the story isnt as "bad" as the p'jem mission, some are really very trek.

oh, and if your interested, they're working in diplomatic and exploration missions more like what players have been asking for as soon as they can as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
While I agree with the OP i must say that the potential is there, they "only" need work with it.

Is clear for us (at least, it is for me) than Cryptic did only what Atari want them to do, publish the game at a specified date. So if someone is to blame here is Atari (just like SOE did with Vanguard, though STO is in better shape than Vanguard was).

Now they only need time and to get that time and finally do what we want this game to be they need us to be here playing, paying and helping.

I only hope to see it before next year, is the top date I give them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -avery
You're not alone friend. This game needs some serious, and I mean serious development in dialogue options, as well as story re-writes, and moralistic outcomes, and a whole lot of better attention to detail. It's not Trek at all. It's not even humane at all, the way the game plays out, let-alone Trek. There is no diplomacy options. It's just kill kill kill. And it's borderline obsurd at best, but otherwise completely grossly negligent of the Trek franchise.

-avery
Glad I'm not alone, because i actually think the gamplay is decent and would make for a pretty awesome Star Trek game if it weren't for the non stop killing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metricsimpleton
They do a good job with a few of the quests capturing the feel of Star Trek through out the leveling process and to be honest I think Cryptic gave it a good shot. The problem is the game has to be approachable by a wide number of people. The most basic thing to include from day 1 is blowing things up. It is the core of the game.
I understand your argument and I've played plenty of MMOs to know the drill. I don't mind combat per se, it's hte fact that there isn't even the possibility a diplomatic solution if you are conversing with your "enemy". I think to effectively cater all 3 groups you mentioned there needs to be more depth to the game.
  • Sure, Trekkies will buy this game no matter what....I did, despite reading all the negative reviews
  • The MMO player might take a look, but with a game this shallow, will leave very soon
  • The action junky....come on, you've probably played enough MMOs yourself to know these guys never stick around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
oh, and if your interested, they're working in diplomatic and exploration missions more like what players have been asking for as soon as they can as well.
Now that is some good news.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 AM.