Lt. Commander
# 41
02-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post

Sounds like you have bad gcards or driver corruption to be honest with you.

By any chance have you tried running the game in safe mode from the launcher and see if it works?

Also, what temp is your GPU running at while the game is running, and idle?

Or have you tried the advanced command line " -perframesleep10" yet? I know the option is ingame for it, but it is enterable into teh advanced command line box in your launcher options

As for your temperatures, they do seem slightly high, if you took them while idle. Although theyre not worth worrying about yet. Can you take another reading for me when the game is running. Either on the login screen or at character select

Trying to run in safe mode brings up this message.....

First I got a message about the video drivers not being up to date ( but they are).

Then I got this...

Couldn't create D3D device.

oops...your cryptic application has crashed.To help us out, please indicate what was going on at the time of the crash while we gather information.

Looking through the forums, others are having the same problem so I think I'll just wait to see if anything is discovered before running any more tests or installing more software. Thanks for trying. I am guessing the video drivers are at fault here and there isn't anything anyone can do about that except Nvidia or Cryptix.

Trying to access game options freezes the game up solid. It doesn't crash, it freezes.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-20-2010, 02:09 PM
I still think this is a problem with an electricial device... Why is the SAME thing happening on 3 different machines? Or was that a miscommunication that was cleared up a little later in the discussion that I missed?

Both Pegasus and I pointed to a possible issue with your wall socket/surge protector/circuit breaker. Old houses equal old wires equal crappy surges and brownouts. It really is the only thing I can think of if all three computers are suffering the same fate. That or a virus that is present on all three; without virus protection on Windows XP and going online you are almost guaranteed to have some.

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

EDIT: You do not need an electrician. You have a laptop; carry it to a location different in the house on a different circuit and try it there. (Still could be the main circuit breaker though).

Keep trying tedgp123's stuff too because it may not be what I think it is.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Wassabi, we appreciate your suggestions but it is not a circuit or wall socket or (lol) virus problem so if you don't mind we would prefer to look for other solutions.

We are certainly surprised that it's automatically assumed to be a problem on our end and will not accept that there actually might be a problem related to the software - this is as ridiculous as us not accepting that the problem might be on our end.
If we could never get the game to work at all then we'd be much, much more accepting of a hardware issue on our end but the fact that the game was playable for days (up to 10 straight hours of gameplay) on the laptop at first makes us think perhaps, just perhaps,a later patch is causing this crash. We prefer to be open to that idea, as well as the idea that it could absolutely be on our end as well.

To be clear...
Laptop- (XP) Crashes the video card (radeon mobility 300) after a couple of hours of gameplay starting Wednesday night. Then got to the point of just pressing "Play" crashed the card. This was unacceptable so the game was installed on PC #1.

PC #1 (XP) is older and has a crappy video card. The game was very choppy for about 1 minute and then the PC crashed and rebooted. This happened several times. If I try to access game settings, the game itself freezes up and I have to manually reboot the PC. Becuase the game would not work on PC #1 I installed on PC #2.

PC #2 - (Vista) The video card crashes after the character is loaded and I've hit "Play" as previously mentioned. The exact same point of loading...everytime.

We're more than willing to work towards actual solutions for PC #2 which is where this game is going to either live or die. :p This is very frustrating for everyone involved and we do acknowledge the fact that you all are volunteers, not (AFAIK) developers, putting your free time into trying to help your recalcitrant peers to play this game. The fact that the game is still getting patches makes me believe that it's not at 100% perfection yet (why would you patch a game that has no issues!) and we are quite willing to wait and see if they can get this to work for us and everyone else having these kinds of problems.

And in very lovely customer service news, we have been in contact with GameStop and they are wonderful and helpful and quite willing to take the game back if it ends up being unplayable. However we're still confident that at some point I'll be able to move past Lt. lvl 10.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Slightly off topic but MMO's get patched throughout their entire lifetime. ******** still has regular patches/hotfixes now and it's been running for years.

Good luck with your problem, it is a definate strange one.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
To be clear...
Laptop- (XP) Crashes the video card (radeon mobility 300) after a couple of hours of gameplay starting Wednesday night. Then got to the point of just pressing "Play" crashed the card. This was unacceptable so the game was installed on PC #1.
This ATI radeon mobility 300 is way under spec. You system is overheating.
In the option - video set
Monitor Verttical = On
Half Resolution = ON
Antialiasing = None.
Dynamic Lighting = OFF
Light Quality = Low
Bloom Quality = Low
Screen-space ambient = Off
Reflection Quality= Low/off
Cinematic focus = Off
Limit Frame Rate 30.

Quote:
PC #1 (XP) is older and has a crappy video card. The game was very choppy for about 1 minute and then the PC crashed and rebooted. This happened several times. If I try to access game settings, the game itself freezes up and I have to manually reboot the PC. Becuase the game would not work on PC #1 I installed on PC #2.
Need the specs.

Quote:
PC #2 - (Vista) The video card crashes after the character is loaded and I've hit "Play" as previously mentioned. The exact same point of loading...everytime.
Need the specs.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splyce View Post
Slightly off topic but MMO's get patched throughout their entire lifetime. ******** still has regular patches/hotfixes now and it's been running for years.

Good luck with your problem, it is a definate strange one.
I heard the WoW is now up to 40 GBs?
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
I heard the WoW is now up to 40 GBs?
No where near that - mines at 18.7GB but I keep all the patch files.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-21-2010, 03:45 AM
After reading this thread, I am reminded of my own initial experiences with STO. I'd like, please, some clarification on a couple of points:

1. You state that you were able to play for a few days and then the game started crashing. Did this same pattern hold for each computer? E.g. was it "play two days on comp 1, comp 1 dies, play two days on comp 2, comp 2 dies, play two days on comp 3, comp 3 dies" or was it "play on comp 1, comp 1 dies, comp 2 dies, comp 3 dies"

2. Would you be willing to provide your login details to someone with a known working computer to see if the problem is with your character's location? OR - have you tried creating a new character?

3. I apologize if you stated this before, but did you play during the Beta / Headstart on any of these PCs? There was a definite issue with the game early on that could cause video cards to burn up. In my case, the video would crash after about fifteen-twenty minutes of play. This has now been patched, but if you played early on, your video cards may have been damaged (particularly on the laptop).
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-21-2010, 04:15 AM
Persephone3

the laptop card is way under spec and I'm willing to bet the cpu is also so the game will not work on that.

We need you to post the dxdaig reports on the other two PCs , specailly the PC you want as the main PC for the game.

A: The minimum system requirements are:

OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Memory: 1GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
Disc: 6X DVD-ROM
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I've already posted specs (twice) in this thread but in the end it doesn't matter. We brought the game back to GameStop today, they were incredibly kind about taking it back as it was not playable on anything but the laptop (which was apparently way under spec but it lasted far longer than the two desktops, including PC#3 that was totally setup for this game) and even the laptop had it's own issues after almost exactly four straight days of gameplay.

It's really too bad but at this point we also have to send our graphic card (for PC#3) back to the manufacturer, as some sort of perfect storm of suckage caused the (two month old) card to fry after trying to perform for this game. Nothing else we've done to our computers has had this overwhelming effect on our systems. I'm happy for everyone who can play the game with no issues, but for me it was just not to be.

Waste some Klingons for me, guys! I've just canceled my subscription and will be looking to other games that hopefully won't tax my computers into extinction.