Lt. Commander
Hey gang.

Ive been keeping an eye on this section for awile now and seeing as Im getting a new system here at the end of the month just want to have a heads up with the issues of graphics going on. So here is the system Ill be getting so you can check it out...

Intel Core2 Duo 3.0ghz CPU
8 gigs of ram
EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX (512mb) Video
640gb hard drive
samsung 22x dvd+r burner
750 wt PS
Nec Display Solutions EA261WM-BK Black 26" Widescreen Monitor

Is there anything I should know prior before I get the comp and load up STO on it and get in game? My buddy's father is building it and basically he says this system should able to handle any game currently at max graphics. Again why Im asking will I be able to run STO maxed out or will I be like others and having to turn down it a notch? Any help again would be appreciated, hate to burn out a brand new vid card

Cheers
Loc
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
You should be good with that setup. I'm only running a 9600GT (well, 2 of them, but only 1 runs my monitor for STO; the other I use for my 2nd and 3rd monitors hehe), and I can run STO with everything on high/max. Also, the rest of your new system's stats are better than mine, so you shouldn't have any problems running STO on max (like I do).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
You should be good with that setup. I'm only running a 9600GT (well, 2 of them, but only 1 runs my monitor for STO; the other I use for my 2nd and 3rd monitors hehe), and I can run STO with everything on high/max. Also, the rest of your new system's stats are better than mine, so you shouldn't have any problems running STO on max (like I do).
Can I ask yah what OS your running on your system now? I believe and I should of posted this on the stats but I believe he suggested to put on windows 7 on it (64bit) maybe vista just not sure.

And hehe one more, how are you finding the game when your actually playing lol. Smooth running fully maxed out?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, and it's very smooth for me with everything on high. Well, there is one system (the Cardassian episode at Empok Nor or whatever it's called) that turns the game into a slideshow, but I think it has to do more with that particular system than anything (there's a thread floating around about it, and people with more powerful video cards than I have had the same problem). Every other system (and ground) map runs great with everything on high.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, and it's very smooth for me with everything on high. Well, there is one system (the Cardassian episode at Empok Nor or whatever it's called) that turns the game into a slideshow, but I think it has to do more with that particular system than anything (there's a thread floating around about it, and people with more powerful video cards than I have had the same problem). Every other system (and ground) map runs great with everything on high.
Awsome, thanks for the info and the help much appreciated. Cheers

Loc
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Spend a little more money and go for an i5 CPU. Intel are phasing out the C2D socket 775 chips and you'll end up with a motherboard that won't be able to take a new CPU a few years down the line.

You can even get a i3 that should outperform the E8400 (which is the CPU I assume you're thinking of) and sells - at least in the UK - for much less.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splyce View Post
Spend a little more money and go for an i5 CPU. Intel are phasing out the C2D socket 775 chips and you'll end up with a motherboard that won't be able to take a new CPU a few years down the line.

You can even get a i3 that should outperform the E8400 (which is the CPU I assume you're thinking of) and sells - at least in the UK - for much less.
Yeah the E8400 is what my buddy suggested. Hmmm interesting, something I wasnt aware of thanx for that. Defenetly some food for thought. Ill talk to my buddies dad see into that suggestion you made.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 03:26 AM
just checked out some processors, dang nice.

anyways to what I wanted to ask. If i went with a i3 2.93ghz would i later able to upgrade to a i5 or even that smexy i7 onto the board? might be a noob question.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Dual core is dead/dying tech. Get a quad core CPU, such as an i7 920 or similar.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 03:44 AM
hahah was checken the i7's very nice, pricey though atm for me. I did find this...

Intel Core i5-661 Clarkdale 3.33GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 87W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

good/bad/stay away lol ?