Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
This is one idea that I keep advocating for Open PvP that is much needed. There needs to be a TRUE Neutral Zone, not some halfass graphic in Sector Space.

Within these Zones, you got Space zones, where PvP can happen at any time and anywhere. And there being places to hide / mask your signature. And the worlds within these zones is where Ground PvP occurs.

Ground PvP, there are 2 seperate (and secured) Beam in points. There are different zones within these worlds, where one direction takes you to the mountains, another to a city, and another where a dungeon to fight over spawns / loot.

This is the best kind of PvP, where you compete for control of dungeons and the world. While a single or a couple of players gets some nice loot, the faction gets a small bonus. Perhaps a faction-wide damage buff, or perhaps the availablity of a really nice PvE zone.
keep sector space a non open enviroment due to the lvel differances between players. a ltc9 getting romped by a adm5 will not be good for the game. what could work and this is really cool....

say for instance you make each system in the nuetral zone a capturable planet. in order to do so however, you must win the space battle, beam down to the surface and win a ground battle. if your in defense of that planet and you go down more then say 3 times, you automatically beam to the surface for ground combat. if your an attacker and die three times, you beam to sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Another thought (added to OP)

It occurs to me that the *purpose* for "wargames" or "senate seat" or "high council seat" would be to have a say in *WHICH* targets would be attacked.

Think of it like this -----------> Say only a single target per day could be selected for your faction to attack...this would mean that you would potentially have a single system to defend and a single system to attack per day per "front" sector block.

If your "House" / "Task Force" / "Legion" affiliation is triumphant in "wargames" or other internal fighting you get a vote in the days target selection.

Each target system's combat would be open for the whole day...a cumulative tally would be made at the end of the day to determine who "won/lost" control of that system. This would also prevent one side or another "steam rolling" a sector block in a single day.

The benefit of having "fixed" high level "House" / "Task Force" / "Legion" affiliations would be to keep the number of "vote buckets" to a manageable number *and* have the side effect of preventing silly names, like say "Goon Squad" for example from being immersion killers (it also would make it easier on the developers since they would have everything "canned" regarding these fixed affiliation groups.)

Let me give an example ->

Klingon Council / High Command -->
1 Leader
6 "House" Seats (Duras, Martok, Mogh, Kozak, K'mpec, M'Rel, Kravokh -- one of which would be "Leader")

Each player Fleet would have the choice to affiliate itself with a particular fixed House, not being able to change this affiliation after some time period has elapsed.

Each "House" would have a daily vote on the next days target, each member of each player fleet of that house making their own selection...the "winner" of that selection would be that house's target choice vote for the next day.

Each house's final target choice would be their "choice" for the next day...if there were to be no majority "choice" then the Lead House's choice would be the pick (this would have the long term effect of encouraging players to distribute their fleets across the "Houses" instead of congregating in one or two.)

There would be a separate voting choice for each warzone sector block, the internal warzone sector blocks (House Battle / Wargame / etc.) would remain internal choices of each house only, simple majority vote.

This system would work exactly the same for Fed and Rom, the only difference being the names.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
maybe im just a bit big headed but these all seem like fantastic ideas that would add a new level of depth to the game..c'mon devs take a look at it
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-19-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm surprised that Cryptic didn't come up with a more meaningful pvp system right out of the gate. Players seem to require it of mmos these days. T5 Klingon pvp is pretty dead; there are about 15 people in the queues for Klingons right now, who knows how many of those are double-queued. A lot of people are getting to 45 and then only logging on to do their daily quests or play an alt. Some sort of sector holding rvr system is going to have to be put in place; asap, really.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacti4-6 View Post
keep sector space a non open enviroment due to the lvel differances between players. a ltc9 getting romped by a adm5 will not be good for the game. what could work and this is really cool....

say for instance you make each system in the nuetral zone a capturable planet. in order to do so however, you must win the space battle, beam down to the surface and win a ground battle. if your in defense of that planet and you go down more then say 3 times, you automatically beam to the surface for ground combat. if your an attacker and die three times, you beam to sector space.
I can understand that it wouldn't be fun for a Tier 1 ship to be pwned by a Tier 5. But you know, I have sort of already encountered that situation in the Borg Hunt Mission, where you could change an instance and end up in a Tier 1 instance (not sure that's still possible since they fixed it). But during those times, I fought Klingons of various Tiers with Tier 2 and 1 Federation ships, and they did okay. They wasn't like Tier 1 mobs vs Tier 5 Players being pwned in seconds. So it would be interesting if a group of Tier 1 players took on a Tier 5 player. If not, I'm sure the zones could be coded for certain Tiers or perhaps half-tiers to make things even more even in battle.

And yes, capturing planets have having a dynamic Front Line would be very fun and keep things interesting. PvE people could probably participate as well with "support' missions.

As for the System, I'm taking my experience from EQ PVP here, I wouldn't be fun if t ended up being a setup where you have to have X ammount of Space Battles to move to the ground. It would be funner if X players had to get past Y's Blockade, so their comrades on the ground could fight their way to the Special Mobs that determine the control of the planet.

Let the players determine the battle, not a queue. It makes the victory a certain victory than cryptics, "nobody loses" standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox77
I'm surprised that Cryptic didn't come up with a more meaningful pvp system right out of the gate. Players seem to require it of mmos these days. T5 Klingon pvp is pretty dead; there are about 15 people in the queues for Klingons right now, who knows how many of those are double-queued. A lot of people are getting to 45 and then only logging on to do their daily quests or play an alt. Some sort of sector holding rvr system is going to have to be put in place; asap, really.
They were set in their ways. Guess most of them were Halo fans, because I don't know any other MMO that uses FPS style PvP Arenas. They just don't know that MMO PvP needs lots of space and various different zones to fight in, to give it a variety. I'm sure people would love to PvP on the ground by hiding in the hills, or PvPing inside a city.

And yes, Tier 5 PvP for Klingons is very dead, which is ironic, since Klingon ships are vastly superior to Federation Ships. Guess they are tired of winning all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-20-2010, 02:42 AM
keep this thread on topic and on the first page. the visibility is needed badly. some kind of something to encourage PvP, team work, and fleet actions. as it sits right now the you dont even need to be in a fleet to be successfull and have access to the best gear... its all through grinding and badges. yes some of the crated stuff is good but pvp fleet actions should IMO be the end all be all as far as gear goes...

nevermind its fun as all get out
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-20-2010, 03:11 AM
I have posted stuff on this in other forums. It is an idea almost straight from "End War", the Tom Clancy game that game like a year ago.

The major problem is what if one side loses? You cant just re-start the war if things go badly. In addition they are still working on the competative balance issues of pvp. It will take some time to get it right before this would work well.

One idea that would at least make me happy in the short run is a dev run "war. This would take more micro-managing than I think they would want to do, but it would be like this:

Sometimes, star systems change hands, and this would be reflected on the in game sector maps. In addition, open instance PVP play could be implemented. 1 on 1 encounters. You have option to fight/flight but winning has rewards special medals for instance.

Large scale system pvp fleet actions. I am not sure if this is even possible, but a Starbase 25 style pvp fleet action for control of some systems. There would be limited respaws for each side, and not every player would get to participate.

This could be accomplished 2 ways. Announcing a fleet action and having signups, and then selected people, or by random searches at the time of the action.

There would have to be a large "waiting room",but this could be easily explained in game by "warping to location, etc..."

I agree with the idea that, as an MMO and star trek...I want to feel immersed in the galactic war going on. I want to feel like my actions could play a part, in some way, on what is taking place.
----
Coincidentally, I also feel like there should be a better way of keeping track of in-game time passage. I went from Ensign to Admiral in 3 weeks real life. Even in a war, it should take years. Apparently War 9 will take you from SB 1 to the Deep Space 9 in roughly 7 minutes LOL Too bad that want the case on tv, they never would have lost the station to the pesky founders.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-20-2010, 03:18 AM
A end game pvp system like this needs to be implemented for sure!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacti4-6 View Post
sounds like on hell of a good idea for end game fleet PvP
why should war be an end game? the war should be for all levels. Its a war, not duels. All ship have their place and have a contribution to make. think team play...every ship you bring to the engagement helps.

I'd gladly welcome all the T1 and T2 ships i could when I push into an objective...casualities are a given in war and its not limited to just low level players. So why stay out of the war because there are guys out there stronger than you? If you contribute as part of a team, the level of the opponent becomes less and less significant.

You never know if it will be the extra fire power of a T1 Miranda that mens the difference between the team winning or losing the objective under contention.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-20-2010, 09:44 AM
it wouldnt be end-game persea but if they implemented a system like previously mentioned and kept it on a timed score basis, those t1-t3 vessels would be a huge crutch for both sides. they would be the focus fire points. when you needed to even the score up...hit the mirandas. there should be a minimum level implemented of say 35. that would keep all things as balanced as the game system could allow.