Lt. Commander
# 51
02-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
Ah. While I'm sure it will be entertaining, I have serious doubts that it'll beat JC's Avatar. Even if it's a good movie. I mean, JC's Avatar did break a billion without much trouble...
Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Take Twilight for example.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Take Twilight for example.
I know that. I was talking pure numbers. Because we were talking about reviewers not liking things that turned out to be really popular.

That being said, I thought Avatar was pretty good. As in on Star Trek's level good.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Movie reviewers have consistently been anti-sci-fi. Nothing new there.

How many science fiction movies have won the Academy Award? (I'm talking about the ones that count, not the award for "best sound" or somesuch.) Seems the "Hollywood elites" always look down their nose at science fiction - probably because they don't get it.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.S.Krieger
Movie reviewers have consistently been anti-sci-fi. Nothing new there.

How many science fiction movies have won the Academy Award? (I'm talking about the ones that count, not the award for "best sound" or somesuch.) Seems the "Hollywood elites" always look down their nose at science fiction - probably because they don't get it.
And even when they think they do, they've always got it wrong. Oh, Hollywood....
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I also guess the reason I like STO so much is because I have been underestimating MMOs in general. They all feel fairly simplistic and very lowest common denominator to me and then STOs comes a long where I actually have to move around my enemy to defeat him and that just blew me away.

See, I don't think it's fair that people stigmatize this game. Other MMOs aren't really any better. EVE started with a 6.6 on gamespot and in that game you simply wait to level up your skill (if you have to pay for it, why not just get it instantly! Leveling up without actually having to play the game seems like a massive game design fail to me).

The only games where STO might pale in comparison to are Dragon Age and Mass Effect and those aren't even MMOs. Their mission structure and storytelling put EVERY MMO to shame.
Lt. Commander
# 56 don't mind the critics
02-19-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree. The only critic is you. This is the first MMO that I have ever played. I think that every quest is just like being in a star trek episode which is every trekkors dream. The graphics are way better than WOW and Star Wars Galixies. This game is also in it's beginning stages, so as time goes on I don't doubt that content will increase and the game will only get better and better. As far as the Klingon's not having content. If i may offer a theroy. The game developers wanted gamers to get started with the Federation content first, and then move on to the other side of the coin. This way we all can get use to the game play and the leveling and then start playing as klingons.

to Cryptic and Atari i say---Q'pla

"we come to serve"