Lt. Commander
Does anybody else find it "cheesy" you can only pitch your ship 50deg up or down playing on a 2D platform?

Would it be too hard for players to comprehend 3D space flight? It would definately make space combat way more fun and interesting.

Or is Cryptic just lazy with the programming?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Typo, sorry on the headline: not "to" but "too hard"
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Save.A.HO View Post
Does anybody else find it "cheesy" you can only pitch your ship 50deg up or down playing on a 2D platform?

Would it be too hard for players to comprehend 3D space flight? It would definately make space combat way more fun and interesting.

Or is Cryptic just lazy with the programming?
Don't think it's laziness, but rather man hour and cash intensive to do so. Don't think they have either at this point.

Plus, I can't imagine how much coding would be involved in order to create a 3d environment that also incorporates 1st person view perspectives. (i.e. Unless another ship, planet or whatever happens to be on your X axis plane, they will appear to your perspective as vertical, upside down, etc...)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Well the way you are always on the same plane is good. It keeps all ships aligned with one another, just like they are in Star Trek. But they need to flying at greater angles
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
'Don't fix it if it isn't broken'. Good words to live by. Is 2d space realistic...ofcourse not. But there are two spheres of gameplay in STO: space and ground. At this point in time, space gameplay is better than ground, therefore they should put resources toward developing the ground game until it is as equally enjoyable as space.

Also, fundamentally revamping space might consume a lot of resources in time and money, which could be better spent adding content and missing features.

But if they could somehow increase the pitch to 80 degrees with minimal effort, that wouldn't be a bad thing in my book.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
well, they need to start with allowing us to lock camera view
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Lots of posts/threads on this already.

I heard / read somewhere that it's to do with 'impulse engines' and 'manouvering thrusters'. Impulse = main directional and more powerfull 'pushing' craft forward - like a boat on water (2D). Thrusters = affect the other directions - pushing craft in relation to central axis (3D) - comparable to a submarine maybe.

Following that reasoning, straight up or down in realtion to the centre point would be slow - a bit like current reverse. Though I do not see why we could not 'roll' as in ship customisation - we already 'yaw' and have (limited) 'pitch'.

I'm not suggesting that any of this is correct - just taken from what I have seen / heard so far!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2010, 11:55 AM
It is full 3D in STOL the only thing is you can't move 90 degree upwards or downwards.

I think this is a limitation of their graphiics engine but am not sure.
Anyway it is not bad and much better than the Star fleet Command games that were on a 2D platform.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2010, 12:05 PM
well homeworld 1/2 was too much for some RTS guys.
But I loved it.
Anyways: 3d won't happen. Remember STO being created upon the CO engine, it simply won't allow true 3d. That's why we got 2d Shields and 2d movement and that will never ever change
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2010, 12:08 PM
a 6 sided shield would be too complex to handle for the casual player, or the devs /sarcasm off