Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
I would like some confirmation of this from a Fed player with greater experience. Without Sensor Scan being active, I can't see a cloaked ship at 1 KM, let alone 25+. Are you sure your cloaking device was on?
I'm a Engineer Captain, aboard a Science Vessel. I currently have no BOff skills that break cloak. In PvP I have indeed seen cloaked Klink vessels.

Not often, but then I ground PvP more than space PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Interesting thread....can anyone get this guy to write up a short tutorial explaining some of the things he does. I think it would be very useful.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hivewasp View Post
it goes up to 15km when trained and geared...
I am GEARED and TRAINED. Tops what I saw 9ish km, want to test? We can set up a session of testing if you want.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-03-2010, 06:46 AM
I am a Sci captain with 9 in Starship Operations, 9 in Sensors and 9 in Sensor Array. The Science ship had a Deflector with a + to Sensors and Sensor Array; all 3 consoles were full of + sensor array gear.
WHEN I used Sensor Scan I would see a cloaked vessel out to 11k. That has happened twice in 3 weeks. I PvP every day; actually I'd say that half of my leveling has come from PvP, I am at Captain 7 now.

SO, my experience has shown that cloaked ships can only be found when you activate Sensor Scan. when that buff wears off you are back to seeing NADA...ok, I'll modify that to say maybe out of 5k without Sensor Scan. OH, and I don't think Aux power on the detector ship does anything. When looking at what gear changes the Sensor Scan skill you will notice that changing Aux power does not modify it, at all.

Sensor Scan is the only "passive detection" available. It is not really passive, because you have to activate it, and it only works for 15 seconds out of 90. That is unacceptable when compared to the toggle switch that is cloak.

What is the buff that a Science ship gets to detection? Because I cannot find it. Please tell me it is not just the extra console slot?
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos22
want to test? We can set up a session of testing if you want.
I've got a T4 & T2 Klingon if anyone wants to actually try some testing out. Figure set up a private arena, both sides take screenshots of their skills and ship load out and then screenshot some detections. I wouldn't mind seeing the results. Though it would probably be more worthwhile if we could cover all the Tiers or at least T5.

Any feds that want to run some tests just let me know or add me as a friend and talk to me in game. I should be on sometime this evening probably around 1900 EST.

Edited addition: It would probably be best if you were a science officer in a science ship for at least initial tests...
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnar
I've got a T4 & T2 Klingon if anyone wants to actually try some testing out. Figure set up a private arena, both sides take screenshots of their skills and ship load out and then screenshot some detections. I wouldn't mind seeing the results. Though it would probably be more worthwhile if we could cover all the Tiers or at least T5.

Any feds that want to run some tests just let me know or add me as a friend and talk to me in game. I should be on sometime this evening probably around 1900 EST.

Edited addition: It would probably be best if you were a science officer in a science ship for at least initial tests...
I have T5 sci fed in a sci vessel, or a T5 klingon engineer in a cruiser.

Spec is 7/9 and 7/9 for sensors/sensors array, 4x X sci sensor consoles
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleqwin View Post
I am a Sci captain with 9 in Starship Operations, 9 in Sensors and 9 in Sensor Array. The Science ship had a Deflector with a + to Sensors and Sensor Array; all 3 consoles were full of + sensor array gear.
WHEN I used Sensor Scan I would see a cloaked vessel out to 11k. That has happened twice in 3 weeks. I PvP every day; actually I'd say that half of my leveling has come from PvP, I am at Captain 7 now.

SO, my experience has shown that cloaked ships can only be found when you activate Sensor Scan. when that buff wears off you are back to seeing NADA...ok, I'll modify that to say maybe out of 5k without Sensor Scan. OH, and I don't think Aux power on the detector ship does anything. When looking at what gear changes the Sensor Scan skill you will notice that changing Aux power does not modify it, at all.

Sensor Scan is the only "passive detection" available. It is not really passive, because you have to activate it, and it only works for 15 seconds out of 90. That is unacceptable when compared to the toggle switch that is cloak.

What is the buff that a Science ship gets to detection? Because I cannot find it. Please tell me it is not just the extra console slot?
Sensor scan is the buff for you to see us...and a debuff to our stealth if you can apply to us(usually when we are trying to escape).

By design, Sensor Scan is only partially effective if you try and use it for detection...but if you pop it on us as we are trying to cloak, you not only get the buff to detection, but you also reduce our cloak's stealth...further boosting yor ability to see us.

Its all there, Feds have been too busy trying to force anti-cloak detection on thier terms...instead of on the system's terms. Of course Feds want to negate the cloak...but that eventually makes the whole purpose for cloak in game pointless if it was so easy.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-Robo View Post
I'm a Engineer Captain, aboard a Science Vessel. I currently have no BOff skills that break cloak. In PvP I have indeed seen cloaked Klink vessels.

Not often, but then I ground PvP more than space PvP.
Same here, but normally only if they're within the 3K range, or so, so it's not that useful.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Sensor scan is the buff for you to see us...and a debuff to our stealth if you can apply to us(usually when we are trying to escape).

By design, Sensor Scan is only partially effective if you try and use it for detection...but if you pop it on us as we are trying to cloak, you not only get the buff to detection, but you also reduce our cloak's stealth...further boosting yor ability to see us.

Its all there, Feds have been too busy trying to force anti-cloak detection on thier terms...instead of on the system's terms. Of course Feds want to negate the cloak...but that eventually makes the whole purpose for cloak in game pointless if it was so easy.
So you biasically with disagree with your own post (OP)/.