Lt. Commander
# 1 Bummed out by bad reviews.
02-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Hmpf... I like the game. It's definitely the best game with those kind of ratings I've ever played. Usually games with those ratings end up in the corner after half an hour of play. But it bums me out anyway.

Mass Effect 2 is also kind of a disappointment. Feels like playing Deus Ex 2 after finished Deus Ex 1, a downgrade. Maybe I need to finish the first one (again). That might make me feel better about ME2 at least. I don't want Urdnot to die. He's the ****!

Still gonna play Star Trek and if I have to support the dev team alone.

Screw you naysayers. Other MMOs aren't more creative. I should know, I test EQ2 for a living and man, if that game isn't just as badly instanced with similar repetitious quests, than I don't know what MMO does it better. Maybe WOW, but honestly, the first half hour of that game was no where near as exciting as my first day of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
Hmpf... I like the game. It's definitely the best game with those kind of ratings I've ever played. Usually games with those ratings end up in the corner after half an hour of play. But it bums me out anyway.

Mass Effect 2 is also kind of a disappointment. Feels like playing Deus Ex 2 after finished Deus Ex 1, a downgrade. Maybe I need to finish the first one (again). That might make me feel better about ME2 at least. I don't want Urdnot to die. He's the ****!

Still gonna play Star Trek and if I have to support the dev team alone.

Screw you naysayers. Other MMOs aren't more creative. I should know, I test EQ2 for a living and man, if that game isn't just as badly instanced with similar repetitious quests, than I don't know what MMO does it better. Maybe WOW, but honestly, the first half hour of that game was no where near as exciting as my first day of STO.
The less people in the 'know' about the awesomeness of STO means less queue in login!
I like it!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Rule #1: About reviews, read them at your own risk.
Rule #2: Be prepared for heavy bias.
Rule #3: Read reviews with a tablespoon of salt (ie dont believe everything you read/hear/see).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
I guess I'm also kind of bummed about ME2. I lost my ME1 save because the computer it was on got fried and I don't want to play through ME2 if Urdnot's not going to show up.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
Rule #1: About reviews, read them at your own risk.
Rule #2: Be prepared for heavy bias.
Rule #3: Read reviews with a tablespoon of salt (ie dont believe everything you read/hear/see).
Most of my favorite games movies and TV shows have received bad reviews.

Some did well despite that and others didn't but it never stopped me from enjoying them
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Review scores are bought and paid for. They may have a market effect but no serious gamer has listened to them for the better part of a decade. The worst incident I can think of to scar the reputation of reviewers in recent history is The Kane and Lynch catastrophe.

What really speaks more about a game and how good it is, is how the sales numbers do after the first month. If they're still up, chances are it's good. Listen to people who are emptying wallets for this game, not the people who are getting their wallets filled.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I've heard of that Kane Lynch issue. Haven't looked into it myself. I'll check out that link of yours and get back to you guys.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm enjoying this game, bad reviews or not. It's not the best MMO I've played, but it's much better than I thought it would be. It'll hold me over until Final Fantasy XIV and The Secret World are released. Honestly, I see so much potential in this game- by the time either of those two games are released, this one might have improved enough for me to stick around.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
While reviews tend to give a numerical score, this doesn't necessarily have a whole lot of relevance to whether a specific person will enjoy the game. Look at what people say about the game, and by and large I agree with the handful of reviews I've read on that count, on the plusses and minuses. It's just that the plusses (flying a spaceship around is fun!) outweigh the minuses (not enough content yet), and the minuses may well be fixed over a reasonable course of time here.

Really what it comes down to is whether you are having fun, not what some reviewer says.

On that note.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2010, 05:46 PM
The onion is genius!