Lt. Commander
# 1 Just did Star base 24...
11-15-2010, 01:16 AM
And i was NOT prepared for that, I did not realized it was a two phase mission so I ended up fighting my way to the star base and then trying to do the weaken klingon quest. Ended up doing the Star base again the second time around with real people this time and it went alot smoother.

Then we finished up the space fight and all i can say was..Hot damn that was epic. As people warped in I just invite them in to team up, when the queue was full the new people as if by some signal moved to the cluster of federation ships and threw in their forces with ours. The sights of all those federation ships battling those klingon's were ..wow.. just wow. My ship was so messed up toward the end, my hulls was blackend and my shields all but gone and yet I couldn't be happier.

I love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Starbase 24 is probably the most enjoyable of the fleet actions.

These could be such a good part of the game if more people actually played them. I tried 'halting the gorn advance (VA)' the other day and most players were either just sitting there idle so they got their daily done if someone else completed it or randomly attacking things.

Only two of us were working on the objective and after a considerable amount of time we just got bored as it was going to take hours with just 2 people

I know they have plans for these and I think they could be awesome with a queing system and if they remove the abliity for people to get credit without actually helping.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-15-2010, 03:46 AM
Glad to hear about your enthusiastic experience !
(also glad to hear about new players in the game -- you can hear how jaded some folks are at the Vice Admiral rank by the previous poster )

Since it's relatively close to Earth , the space part of Starbase24 is a good place to test out your new ship or new equipment .
Just ignore the game-invte to beam to the station and continue with the space action .

I did the space portion of that instance more times than I can count ... . I also have to agree with the previous poster that the distribution of enemy ships is perhaps one of the best ones in the while game .

If you'll ever level a Klingon character , there is a Space Mines instance that is close to this level of fun .
Enjoy the game !
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-15-2010, 03:55 AM
I had the same problem with the space part of the Laurentian system mission a few days back. It was just me and one other person, at some point both of us realised it was gonna take ages and we quit.

With Starbase 24 there were about 6 of us actively working for the space part, with two LC's and 4 LT's I think.
The battle was just underway when I warped in, and it's just as Duzell said: look who's flying into a cluster of enemies and join in. Because we were all low-level players, it gave it that extra epic feeling of "look at us noobs beating the big Klingon fleet". I hope I get the chance to repeat and score the trophy some day.

On the down side, I ended up doing the away team mission solo. I went in as LT and managed to save 4 of the scientists and get the data before I gave up - the Klingons in the corridor on the first level kept spawning too fast for me to handle and get into other rooms there. My team was cut down every time I came out of the lift. I leveled up to LC before I went back and completed it without assistance. So it's possible, but not as enjoyable as team-ups.

I'm not part of a fleet, but I do enjoy just bumping into people and teaming up for a mission or 2, especially if it helps to beat higher-level opponents.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-15-2010, 09:33 AM
I vote for more Fleet Action like Starbase 24, immensely enjoyable
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Any part that I am not sure if this is what goes on or it just the way people are but, I found myself engaging hostlie enemy when a bird of prey accidentally touched me. I did not realized there were scores of Klingon ships and I was all by my lone some, then a few more ships warped in and even though there were more Federation ships now there was still a lot more Klingons ones, we battled it out for a while trying to get the Kill eight klingon Squadron quest completed and just as my but was being handled to me because I stupidly let myself get surrounded, A huge Federation ship, I think Sovereign-Class warped in and tore them all up.

The captain of that ship then proceeded to assist us noobs. I dunno why he did it but it gave me that Star Trek feel, you know when the Enterprise come to assist smaller ships in distress. Just one of those "Damn that's awesome" moment.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-16-2010, 04:13 AM
I just done running this myself, as a LT 8.

I have to say, the space portion is fun, but the station portion (ground stuff) was not so much. I think that's what the Dev's meant when they said the ground stuff was broken. I noticed on some other ground missions, that the npcs seem to always want to get into melee range, even if they have ranged weapons. What I mean is, they like to get right in front of you, touching you. I just get swarmed all the time, they seem to ignore the BO's and go straight for the captain character. I really hope they get that ground stuff worked out and fixed, it's just a pain really. I get through it by having the bo's all attack the same targets, and the stupid melee wannabe enemy first. Some stay at range, but 90% seem to want to get in your face and hug you.

Anyway, I do really like that Starbase 24, that was a lot of fun tonight. I got 2 3rd places and the 1st place trophies out of it tonight. Great fun to be had for sure. As I level up, I plan to do as many of the FA's as possible, so if people need a partner, just look up Covert@Vhyle, I'll try and help out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-17-2010, 03:02 AM
As far as I can see, Cryptic are still overlooking the potential in their approach with SB24.

I'm been banging on for weeks for them to make boarding more dynamic.

1. Ability to send your away team to any vessel before it is destroyed, rendering it a sort of neutral target in space, other players can't attack it.

2. The possibility of sending your away team under A.I. control to support another player who has initiated what I said above. Your away team beaming down to that players location and simply tagging along.

3. Combine the results of what happens in all instances within a fleet action to determine the true outcome. Loss of ships, life and the mission.

4. Once this approach is perfected, add it to PvP so that PvP teams need to decide where to alllocate their players.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Seems like the best time to do fleet actions is tv prime time. That's when there is the greatest chance of other people willing to work to complete it are actually in the mission.

At least, that's been my experience so far
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I tried doing this by myself, and got my butt kicked repeatedly. If anyone is in Starbase 24 today, I could use the help in fighting the boarding, and fleet, action.

-Tibbetts