Lt. Commander
I've completely re-installed Windows 7 64x, the only thing besides a speedpad and ATI TSR I have installed is STO. I get in for 10 min, BOOM failed to extract from (insert name).hogg file. This is what I was getting prior to the Windows wipe and reinstall. What the heck else can I do to get this to work? Chkdsk runs fine, other local and online games run all day.

STO doesn't care whether this drive is the primary or first in boot order does it? I'm already in Windows but I run Linux Mint with the grub boot loader on a separate drive as my primary. Windows works fine once installed. What is causing this?!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Any chance you are overclocking the FSB?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Yes I am, but why is this the only software that would have a problem with it? Even Windows works fine all day with it. Would that cause a bad CRC error? I don't want to down-clock my processor for one piece of software and I can't be the only person that has overclocked their FSB or processor. As OCs go, it's a minor OC and my temps always stay around 30c or less.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal73
Yes I am, but why is this the only software that would have a problem with it? Even Windows works fine all day with it. Would that cause a bad CRC error? I don't want to down-clock my processor for one piece of software and I can't be the only person that has overclocked their FSB or processor. As OCs go, it's a minor OC and my temps always stay around 30c or less.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/21...ge-sata-drives

Note some of the post info like:

It should not damage the drives.

However, if PCI / SATA clocks are out of specification, even slightly, it can cause massive data corruption.

Since the PCI clock is often calculated by dividing the base FSB

333.333 / 10 = 33.333 MHz
266.666 / 8 = 33.333 MHz
but
299 / 8 = 37.375 MHz

and the SATA clock is often generated by a ratio from the PCI clock.

If the SATA clock is out by more than 8% expect data corruption to occur.
If it is out by more than 4% data corruption *might* occur.

and

Check the mainboard manual, or download the PDF from MSI's website.

Look for options in BIOS called "PCI Lock" or "PCI Bus" and lock the setting at 33 instead of Auto (free roaming).

There may also be a PCI Express (base, pre-multiplied) bus speed, lock it at 100 MHz instead of Auto (free roaming).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-20-2010, 08:51 AM
THANK YOU I'll investigate and report back...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal73
THANK YOU I'll investigate and report back...
NP - I have a system with a cheap MB and it only allows me to OC all of the FSB
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm using an ASUS M4A79XTD MB. I have a PCIe Frequency but I kept that stock at 100mhz and so far my reading says it affects the vid card performance more. My FSB is at 207, CPU Ratio: 14.5, CPU voltage at 1.4250. HT connector, Memory timing, and NorthBridge / SouthBridge settings are all still auto.

2 Sapphire ATI 4830's in crossfire.