Lt. Commander
# 141
12-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Heh, don't think I'd mind if they said 2011 for release date...I'd still be pumped for all of this.
Lt. Commander
# 142
12-10-2008, 12:57 AM
It seems like this could be a good deal all around, provided Atari doesn't go the way of Brash and (soon to be) Midway.
Lt. Commander
# 143
12-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinneas View Post
Hello, Infogrames.

Hello Mr. Bonnell, Mr. Sapet.

Hello, Awen.

Welcome to the Star Trek gaming community. Many here have been following STO for a decade so it is understandable folks are doing a bit of freaking out when things like this happen.
---

Money & resources for Cryptic to make STO is totally a great thing for Cryptic, but might we ask you expand of some of the 'bigger' benefits this can bring to STO or what the new 'resources' are?
  • Is this going to allow STO to go world-wide easier?
  • Does it allow combining 'state of the art' technologies? How?
  • Does this mean bigger things for STO like a TV Show/MMO tie-In?
  • How does CBS feel? Are you working with CBS/Abrams?
  • Will you be working with NASA's partnership and licensing program to deliver space and science content for STO?

Anything to help us see what Infogrames 'big picture' for STO is?

If there is one thing we like (especially after a decade of brainstorming and waiting)...it is inspiration.

Might we ask you to try to inspire us?
---
Or Cryptic/Jack/Craig:

What does this mean to you? How does this inspire you?
Still waiting for an official response for this one.
Lt. Commander
# 144
12-10-2008, 02:03 AM
I'd just like to drop a bombshell in here:

Atari have confirmed that they will be paying Cryptic Studios performance based bonuses for the fiscal year 2010-11 for BOTH Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Take from that what you will.

To me, it suggests that the release of Star Trek Online will be prior to April 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 145
12-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Maybe - http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...loperId,46258/
Or Awen The ex-community manager from Jumpgate Evolution... would be my guesses.
Bye-bye STO!!!
Lt. Commander
# 146
12-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaint View Post
Bye-bye STO!!!
haha, you should really read the entire thread before posting...
Lt. Commander
# 147
12-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kalador
ok so atarie owns criptic now. That maybe all well and good but i think we fans.who have been watching this thing from the get go has right to know.Just what this means for the games you people have been siking us for.I mean look u started some thing .You got people already forming teams for when the game lunches.So if you guys are planing for any changes.I think we deserv to know.
We as fans have no "rights" to speak of, but as usual we are left to draw our own conclusions. The franchise once again handed off the license to a company that has failed to get STO off the ground before running out of cash. Now maybe the purchasor can help inject more cash, but in the meantime they have left the audience out to dry.

Coming here after announcing a 2010 release date and then insisting everything is still on track for Fall 2009 with nothing to show but a months-old trailer and a handful of screenshots, that's just bad form. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I didn't believe that for a moment. Now I think we are looking at a 2010 release if we are lucky, and a lack of honesty about what is happening to the community.

Who's looking forward to another year of screen shots?
Lt. Commander
# 148
12-10-2008, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolonael View Post
Awen, Atari, Infogrames, and all other newcomers in the development staff: Welcome.

Resistance is inevitable.

Comments may not seem logical.

The Rules of Acquisition may not necessarily apply...

Regardless, this is a dedicated fan-base... These are dedicated gamers, fans, convention goers, writers, artists, visionaries who embody the essence of what Roddenberry envisioned and gave life to so many years ago. Our fixation immersion is in your hands. I pray you are up to the challenge. You will be confronted by those addicated to the dogma known as canon, you will be harrangued by those seeking freedom of architectural expression, you will be badgered by those seeking multi-perspective ship command, and you will be rewarded if you can provide this expectation in full without concession or willingly cutting corners.

I look forward to experiencing what this new partnership has to offer and takes us where no gamer has gone before.

I would like Icewine with my cheese, please.

Greeting All!! This is my very first post on these forums. I have been in the shadows for quite a while here. I chose this topic as my introduction because as I read through the posts and replies here (and I will probably be labeled a bit crazy) I have gotten even MORE excited about this game, if that is even possible. Though I would use a stronger word than dedicated...lol. Obsessed, could fit for now, sums up the fans of this franchise...well lifestyle really. I definitely do not have the vocabulary of this poster, however my passion is the same. As much "freaking out" and negative comments that have been made throughout this thread with release dates and etc., it has shown me just how obsessed this community is. I do believe that the game WILL be released and I can't wait to jump into it and experience it with you ALL. Hmm, maybe you don't need any cheese as that comment was pretty darn cheesy itself.

Awen, as a gamer I'm sure you can understand the questions, etc. This community, however, is a new breed :-D Thanks for your patience with us and taking the time to post. Welcome aboard.
Lt. Commander
# 149
12-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
- Acquisition Will Provide State-of-the-Art Games and Technology Expected to Boost Atari’s Online Business Growth -

LYON, FRANCE - 9 December 2008 – Infogrames Entertainment, the parent company of Atari, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to fully acquire Cryptic Studios Inc., one of the world’s leading developers, publishers and operators of Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games.

The transaction encompasses all of Cryptic’s proprietary IP, tools, technology and work-in-progress and integrates all members of the leadership team and employees into Infogrames. This acquisition is a critical step in the implementation of Atari’s strategy to become a leading online game developer and publisher.

Cryptic is currently developing three unique MMO franchises, planned for release over the next three years on PC and next-generation consoles, including Champions Online to be released in 2009 and Star Trek Online to be released in 2010. A third game currently in development will be announced in the near future.

Established in 2000 and headquartered in Los Gatos, California, USA, Cryptic has a proven track record of delivering successful MMO franchises (City of Heroes and City of Villains sold to NCSoft) generating over USD 100 million in lifetime revenues and up to 180,000 peak subscribers.

Cryptic is led by a highly experienced management team who shares Atari’s vision in online gaming and who has committed to stay with the group. Cryptic employs approximately 150 professionals, comprising leading industry creative, technical and operation experts with a proven track record in delivering on-time, on-budget titles. Cryptic’s revenues for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2008 amounted to USD 17 million.

Atari will benefit from Cryptic’s powerful proprietary engine, scalable content development tools and online server architecture to deliver very high productivity-per-employee and industry-leading client/server performance and create unique, high quality MMO games on 18 to 24-month cycles. Atari will also gain a proven set of high-quality MMO game operating tools for sophisticated customer service and account management.

David Gardner, CEO of Infogrames, the parent company of Atari, said: “The acquisition of Cryptic Studios brings to Infogrames an outstanding creative organisation, with a proven track-record of success in the fast-growing MMO category. Cryptic’s success is founded on leading-edge technology and the vision of a seasoned executive management team. I am impressed with the tools and technology that Cryptic has developed to make MMOs less expensive to build. Creating vast worlds and interesting interactions can be very people intensive but with the use of Cryptic's toolset they have a proven way of cutting average production costs in half. This is exactly the type of company we wanted to acquire in order to build Atari for the 21st century.”

“We share a common vision with Atari and their leadership team.” said John Needham, Chief Executive Officer of Cryptic Studios, “With our game development and online platform technology skills, we’re very excited about the opportunities that this unique combination with Atari creates. I am committed to helping Atari grow into a leading online game company and look forward to being part of the team.”

About Cryptic Studios
Cryptic Studios, Inc., based in Los Gatos, CA, and established in July 2000, is one of the leading independent developers of massively multiplayer online games. Cryptic is developing three major titles for the PC and current generation consoles, including Star Trek Online, Champions Online and an unannounced project. For more information on Cryptic Studios, please visit http://crypticstudios.com/.

About Infogrames Entertainment and Atari
The Infogrames group, including the Atari brand, is a global producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment software for all market segments and all interactive game platforms including consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony Computer Entertainment, advanced smartphones, Personal Computers, web and online. Its games are sold in more than 60 countries through an international distribution network and direct to consumers via http://www.atari.com/.

Atari’s extensive catalogue of popular games is based on original franchises (Alone in the Dark, Test Drive, V-Rally, My Horse & Me, Backyard Sports franchise, Total Annihilation, Outcast etc.), publishing properties (The Witcher, Legendary, Race Pro etc.), international licenses (Dragon Ball Z, Dungeons & Dragons, Jamie Oliver etc.) and classic games covering the entire history of the video game industry (Pong, Missile Command, Asteroids etc).

© 2008 Atari Europe SASU. All rights reserved.

Champions, Champions Online, and Cryptic Studios are trademarks of Cryptic Studios, Inc. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of CBS Studios Inc and used with permission.
I knew all this was too good to be true, so much for star trek online, Atari sucks.
Lt. Commander
# 150
12-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Funny, I think this will make STO MORE likely to be released. Infogrames need an MMO that is popular to support their business model, Cryptic want to get STO out so they can start making some money off of it. Bonuses and targets have been set relating to the success of the game, this will happen.