Lt. Commander
This is an Engineering player ability gained at Captain 8.

It 'calls in an orbital strike from your nearby ship', doing 38 phaser damage (exploit) and +6 feet knockback (base values), which can be modified by some ground engineering skills.

First of all, the game at the moment does not distinguish between indoor and outdoor, so unless the ship is drilling a hole into underground tunnels and effectively killing the Away Team (decompression, structural integrity failures, etc.), this description doesn't make sense.

Second, this little damage simply cannot be attributed to ship weapons, which can literally drill a hole into the core (or at least mantle) of a planet.

We have seen several times in Star Trek that a transporter beam can be modified for wide area stun (TOS), or limited explosive effect (TNG). This seems much more plausible and balanced in terms of what I believe this ability is meant to do.

My suggestions:

-change the name to Transporter Beam Stun
-change the attack type to expose

OR

-change the name to Transporter Detonation (or something along those lines)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 05:52 AM
How about photonic tanning lamp? Or spotlight fabrication alpha?

Something to give you an idea of the true power of the ability!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldflow View Post
How about photonic tanning lamp? Or spotlight fabrication alpha?

Something to give you an idea of the true power of the ability!
*giggles like a schoolgirl*
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Great insight OP I approve!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I nominate renaming the skill "Tickle Me Elmo" as being more in the spirit of "truth in advertising."
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Ya I completly agree with the OP here. This skill is a joke.

First off its an exploit skill but it takes so long to go off that exposed enemys will recover from being exposed before it fires on them. Its either that or the skill is broken and not actually exploiting because I've not once had the skill actually do exploit dmg or vaporize an exposed enemy and I've tried several times to do this.

Secondly, yes the dmg it does is beyond pathedic. My rifle does more damage. Really devs, my handheld rifle does more dmg than my Ships phasers being directed at the planet?! This skill needs to be majorly reworked because as it is now its complely useless aside from alerting me that my current target is in an exposed state while like using my pulse rifle(with an expose attack) so I can switch to my sniper rifle(with an exploit attack) and vaporize the enemy. Certainly can't use the skill to vaporize him!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzukasa
This skill is a joke.

This was my first thought, then after some extensive testing ....

........ I took it off my Bar & have not bothered using it since.

As an Engineer I feel cheated out of a Skill.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2010, 02:22 PM
it's especially bad when you comapre it to the captain 8 skills the other classes get, thew tatical officer gets the ability to call down two security officers, VERY VERY handy. I dunno what science gets but you can BET it's over powered..
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2010, 02:45 PM
i think science gets "nanite infestation" which applies nanites to the target that increase the next exploit damage.
since exploit is almost always insta vapor (except for some boss mobs and some players whom exploit dont seem to bother? is there an exploit dampening ability or something?) this ability is pretty much as useless as the engineers one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextra23 View Post
i think science gets "nanite infestation" which applies nanites to the target that increase the next exploit damage.
since exploit is almost always insta vapor (except for some boss mobs and some players whom exploit dont seem to bother? is there an exploit dampening ability or something?) this ability is pretty much as useless as the engineers one.
You will find that against higher health/resistance targets, or targets with shields, exploit does not equal instant death. (Try exploiting with a lower tier, weaker weapon.) So buffing exploit damage is always good.