Lt. Commander
# 1 Exploit Heavy PvP setup?
02-19-2010, 03:16 PM
I've run into a few games where I get one shot because I get exploited by a crowd of KDF so quickly. Is there a trick to this? Is this simply luck? Gear based? What?

I'd love to figure out this secret, or at least a way to defend myself. I don't like being incinerated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Probably just got hit by focused rapid fire cannons.

The only thing that stops it from happening later kind of is reverse shield polarity, but that's only if a decent number of them are using beam weapons (later on they will be, since the cruiser shows up)

It's definitely one of the dumber aspects of PvP right now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I think hes talking about ground combat, the "i get exploited" kinda gives it away.
I suggest putting that in your Post or topic as people mix them up if you don't specify them.
And now for the OP, the fastest way to get someone into exploit state is melee, as there combo's that can expose players dont have cooldowns so you can spam it as fast as the combo allows , no need to wait 12s for your gun.

On a sidenote i do notice that the 1 person fragile hold, stasis field iirc, has a pretty high expose rate or i was on the really bad end of RNG as give or take 7 outta 10 hold got me exposed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
my load out for ground consists of a suit that does the leg sweep ability, lunge and stealth. also lover running around with the klingon sword thingy... im not concerned about dps, only winning the match so if i have a partner in crime doing ranged attacks im happy
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2010, 03:56 PM
"Secret" #1:

Most expose powers have a base 10% chance of actually causing an expose. So a Science Officer with a research kit can usually go though the list of his four powers and fire off an expose weapon, and has a 49% chance of actually triggering an expose on each enemy in their area of effect. All within about half a second. From there, someone with a wide-beam rifle or other exploit weapon can fire once and make a kill.

In close second, a hand-to-hand expert using a bat'legh of empty hands has a chance of exposing on every attack. So while they can't match the 50% expose rate in 0.5 second trick some of the Science guys do, they are still very dangerous. The good news is that these guys can usually be dealt with using a palm-strike or rifle butt, which has the same high chance to expose, hold, and knock back the attacker. Stun beams can really fustrate these people too.

Even the engineers can get in on the exploit action with an enemy neutralization or equipment technician kit. A Weapons Malfunction, Fuse Armor, and weapon burst combo can really ruin an opponent's day even if it doesn't end with an expose.

But that's part of how they do it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelyth
I think hes talking about ground combat, the "i get exploited" kinda gives it away.
I suggest putting that in your Post or topic as people mix them up if you don't specify them.
And now for the OP, the fastest way to get someone into exploit state is melee, as there combo's that can expose players dont have cooldowns so you can spam it as fast as the combo allows , no need to wait 12s for your gun.

On a sidenote i do notice that the 1 person fragile hold, stasis field iirc, has a pretty high expose rate or i was on the really bad end of RNG as give or take 7 outta 10 hold got me exposed.

Being the one that holds people a lot with this, I can tell you that you were just unfortunate. The expose rate on it feels like 10% when using it. The problem for the enemy is they have no way to prevent me from piling on four other chances for me to expose when they are being held.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
I've run into a few games where I get one shot because I get exploited by a crowd of KDF so quickly. Is there a trick to this? Is this simply luck? Gear based? What?

I'd love to figure out this secret, or at least a way to defend myself. I don't like being incinerated.
There's a hotkey (I think default 'g') to target next exposed enemy.

Weapons with a multi-target exploit secondary (Split-Beam Rifles, Auto-Targeting Assault Weapons) don't even need to bother with that, they can just mash fire as soon as they hear the sound or see the graphic.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2010, 05:12 PM
I have a science officer set up for exposes. Three from a kit, two from weapons, all cones. I can cycle through the lot in ten seconds, usually expose two or three opponents, then go hide while the cooldowns tick and other team members exploit them. With that many players down, the rest drop quickly before they can regroup.

The opposing team usually cries about it in zone chat.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
I have a science officer set up for exposes. Three from a kit, two from weapons, all cones. I can cycle through the lot in ten seconds, usually expose two or three opponents, then go hide while the cooldowns tick and other team members exploit them. With that many players down, the rest drop quickly before they can regroup.

This made me think of a match where I accidentally equipped two plasma pulse rifles. I have to say, that was insanely effective at exposing large groups of enemies.

Too bad I was alone that part of the match, heh.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru

I'm using a similar setup (Lt. Cmdr - two exposes from class abilities, three from kit, one from weapon) - it's effective at giving your team wins, but you personally will almost always place dead last in damage, and get crap rewards.