Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Ship Types and Player Classes
02-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi there,

Been playing STO for a couple of days - having a lot of fun so far (even though I'm only Ensign 5). I just came across a few threads that suggest that some player classes are better suited for certain ship types. Can someone explain this?

I am a Tactical Officer, but I love how the classic large ships (the Excalibur class, for example) look. Does this mean that I should have chosen an Engineering profession?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-19-2010, 09:04 AM
No. You'll be perfectly fine flying any ship class. I'm an Engineer and I currently captain an escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skivv
No. You'll be perfectly fine flying any ship class. I'm an Engineer and I currently captain an escort.
That's awesome! Thanks! I can't wait to get my hands on an Excalibur-class starship.

Why is it that I hear some discussion that Tactical players should end up commanding Escorts?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Not specifically no.

Some of the abilities you'll get as a player (such as attack pattern alpha for tactical, or miracle worker as an engineer) are boosted by putting points into the [ship type] captain skills (in the K menu) for instance, Attack Pattern Alpha III is boosted by Heavy Escort Captain (commander-level escorts). Even if you're not flying that ship type, you can put points in. However, you lose out on the fact that those skills are not otherwise benefiting you; for instance, at the commander level, if you flew cruisers, you'd be in a heavy cruiser, and wouldn't get the bonuses from heavy escort captain (other than the boost in effectiveness to attack pattern alpha).

That probably could be clearer, but essentially, you're losing a little bit one way or the other (either put points into relevant cruisers and your player tactical abilities aren't improved; note that other skills you can take, notably, ones that improve weapons will affect your tactical bridge officer powers) or put points into the relevant escort skills and your survivability (ship hull, turn rate) will be a little lower.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
(even though I'm only Ensign 5)
Just a note .. you should be spending your skill points. You're automatically made a Lt. once you start spending them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC26 View Post
Just a note .. you should be spending your skill points. You're automatically made a Lt. once you start spending them.
Thanks. I had spent for 9 points in Starship Command. I'm a bit of a min/maxer, so I'm a bit nervous spending points in skills that I'm not sure will benefit my Player CLass (Tactical Officer). Are there certain recommended skills you'd suggest Tactical Officers take?

Edit: I just spent 9 points in Starship Projectile weapons and that pushed me into Liueutenant. Thanks Any others you'd recommend?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvisota
Not specifically no.

Some of the abilities you'll get as a player (such as attack pattern alpha for tactical, or miracle worker as an engineer) are boosted by putting points into the [ship type] captain skills (in the K menu) for instance, Attack Pattern Alpha III is boosted by Heavy Escort Captain (commander-level escorts). Even if you're not flying that ship type, you can put points in. However, you lose out on the fact that those skills are not otherwise benefiting you; for instance, at the commander level, if you flew cruisers, you'd be in a heavy cruiser, and wouldn't get the bonuses from heavy escort captain (other than the boost in effectiveness to attack pattern alpha).

That probably could be clearer, but essentially, you're losing a little bit one way or the other (either put points into relevant cruisers and your player tactical abilities aren't improved; note that other skills you can take, notably, ones that improve weapons will affect your tactical bridge officer powers) or put points into the relevant escort skills and your survivability (ship hull, turn rate) will be a little lower.
Thanks, Talvisota. That kind of makes sense. So, for my purposes, since I'd like to command the Excalibur-class ship, are there any immediate disadvantages to me doing so? Or, for my best/optimal experience, should I stick to Escorts instead of cruisers as I level up?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-19-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm an engineer flying everything but cruisers. I prefer science vessels, but fly escorts as well. The only real advantage to sticking with the class of ship designed for you class is the bridge officers abilities.

You can only train the same class of bridge officers that your captain is. And off class ships only use the first two abilities of the other BOffs. So if you learned all nine ranks of Starship Torpedo Weapons and wanted to train one of your tactical officers Torpedo : High Yield III you could, but since it's a third tier ability they wouldn't have access to it on anything but an escort.

And even if you did learn all nine ranks of Starship Shield Performance you couldn't train an engineering officer Extend Shield III since you weren't an engineer. But if he learned it from another BOff he could use it since Cruisers get higher end engineering options.

You ship won't be as specialized as someone that did train their own bridge officers with the higher end skills but it's not necessary to use them either.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88822 is a great resource to see which ships can use which level of bridge officer skills.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=118581 is an index to some of the best places explaining all the options in better detail.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Just made commander last night. Engineer and been flying cruisers. I picked the heavy cruiser, but was bummed when I could not use all the cool cannons I have collected. So I purchased an escort as well.

Besides having to fight completely different, I think the engineer works well in both ships. If you have been flying cruisers and try to switch be prepared to get tore up a few times. You can't just sit there and go toe to toe. The shields go quick and your hull is made out of wet paper towels.

So I switched to a hit and run tactic not offering any one side of my ship for to long, and hammered em with cannons. That worked out pretty well. Its a bit tougher with 3 or more ships shooting at you though. I am still working it out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks a lot, guys. So, given that I'm really only looking at picking up a Cruiser (Excalibur) for my Tier II (LtCommander) craft, the specialization benefits really shouldn't impact me that much, right?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 AM.