Lt. Commander
# 1 Hi :-) help....
02-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi....

I recently got STO 2 days ago, and this is my first time ever playing a mmorpg, and its quite challenging with all the micromangment....

I am tier 1, tac officer...and I am kinda looking for "guide" / instructions as to what to do, to get a decent phaser rifle, and progress to tier 2, atm I am walking about the starbase, do u have to do quests there, b4 u can be sent out on missions ?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Jon_George View Post
I recently got STO 2 days ago, and this is my first time ever playing a mmorpg, and its quite challenging with all the micromangment....
Welcome to the game!

You'll be an old pro in now time. It can seem a bit intimidating, and as a LtCmdr-1 I am still learning new things, but you'll have the basics of gameplay down fairly shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Jon_George View Post
I am tier 1, tac officer...and I am kinda looking for "guide" / instructions as to what to do, to get a decent phaser rifle, and progress to tier 2, atm I am walking about the starbase, do u have to do quests there, b4 u can be sent out on missions ?
Early on you should be told to go see Admiral Quinn. He will direct to you Akiru Sulu (they are in the same office). Both of these folks will give you missions via the "Hail Starfleet" button which is part of your mini-map in the upper right. Looks like the Starfleet delta combadge.

You will always get, and turn in, missions via Hail Starfleet so become familiar with it. As you progress through the ranks you will get the option to get missions from other people. Quinn will occassionally also send you to see someone who, once you meet them, will then give you missions.

For phaser rifles -- you should always try to go with even numbered items. For example, as a Lieutenant you want Mk II stuff. As a LtCmdr you want Mk IV stuff. As a Cmdr you want Mk VI stuff, etc, etc. The higher the mark the better the item.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Thanks
02-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome...and help

so basically, go buy, the highest number rifle

the same goes for armor ?

talk to quinn and sulu for instructions ?
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks johnny

need all the help I can get
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2010, 10:35 PM
You won't need to buy weapons or armor for a loooong time. You'll get them as quest rewards and they'll drop pretty often as loot in the ground to ground combat missions.

You'll get a message go to see Admiral Quinn right after the tutorial. When you first beam onto Sol Star Base 01 his door will be RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. It will be blinking. Very easy to see. Just click on it to go in; when he tells you to see Sulu turn around. Sulu's behind you. Later you can contact them and other quest givers via your communicator button. Read EVERYTHING they say. There will be a quiz later. The quiz being, it's info you need to know and if you ask in /zone about something you should have known because they told you, you WILL get mocked. Mercilessly. Don't take it personally.

Read those links, scan the forums for anything that says, 'HOW TO' or "GUIDE", and enjoy yourself in the game. If you do have a question while playing then ask in /zone. the LFG channel is also a good place to go, some of us lurk there because it's a quiet, relaxed place to BS as opposed to the /zone channel which often is hectic. Don't mind the folks who haze you, pay attention to the folks that help you. You'll do fine.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 10:42 PM
This thread -- Academy Information Index -- is a useful and up-to-date index of all relevant player guides that have been posted on these forums.

You might want to peruse some of those.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Welcome on! I hope you enjoy it. I'm hooked
I found those guides posted to be very helpful. feel free to pm me if you see me on and need anything.