Lt. Commander
# 21
02-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Ok. I am seriously thinking it is one of 3 possible things.
  • The computer is shutting down via a process known as shutdown.exe. This is rare, but your problems sound like a symptom of it. Especially since you are on a network. If you want to try and see if it is this, follow these instructions:-

Create a shortcut on your desktop and enter the following " C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe -a" without the quotes, and where "c" is your Windows installation. Run the game, but at the charatcer selection screen OR login screen, alt tab and run that shortcut once or twice.
  • You may have a registry problem, where, when the game is writing to the registry while you play or load, it is encountering a process in a way that may never complete. Windows is known for just shutting down the machine or throwing out a BSOD to stop problems occuring. Only real way to solve this, is to backup your important files and perform a full Reinstall of windows. (Do not connect to the network at all while you do this)
  • The main thing that causes this problem is faulty power supplies. I know you may thing "but how can this happen on 3 machines", but trust me it can. One thing i would like you to do to see if it is this option, is run the following program.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

When you are running it, look on the bottom left and note the voltage by the "+12v" label. Do this for each machine while you are at your desktop, and at the character select or login screen. Please post your results here.

Theres are the 3 problems i have narrowed your problem down to. Peform them in the order 1st, 3rd, 2nd to help your problem.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Ok. I am seriously thinking it is one of 3 possible things.
  • The computer is shutting down via a process known as shutdown.exe. This is rare, but your problems sound like a symptom of it. Especially since you are on a network. If you want to try and see if it is this, follow these instructions:-

Create a shortcut on your desktop and enter the following " C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe -a" without the quotes, and where "c" is your Windows installation. Run the game, but at the charatcer selection screen OR login screen, alt tab and run that shortcut once or twice.
  • You may have a registry problem, where, when the game is writing to the registry while you play or load, it is encountering a process in a way that may never complete. Windows is known for just shutting down the machine or throwing out a BSOD to stop problems occuring. Only real way to solve this, is to backup your important files and perform a full Reinstall of windows. (Do not connect to the network at all while you do this)
  • The main thing that causes this problem is faulty power supplies. I know you may thing "but how can this happen on 3 machines", but trust me it can. One thing i would like you to do to see if it is this option, is run the following program.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

When you are running it, look on the bottom left and note the voltage by the "+12v" label. Do this for each machine while you are at your desktop, and at the character select or login screen. Please post your results here.

Theres are the 3 problems i have narrowed your problem down to. Peform them in the order 1st, 3rd, 2nd to help your problem.
This is P3's husband now.

I respectfully appreciate the help but the error message posted above from event viewer is from manually having to shut down the PC after the Video card hard crashes.
The Vid card crashes, not the PC. The screen goes blank but the PC is still running. There is no instances recorded in event viewr.

It is a fresh install of the OS. No anti virus has been installed. Brand new video card with clean case.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Try download it. There's be reports of buggy disks.

http://www.startrekonline.com/download
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight

Will do! *fingers crossed*
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone3 View Post
Will do! *fingers crossed*
Make sure to uninstall STO first reboot then install it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight

I would accept that if I hadn't had four days of gameplay with this disk already.

--
On another note, I apologize in general for miscommunicating the actual error I was encountering. Apparently I was incorrect in saying that the computer was shutting down, instead it was completely incapacitated and it is the video card crashing.

Edit: ok honey, I'm staying out of this now. =P Sorry!
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Try connecting the PCs to different wall socket. I have seen strange problems occuring on PC when there was a problem with electrical outlet (had a bad ground wire) .
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone3 View Post
I would accept that if I hadn't had four days of gameplay with this disk already.

--
On another note, I apologize in general for miscommunicating the actual error I was encountering. Apparently I was incorrect in saying that the computer was shutting down, instead it was completely incapacitated and it is the video card crashing.

Edit: ok honey, I'm staying out of this now. =P Sorry!
What is your specs? Did you recently upgrade the video cards? It starting to really sound like a power issue. I think the others are on the right track.

There has to be a common factor between the 3 systems. I was thinking software hence downloading the client because it will have the most current build.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-20-2010, 08:09 AM
it would help a lot if he'd post the results from that program, instead of just blindly ignoring any help he's given.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
it would help a lot if he'd post the results from that program, instead of just blindly ignoring any help he's given.
Yes it would. They always refuse to believe the issue could be on their end.