Lt. Commander
# 31
12-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi there! I hadn't planned to introduce myself like this, but when in Rome... I'm Nicole or Awen whichever you choose to use. I am the lead community representative for Star Trek Online. (Just started last week so unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to get to know all of you yet.) I'd like to answer some of the questions that you may have right now about this announcement.

The first thing that you should know is that it will be business as usual for Cryptic Studios. We still haven't announced a release date for STO and most likely will not do so for awhile. We like to keep the mystery building.

Basically, this acquisition allows Cryptic to really focus on making these games even better. Our goals are so closely aligned with those of Atari's new direction, that it accelerates our plans to independantly develop and operate really great games.

Overall, you probably won't see alot of changes, but I want to assure you that we're moving on the same track that we were yesterday and things are good.

FYI - Razor has a cold, otherwise you'd see him posting in here today as well.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Greeting AWEN (nice name)
Thank you for coming on and letting us know. We are a easly frightened creature, us MMO'rs. Since Infogames/Atari hasn't created anything themselfs, REALLY, What.. With intune with the development, would they beable to offer that Cryptic's GREAT work has been so far?
Thanks..
And WELCOME AGAIN! *HUG*S

(Am I being to.. Foward?.. Sorry If I am sounding EVIL.. )
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Well this is interesting news. Glad I live in a country that Atari actually distributes in. I feel for our friends in Australia or NZ, where Atari had had a horrible track record for distribution of games such as LOTRO.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Hmm... Sounnds good all in all.

Only bad thing is the 2010 release. How could you not release this at the same time as the movie?

Extra sales ftw.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_40067 View Post
Well this is interesting news. Glad I live in a country that Atari actually distributes in. I feel for our friends in Australia or NZ, where Atari had had a horrible track record for distribution of games such as LOTRO.
I don't think Atari published LOTRO. Turbine and Atari worked on D&D online.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
dont get too worked up yet about the pushback. our original sources said fall 2009 (think oct, nov) and 2010 could be jan or feb (then again it could be dec too). lets not panic quite yet
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Welcome aboard Nicole !! Glad to have a fresh face on board.. Personally, I rather enjoy seeing "Female involvement in all aspects of this game, as we all know girls pay a lot more attention to detail about stuff and can really polish things to make it even better !!!

That being said, I am happy to see you here, as this can only mean good things for this community, and shows that more people are being brought "on board" to assist with making this game better and hopefully, it can be brought to light a lot sooner...

Anyways... Welcome aboard again, I'm very happy that your here!
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
FYI - Razor has a cold, otherwise you'd see him posting in here today as well.
coolbeans

get well soon razor
Lt. Commander
# 39 I'm scared
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
And I'll tell you why:

1. Fall 2009 release has already been pushed back to 2010...maybe?

2. For those who went through the hell that was Perpetual studios, does this sound familiar? It should, because the same thing happened before Perpetual came crumbling down into a pile of broken promises, legal issues, and bankruptcy. I just want my STO, is that so much to ask?
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Actually, Atari nearly went belly up because it was bought by Ted Turner/Time Warner who had a fundamentally wrong view on the business model. They expected the 80's boom to continue forever, and when new invention such as the Japanese arcade invasion, and home consoles came around, they didn't know how to deal with it.
They also fired the creative force behind the company due to boardroom politics and replaced him with a man who used to run a textile business because obviously, he knew all about 'those arty types' like programmers (you just couldn't make this up). We must make the distinction between Infogrames and Atari though, I was under the impression from the story that Infogrames have bought in to the company. They just happen to own Atari as well.

Personally, I would say that this is nothing news as far as the STO franchise is concerned. Infogrames aren't going to pull the plug on a game which could have the potential to print money, whether or not the film bombs is irrelevant.

It IS good news that the release date has been pushed back though. This proves that Infogrames haven't walked in and demanded release of STO as soon as possible, as has happened with many games. Don't forget, games cost millions to develop and don't make a penny back until they are released. Cryptic have just received an influx of money to cover their outgoings for another couple of years worth of development. This says to me that the company is secured and there is no huge rush, they want to get the game perfect, which is music to my ears.

Well done Cryptic, hope you all got nice bonuses for stock or whatever. An 18 month turn around on MMOs is crazy, without the additional pressure of catering for an audience as insane as the Trek one.

As an aside:
This is BIG news for the gaming industry in general. Infogrames only recently finished buying the whole of Atari, and as soon as it all went through, they declared war on the online gaming sector. They did say they plan to conquer it through acquisition (as always), but I didn't see Cryptic on their particular radar. Stupid really, as the fit is perfect. This gives Infogrames proven quantity and quality in the MMO sector, and provide Cryptic with a bigger investment and distribution base.
I happen to disagree with the Infogrames business model, it smacks of the dot-com bubble's 'Get Big Quick' scheme that left everybody apart from Amazon dead. I do think it has been proven that they aren't exactly in the most financially stable position (they fired a large portion of Atari's staff last year and were very close to bankrupt the year before), and this is their roll of the dice. Hit the pay-to-play market successfully and the rest will fall in to place. They should have never bought GT Interactive, and they made some fundamental errors in selling off intellectual properties below market value, just to keep the bailiffs from the doors.
That said, the last year has looked quite rosy for them (kind of), they are still operating at a loss of over $60 million a year but their sales have started to get on the increase now that Alone in the Dark has been released.
My own view is that they have decided that Cryptic will be their online game money spinner, which is only a good thing for gamers. This means keep gamers playing, more content, better gameplay, etc. Works for everyone really, I just hope that Infogrames don't mess up their finances bad enough that they jump the gun on STO and we end up with a below par version.