02-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTennent
For once, i agree with Chat and her strangeness
You mean... For once you agree with Chat in public. :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-19-2010, 03:03 AM
I can't say I blame you for being discouraged by all the haters and their ill-informed, poorly evaluated, pedagogic prattle. When you enjoy something it is only natural to be bummed when someone starts talking smack about it. As others have said, ignore them. Haters be hatin'. There are very few game reviews that I think are anywhere close to accurate. Most of the time you can bet that the big name gaming sites that give out stellar reviews are being paid for those reviews in some fashion or another. They are also written by a single person who is usually not qualified to lick batter from a bowl, let alone have an opinion about something.

As for the whiners and malcontents on the forums, just remember that if they didn't have a place to go out and wag their attitudes in total anonymity they would just explode. These are the kind of people that derive pleasure from saying and doing mean things when they think no one is looking. Think about how big their egos must be that they have to announce to the world at large how much they hate something and you should too because that validates their opinion. Ignore them. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a chance to feed them to a targ or something. Kind of hard to whine and gripe when your head is half way down the throat of an angry, smelly, foul tempered Klingon war pig!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-19-2010, 04:17 AM
Most reviewers are biased. The majority of them are console gamers, and are reviewing games with preconceived notions on what they think it should be.

They never look at a game for what it is.

They fail to understand that some games are not meant for hardcore gamers, and are designed with the casual player in mind.

Hardcore gamers seem to forget this too...heheh
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-19-2010, 04:36 AM
Another important thing to remember is that reviewers have no choice but to grade a game based on the quality of the game at launch. Lets be honest here, the first week absolutely sucked.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
Rule #1: About reviews, read them at your own risk.
Rule #2: Be prepared for heavy bias.
Rule #3: Read reviews with a tablespoon of salt (ie dont believe everything you read/hear/see).
Especially if it is overly glowing and wonderous..
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-19-2010, 04:46 AM
Ive read a few reviews and been a bit disenchanted to!

alot of them as people have said are totally biased and some read like fiction!! It was like are you even playing the same game as me?

but then having encountered some players, who basically just want to cookie-cutter, flame everyone and be tip top its unsuprising these types would write bad reviews or moan. Yesterday was in pvp and a klingon player started going on about Viral matrix, and how federation players were "vm *****s", was just like relax, its a game, enjoy it, you can defend against it :S

people moan about repetition the most, I dont know any mmorg that doesnt have that aspect especially when first released. If anything STO has less of that than most others as you have ground and space, pvp and different mission types.

Sure the game has some problems, some which have been annoying me...one the social feel just isnt there for me, but its a far cry from bad. Its pretty enjoyable and hopefully any problems will be worked through as it matures
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-19-2010, 06:22 AM
post on every reveiwers forums about how much you like the game..

I havent read a single reveiw, But seeing how far the game has come sence Pre-order beta started, Im truely amazed. It took SWG 6 months to a year to make the kind of leaps this game has seen.

Its truely too bad that SWG got canned after the first year for NGE version.. never even gave the game devs a shot at that one.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-19-2010, 06:45 AM
I seem to have this habit of really enjoying MMOs that critics think are average at best (CoH/V, CO, and now STO) and really disliking ones that reviewers love (WoW, LotRO, EVE). Go figure. I think reviewers tend to think that MMOs need to follow a formula, and get antsy when one doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
Especially if it is overly glowing and wonderous..
Tip: If the review gives you cavities....you might want to stay away,

Tip: If the reviewer broke out the heavy duty flame thrower, check it out...it could be fun anyway.