Lt. Commander
# 11
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
I'm using a similar setup (Lt. Cmdr - two exposes from class abilities, three from kit, one from weapon) - it's effective at giving your team wins, but you personally will almost always place dead last in damage, and get crap rewards.
Might want to play a bit more aggressively then.

As a Lt. Commander I was almost always lead damage. I would run with the Stasis Field, Radiation, and Tachyon Harmonic kit with a Plasma Pulse Rifle and a Split Beam Phaser.

What I opened with would vary greatly, but try and open up with Stasis Field, switch targets and use Tachyon Harmonic/Tricorder Scan. Feel free to throw another ability in if you like, but I normally move to the pulse rifle by now unless there are a number of exposes waiting to be popped with the split beam. That combo takes all of a few seconds to launch and usually leaves you time to exploit the exposes with your Split Beam.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-19-2010, 06:05 PM
It's mostly about the AE exposes and the map design.

If you hit one person with an expose attack, there's a 10% chance you'll expose them.

If you hit 5 people with an expose attack, obviously your odds are much better that one of them will get exposed. If you can launch several area-effect expose attacks back to back from several people then you have really high odds of exposing someone, and once that 5v5 becomes 5v4 or 5v3 you can probably push through and chew up the remaining people with regular attacks.

The fact that all of the ground combat maps right now are mostly narrow hallways and corners means there's always a lot of clumping going on, so those area-effect attacks are solid gold.

It's part of why I wish Cryptic would release more maps, including open "outdoor" maps. With more room to maneuver and flank I think you'll see different tactics come into play and those AE expose attacks won't be so dominating.

But for now, it's all about the AE expose.

I also personally carry 2x split beam exploit rifles. As a Tactical with very extensive ground combat training I do incredible damage even without an expose (at least on targets that don't have a high resist ability running). I can kill unbuffed people in 2 shots anyway sometimes and I'm more likely to be ready to jump on someone else's expose attack if necessary.

Arguably, a science officer might do well with 2x exploit weapons too, and just rely on your AE science abilities to get the exposes.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Call me stupid, but I like using two Sniper rifles, and switching them out to get off two shots while pumping up my damage. It seems to wark acceptably well.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-19-2010, 07:20 PM
our secret weapon is this
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
It's mostly about the AE exposes and the map design.

If you hit one person with an expose attack, there's a 10% chance you'll expose them.

If you hit 5 people with an expose attack, obviously your odds are much better that one of them will get exposed. If you can launch several area-effect expose attacks back to back from several people then you have really high odds of exposing someone, and once that 5v5 becomes 5v4 or 5v3 you can probably push through and chew up the remaining people with regular attacks.

The fact that all of the ground combat maps right now are mostly narrow hallways and corners means there's always a lot of clumping going on, so those area-effect attacks are solid gold.

It's part of why I wish Cryptic would release more maps, including open "outdoor" maps. With more room to maneuver and flank I think you'll see different tactics come into play and those AE expose attacks won't be so dominating.

But for now, it's all about the AE expose.

I also personally carry 2x split beam exploit rifles. As a Tactical with very extensive ground combat training I do incredible damage even without an expose (at least on targets that don't have a high resist ability running). I can kill unbuffed people in 2 shots anyway sometimes and I'm more likely to be ready to jump on someone else's expose attack if necessary.

Arguably, a science officer might do well with 2x exploit weapons too, and just rely on your AE science abilities to get the exposes.

Also, theoretically a pre-made with pure split beams should be able to vaporize anything within seconds, even without an expose. Not sure how this works at max level though.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Ryugi_Kazamaru View Post
Call me stupid, but I like using two Sniper rifles, and switching them out to get off two shots while pumping up my damage. It seems to wark acceptably well.
Use the split beam rifle. Same damage per hit, just a little slower reload and hits 4 targets instead of 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrishmal
Also, theoretically a pre-made with pure split beams should be able to vaporize anything within seconds, even without an expose. Not sure how this works at max level though.
Yeah, pretty much. My guild always rolls people and we all use split beams as our primary weapon. The nice thing is that even if 1 enemy has good resists, you'll be hitting his nearby friends too. And engineer deployables aren't as big of a distraction because they go down in two or three split beam attacks whether you were aiming for them or not.

You could also carry 2x expose weapons and just expose people for your team, but since XP is rewarded based on damage contribution you end up getting shafted.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Ugh, I'm so close to rerolling my alt as Science because I've noticed any time I get SF'd I get insta gibbed. I don't know if they need balancing or if this is working as intended, but it's starting to look very appealing. >_>
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
Ugh, I'm so close to rerolling my alt as Science because I've noticed any time I get SF'd I get insta gibbed. I don't know if they need balancing or if this is working as intended, but it's starting to look very appealing. >_>
Every class has good stuff for ground combat in my opinion. As science you get all the expose holds and other expose AEs (the root is a nasty one too). Engineers get snare mines and weapons malfunction (skip the deployables, they're mostly useless).

As Tactical, just train everything up related to rifles in the ground combat tree and walk around with 2x Split Beam Rifles. You won't be sorry to be Tactical anymore. Tacticals also have some great kits for buffing teammates that really helps steamroll enemy teams that don't use those abilities (e.g., overwatch, draw fire, suppressing fire, smoke grenade, rally cry -- all very nice if your team sticks together).

And regardless of what you are, if you don't have hypos in every slot and filling half your backpack, you're doing it wrong. Biggest mistake I see in ground PvP is people not using hypos. Past T1 there's really no excuse not to load up on them. You make way more money than you need for anything else anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
I've run into a few games where I get one shot because I get exploited by a crowd of KDF so quickly. Is there a trick to this? Is this simply luck? Gear based? What?

I'd love to figure out this secret, or at least a way to defend myself. I don't like being incinerated.
I think there must be a glitch. Every now and then I fight someone who exposes all the time, 100% of the time. The first two or three instant 100% success exposes you think it might be luck. After four or five times you can be pretty sure its a bug.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
And regardless of what you are, if you don't have hypos in every slot and filling half your backpack, you're doing it wrong. Biggest mistake I see in ground PvP is people not using hypos. Past T1 there's really no excuse not to load up on them. You make way more money than you need for anything else anyway.

Blue side I think the only place to buy large hypos is ds9. The pvp shop id 2 sectors away. Plus some people pve, which means they need space in their inv. There really needs to be more potion shops blue side. And less explortion shops that noone ever uses/