Lt. Commander
# 1 Crash after Crash
02-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I bought this new computer last year. I have played WOW for years and started playing **** without any problems, then I started playing Star trek online from the Beta, so far I have not been able to play without the game is crashing every 30 minuts or so with all kinds of problems.

My System:
GeForce GT 230
Ram 6 GB
Intel Core i7 CPU
Windows Vista 64-bit

I have tried to turn down all settings to 50% but the game is still crashing. (at 50% on all settings it looks like the graphich on my old "spectrum" from the old days - everything blured out - old days yes I have been a programmer myself for 30 years and my hobby is online games)

Its starting to **** me off after paying for a 6 month period, normally I would simply drop a poor programed game like this, but now Im just hanging in until the time runs out before dropping the game if this continues.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Sounds like you need a new video card there buddy. go to best buy and pick one up for $90.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Playing WOW is not a good answer ^^ You can play WOW on a pentium III - IV without problems.

Buy a better video card, example is the GTX 260!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Sound like you have half resolution on if everything is blurry.

But to fix your main problem turn off dynamic lighting, i had the same problem with my 5870 until I turned it off and i havent had a single crash since, only problem i have with it turning off is the shadow link problem, but they are going fix dynamic lighting soon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darain
I bought this new computer last year. I have played WOW for years and started playing **** without any problems, then I started playing Star trek online from the Beta, so far I have not been able to play without the game is crashing every 30 minuts or so with all kinds of problems.

My System:
GeForce GT 230
Ram 6 GB
Intel Core i7 CPU
Windows Vista 64-bit

I have tried to turn down all settings to 50% but the game is still crashing. (at 50% on all settings it looks like the graphich on my old "spectrum" from the old days - everything blured out - old days yes I have been a programmer myself for 30 years and my hobby is online games)

Its starting to **** me off after paying for a 6 month period, normally I would simply drop a poor programed game like this, but now Im just hanging in until the time runs out before dropping the game if this continues.
Poor programed game? Are you serious? Its your fault that you cant see that graphics and your crashing...not cryptics. Why don't you post that last comment in a different whining thread eh?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Putting an Nvidia 230 card in an i7 system is crazy! I think it's a rebranded 9600 GT.

It's like putting a Honda Civic gearbox in a Ferrari - you're completely crippling your system with a massive bottleneck.

Go and buy a GTX 260 as a minimum.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Sounds like you have a problem with your computer setup.

Personally I'm running the following:
Athlon 64 X2 5000+ on a Asus M3A
2 Gigs DDR2
1 - 320 Gig SATA HD
1 - 160 gig SATA HD
ATI 4870 Vid Card (9.11 Drivers)
Win 7 (RC1)

And I've not had the game crash a single time. Other than seeing the servers crash.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
ok. Lets calm down here.

Op. What error message do you get. is it a generic windows error message? A BSOD? Is it a cryptic crash message that generates an error report?

If it is the latter, can you post an error number here, so coderanger or a dev can fill you in on what the error is, and a possibility why you keep crashing?

You have provided no information about your crash scenario, so you cant expect any help until you give that information.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 04:56 AM
The problem is not the graphic card as you say. Seems like alot of ppl have no idea of cards from the looks of it anyway. The problem is that the game shouldnt crash no matter what "top end" card you are using. I will send the error code next time it crashes - what will be soon.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darain
The problem is not the graphic card as you say. Seems like alot of ppl have no idea of cards from the looks of it anyway. The problem is that the game shouldnt crash no matter what "top end" card you are using. I will send the error code next time it crashes - what will be soon.

i fully agree, however the latest high end cards from nvidia and ati do have a lot of problems. thats why both manufacturers are throwing out driver updates pretty fast ately. It looks like the old 8*** series curse has come back to haunt us.