Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo5606 View Post
Will atari interfere with how STO is going to be made?

I would hate it if they came into the cryptic office one day and said...

"Right we are now going to base the STO mmo on the new star trek film."

That would be sad as star trek is not doing too well with its film at the moment.

Atari and Cryptic do not have the right or freedom to do that, as the intellectual property and approval for all those things must come from CBS/Viacom... and even bigger fish than Infrogames.
Lt. Commander
# 42
12-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfx View Post
EA owns Bioware.. not Atari.. you are a bit confused.
Ah well they owned it for the first two kotor's and the never winter nights series. If atari cant hold onto a moneymaker like bioware whats the odds they can hold onto a lesser company like Cryptic?
Lt. Commander
# 43
12-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
Atari and Cryptic do not have the right or freedom to do that, as the intellectual property and approval for all those things must come from CBS/Viacom... and even bigger fish than Infrogames.
Then we should be looking at something that looks like what perpetual had but we are not so you must be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 44
12-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck1771 View Post
Ah well they owned it for the first two kotor's and the never winter nights series. If atari cant hold onto a moneymaker like bioware whats the odds they can hold onto a lesser company like Cryptic?
Atari never owned Bioware. They simply published some of their games, and supplied Bioware with the Dungeons and Dragons license, which they in their turn had licensed from Wizards of The Coast. The previous holder of that license had been Interplay, which Bioware also had worked together with.
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck1771 View Post
Then we should be looking at something that looks like what perpetual had but we are not so you must be wrong.
Confused by your logic.

Perpetual had the same license as Cryptic (Cryptic actually bought it from PE). That license covers all of star trek history that has been released at the time of the license. This includes books, films, cartoons, games, ect... It does not include the unreleased movie.
The actually LOOK of the game is squarely on the developer and has little to do with the IP. All the IP does is allow you to use exact (or close approximations) of shapes, names, ideas, and images of the Star Trek Universe. Things like Warp Drive and The Borg and Transwarp and Phasers and Captain Kirk and Starfleet and The Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 46
12-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I was a little worried about this the day it was posted, but gave myself a few days to think it over and watch the site and the news cycle for anything negative... and, low and behold, the world is still intact. Now I'm starting to like this whole thing... Jack is a smart guy, and I think he made some great points about the ability to use Atari's distribution and marketing stuff... it'll help at launch, and Cryptic will still have control (apparently) over the creative direction of their products. That sounds just fine to me.

Seeing the Atari deal also makes me believe that they really are planning on making this game cross-compatible to a couple platforms (obviously computer and maybe 360?). That's great too, because I'd rather game on my xbox...

Overall good news! Always nice to see a new story posted, thanks Devs! ^^
Lt. Commander
# 47
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
good news bad news who knows what news...lol
game comes out will be happy...
Lt. Commander
# 48
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
Actually, that depends on the nature of the contract I believe. In this case, If it is just generic rights to make an MMO out of the Star Trek IP CBS probably doesn't have any say.
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin_Draco View Post
Did this new article indicate late 2009 as release date? Does anyone have the inside scoop? Thanks.
I don't know if its me, but I get bad vibs from this. Atari will have majority control and what they say goes. Which means that if they think the return on STO isn't likely to be big enough, they WILL pull the plug on it.

Atari has a horrible reputation for destroying good companies. They are almost as bad as EA in that department. I just hope I am completely wrong here, though I dont think I am.

R.I.P. - STO

2008 - 2009
Lt. Commander
# 50
12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet1138 View Post
i dunno i highly doubt that STO will get put on the back burner, let alone shelved. think about it, infogrames just invested quite a bit of money in cryptic, and odds are, they're gonna be looking for a return on that investment. besides, sto is pretty far along in it's production, i'd imagine, if they plan on releasing it in around a year's time. why stop production on an ip so close to being released with such a large and dedicated fanbase to start up another project? it doesn't make sense. all you nay-sayers saying you never saw the sun will soon say you never saw the sun so bright. so in the meantime go get some shades.

LOL why did EA stop production of UO 2 when they were getting ready to beta the nearly finish product? Its upto the bean counters at atari from now on. If they don't think it will pay off, then its gone. Nothing you or I or Cryptic says will change that.