Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 111
04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsetira
Well I did not think I really cared much about this issue. That is until I read this post.. Matt Makes perfect sense here. His points are very valid and can not be over looked. I have in the past used UI mods for games like ***, UO and vanguard. They did get pretty messy and the fear of using a mod with a hidden Key logger for passwords was always there.

I officially am on board with Matt, so count my voice as for "Against" the ability to build custom UI mods for STO.

Further more I think Cryptic you have many many more issues that need attention, please dont bother yourself with something that could ultimately cause more work / maintenance then its worth.
Sorry to hear you are against this. I have never had a problem with key loggers in any mods I used in wow. Don't bother you say? The UI they have now is very limited. some of the many many issues they have are UI related. By allowing mods they can let others do the R&D and correct so many of these issues.

--Cap
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Greetings all;

I have read a few of the comments and I'd be happy with just being able to Clear the Interface controls during Game play. to get a pure Cinematic capture of my gameplay.

Is that possible?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 113
04-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSFC View Post
Sorry to hear you are against this. I have never had a problem with key loggers in any mods I used in wow. Don't bother you say? The UI they have now is very limited. some of the many many issues they have are UI related. By allowing mods they can let others do the R&D and correct so many of these issues.

--Cap
It is I whom is sorry, And I do appreciate your point of view and have no arguments against it.

I did not think this would be a concern for me.. but sometimes things people say actually do make sense.. even in the fire pits we like to call forums. and I will admit my first instinct was to Flame away and disagree like everyone else whom jumps on the flamer band wagon before even reading any posts (**not implying thats whats going on, just a general note to common forum behavior)

If there was a system in place for "Sanctioned by Cryptic" on community built Hud mods. That has been tested by cryptic with the game only allowing such approved mods to be used. I may be back on board.

That being said I stll think Cryptic has much more stressing matters to deal with.

Dont get me wrong I would very much enjoy a hud that Reflected the Layout of my G13. I just think the infrastructure should be cryptics responsibility not pushing it aside to the community as volunteer employees doing the development for cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 114
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsetira
It is I whom is sorry, And I do appreciate your point of view and have no arguments against it.

I did not think this would be a concern for me.. but sometimes things people say actually do make sense.. even in the fire pits we like to call forums. and I will admit my first instinct was to Flame away and disagree like everyone else whom jumps on the flamer band wagon before even reading any posts (**not implying thats whats going on, just a general note to common forum behavior)

If there was a system in place for "Sanctioned by Cryptic" on community built Hud mods. That has been tested by cryptic with the game only allowing such approved mods to be used. I may be back on board.

That being said I stll think Cryptic has much more stressing matters to deal with.

Dont get me wrong I would very much enjoy a hud that Reflected the Layout of my G13. I just think the infrastructure should be cryptics responsibility not pushing it aside to the community as volunteer employees doing the development for cryptic.
I 100% agree that Cryptic should "man" up and fix some of this stuff....but I also am a realist. Cryptic has so many other issues to deal with that, by allowing mods, will allow them to let the "modders" do the work while they watch to see what the players want and then, like Blizzard, incorporate those they like into the game itself. This would allow a much faster response to UI issues that, frankly, are minor compared to some of the issues the game has, yet it will quickly increase the enjoyment for the players, who have stuck with them through all the snafus since launch, by making it a bit more customizable.

Cryptic...dont get me wrong. I love the game. I appreciate what you have done and think the best is yet to come but in the meantime please accept some help from the community itself.

--Cap
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 115
04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jransom View Post
Some people internally here (who have clout) have been pushing for UI mods for some time now for both STO and CO. It is a huge task to get that set up given the nature of our UI code so no decision has yet been made to go ahead and make it. I will send this thread to some people internally for more encouragement.
This is really great encouragement.

I believe with good checks and balances this could allow Cryptic to work on the issues that need to be worked on, while giving limited rein to the community to solve issues that are (rightfully so) less pressing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 116
04-14-2010, 02:06 AM
WOW
Alot of the Mods people made to the game, have actually improved the experience and later on become an official part of WOW.

This means that not only do you get to keep some people that might want some kind of mod, you also get FREE! improvement ideas for your game...

Who can say no to free stuff?

Cryptic should open up for modding, that is deffinate.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 117
04-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomulus
Greetings all;

I have read a few of the comments and I'd be happy with just being able to Clear the Interface controls during Game play. to get a pure Cinematic capture of my gameplay.

Is that possible?
Hi there, the default keybind to clear the HUD is ALT-F12. I believe you can change this to a custom bind.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 118
04-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowself
Please, NO MODS. The situation with WoW is a nightmare, especially for the casual player. The default UI there is usable. Barely.
Barely is not acceptable and the STO UI is very poor indeed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 119 Addons
04-16-2010, 08:24 AM
I think they should at least allow addons I for one would like this game a lot better if I had something like Questhelper. I keep getting lost, in space.... Or at least in the explorable space, I seem to never be able to find the planet that needed my commodities.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 120
04-16-2010, 08:43 AM
The UI lacks debuff/status icons to warn you what is happening on your ship...

You cannot stretch out the trays to be as long as you want (why not?)...

Inexplicably if you want to show three rows, the BOff's disappear (who thought that was a good idea?)...

Chat is tabbed and you cannot make it windowed...

The UI is very poor indeed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 PM.