Lt. Commander
# 11
02-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrQuan3
Can anyone provide a link to a dev post covering why the decision was made to only allow one torpedo to fire at a time? There must be some gameplay reason that they would rather require all players to use clicky abilities instead of modifying the ship load-out.

To be honest, I've never been so ****ed at a game as when I discovered that it is only possible to fire one torpedo every three seconds. Torpedoes have always been spike damage. Converting them to DPS doesn't even make sense.

Yes, I know about High Yield Torpedo skills, but I fail to see how doing 4x damage using a single weapon slot is a better game mechanic. I'm probably just missing something here.
The cooldown allows a single torpedo to do significant burst damage without allowing multiple launchers to do insane burst damage - it's a balancing factor.

Likewise, Torpedo: High Yield allows you to have a bigger burst, but not on every shot.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-24-2010, 06:00 AM
No, I guess in my mind I'm still picturing how other Star Trek games do things. All the forward torpedoes fire in a volley, but they don't do 10x the damage of the phasers either.

If I study my first post, I'm really asking for a visual effect, not a game mechanic.

Cut torpedo damage, allow volley shots, and change High Yield to do overload damage instead of making torpedoes appear out of thin air? Nope, that's a major overhaul of a game system that's otherwise working fairly well right now. Probably not wise.