Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobe
I highlighted some key phrases there.

While you are correct that STO needs this, that is only part of the bigger picture. We CANT have Territory control right now. Especially not 'any time any day without ques'. The ques are the only thing currently keeping PvP half-way balanced. If you take away that and give us a big persistant PvP battle like you describe, it will never work. The Klingons would never ever win, because of this massive population difference. There are like 10+ Feds for every Klingon.

Before cryptic can implement something like this, they first need to get the populations of the two sides evened out, and that will not happen by PvP improvements. Improving PvP will be just as beneficial to the Fed side as Klingon side, and will not improve the Klingon population.

In order to balance out the population, they need to make Klingons equally attractive to play as the Feds are. That means we need a massive amount of PvE content added.

It doesn't matter if you guys are ok with Klingons being "pvp only". The fact is, that is the reason why our population is so low. As it stands, we could never compete in large scale PvP. As is, it is often difficult filling out a full 10 klingons in T5 Capture & Hold. How much fun will Territory control be when the game is 50+ feds vs 14 Klingons? Because that is what it would end up being, with today's population.

PvE needs to come first, to improve population. Then we can worry about better PvP.
Nah they needed more PvP content. You can't call a faction a PvP faction and then just add PvE content it doesn't make any sense. Thats the cause of the low population, the PvPers came and didn't find PvP except in little arenas.

Klingons need PvPers not PvErs that use small scale instanced PvP to screw off or to get the quick rewards. Klingons need to be conquering not playing mini games or farming anomolies.

If you want more klingons then you need more PvP, there is plenty of PvE on the fed side.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe59 View Post
One thing that would give much needed revitalization to this game's pvp portion (and about the only thing that's going to save it in the long run i think) is territorial control , make an entire star cluster ( on the size of eta eridani or even multplie clusters that size) and have it as a persistant control mechanic system . If the fed's own it klingon's can go take it ,or vice-versa , any time of day no timers no queues .

Have player's competing in said system of control ranked on they're overall progress , IE if a player spends 2 or 3 hours a day in the control systems and plays a significant role in conquering that area (more kills then deaths , possibly have some sort of capture mechanic like the current capture and hold pvp matches) then they get points or something towards some sort of global pvp ranking system .

The "any time of day" portion of the idea would mean that no matter what time you log on there's going to be SOME kind of battle going on , whether defense or attack . with the UK players it could conceivably be ongoing 24 hours a day.

Maybe add some kind of a badge system like with the pvp dailies , but have a MUCH broader selection of gear and weapon types , not just anti-proton. (i want my damn disruptors back !!!)

Be careful what you wish for. With Feds outnumbering Klingons 4 or 5 to 1 (that's a guestimate, wonder what the real numbers are and what they will be in another month) any contested sector would probably be Fed owned 90+% of the time. Likewise the rewards would go to the "winning" faction, meaning the Feds would get 90+% of them.

Too little, too late? Definately too little. Pretty soon they're going to have to offer free membership to anyone playing Klingon, or maybe pay us to play.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
There are ways to create good viable persistent PvP on static maps with instanced battles here. It's been done in other MMO's already. The demographic imbalance is also more or less easy to design around. I've posted several times on these very issues. It's not that it can't be done, that is for certain.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
well lets see first off cryptics pve is easy to the point of ridiculousness i.e a maranda and kill a negvar without taking hull damage and any t5 ships can kill a cube without loosing shields its just sad i lvled 1.5 feds and heres how it would go the space pve would take 30 seconds and the ground pve would take 10 min(not because its hard but merely boring and long) then another 30 second space pve and that was it

the only hope this game has at keeping people other than the Trekkie nerds that bought lifetimes is decent and meaningful pvp now do i think cryptic will put decent and meaningful pvp in? nope i dont which is why im not giving them anymore money

they have no endgame and the only end game they have even mentioned they are putting in is pve which im sure will be easy and meaningless just like the rest of there pve

if cryptic so much as made a post on the forums saying be pacient we are working on x to develop meaningful pvp and will get it out when we can id be more inclined to keep looking in and maybe resub when it was relased but atm i doubt mean of us will even bother with looking back
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savaage
if cryptic so much as made a post on the forums saying be pacient we are working on x to develop meaningful pvp and will get it out when we can id be more inclined to keep looking in and maybe resub when it was relased but atm i doubt mean of us will even bother with looking back

Cryptic doesn't say much at all about what they are planning or when it will happen. Easier not to break promises that way. But it frustrates the hell out of their paying customers.

For example: Klingons will get a T2 cruiser - nada about the cruiser itself or when it will come. Ditto on Fed v Fed PvP.

Can't seem to find where Cryptic employees are even posting on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I really would like more PVE options, at least away missions where your bridge officers aren't just a set of skills.

On the other hand there is alot of way to tighten the pvp package, instead of making queues for maps that are basically the same why not rotate the maps and keep the queue one, this way you don't need to queue for briar patch, or solar wind, or cracked planetoid.

On another note remove solar wind cause it apparently ruins the pvp for people with the lower end computers who cannot handle alot of the particles in that map (its a pretty terrible map anyway).
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
The star cluster needs to come ASAP. If I have to play one more cracked planet match, I am going to drink the last of the (quite numerous barrels of) bloodwine on my ship, and self destruct. One can only do the same exact thing so many times in a row (crappy arena pvp) before they get the urge to kill themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
The star cluster needs to come ASAP. If I have to play one more cracked planet match, I am going to drink the last of the (quite numerous barrels of) bloodwine on my ship, and self destruct. One can only do the same exact thing so many times in a row (crappy arena pvp) before they get the urge to kill themselves.
I very much agree. Add somemore pve, with the Klingons taking over planets, pushing around the population, would be awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlaw View Post
I very much agree. Add somemore pve, with the Klingons taking over planets, pushing around the population, would be awesome.
Exactly, that and a couple of large open PvP zones. The 'Klingons are about PvP" is a dismal failure Cryptic... move on.

These star clusters are as boring as watching paint dry and the "fleet actions are a total bust considering there's no way for a fleet to actually do them.

Lt. Commander
# 30
02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker2009 View Post
I'm counting today is 17 days since Release, which should mean the 45 day large content patch is about 28 days away....
Where does this magical "45 day" time table come from? Seriously, is there a link? I would like to see it.