Lt. Commander
# 1 Question
02-19-2010, 06:01 AM
OK...This is a hardware question, but it's not PC Support exactly.

I've failed to keep up with the video card industry as much as I should have.

Currently I run a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. It gets the job done, but I am thinking of replacing it.

Now I know there's STILL the whole argument about what's better, ATI or nVidia...

I do not want ATI...mostly because I've got nVidia now, and I am happy...plus the last 4 ATI cards I tried in other systems, all failed within weeks. Brand new cards too.

The last ATI that gave me no problems was the 8 Meg All in Wonder. hehe

So anyway...Back to my question. I am searching for a replacement card for my 8600....

Currently the system I run is the HP A1600N (please don't laugh. It was free from one of my guild members when my previous system went belly up)

I have modified it slightly...I am running a faster DVD drive, 3GHz cup, and 4 GB PC5300 and replaced the drive with 1TB SATA. So it's a fair setup...and it helped alleviate the stress of not having the money to rebuild from the ground up at a time I was severely financially fubar.

So anyway...back on track again....Staying with the nVidia...what card should I get that this computer could handle without having to purchase a new power supply...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
OK...This is a hardware question, but it's not PC Support exactly.

I've failed to keep up with the video card industry as much as I should have.

Currently I run a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. It gets the job done, but I am thinking of replacing it.

Now I know there's STILL the whole argument about what's better, ATI or nVidia...

I do not want ATI...mostly because I've got nVidia now, and I am happy...plus the last 4 ATI cards I tried in other systems, all failed within weeks. Brand new cards too.

The last ATI that gave me no problems was the 8 Meg All in Wonder. hehe

So anyway...Back to my question. I am searching for a replacement card for my 8600....

Currently the system I run is the HP A1600N (please don't laugh. It was free from one of my guild members when my previous system went belly up)

I have modified it slightly...I am running a faster DVD drive, 3GHz cup, and 4 GB PC5300 and replaced the drive with 1TB SATA. So it's a fair setup...and it helped alleviate the stress of not having the money to rebuild from the ground up at a time I was severely financially fubar.

So anyway...back on track again....Staying with the nVidia...what card should I get that this computer could handle without having to purchase a new power supply...

Honestly...stick with your card, and just update the drivers till your ready for a real upgrade.
To get any noticible difference, i'm afraid you will need a new motherboard, and CPU as well.
I'm not certain your power supply or motherboard can handle it, but you may be able to try a 9600gt...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar_Corvus
Honestly...stick with your card, and just update the drivers till your ready for a real upgrade.
To get any noticible difference, i'm afraid you will need a new motherboard, and CPU as well.
I'm not certain your power supply or motherboard can handle it, but you may be able to try a 9600gt...
That's what I was trying to avoid...but I had a sneaking feeling that would be the case.

I figured I'd beefed up that a1600n as much as I could...I'll hold off on the video card...and just sock away money to build a new one from the ground up since my finances aren't so fubar now.