Lt. Commander
# 141
02-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond_Burg
Well, congratulations. A major sci fi franchise with decades of content and resources has been pared down into a mediocre, arcade-like, repetitive shadow of what it could have been (can only guess, since this game is so empty its hard to imagine an alternative)

Have made it to Captain 9, and find myself just logging off mid mission because, this is strange, i've done this mission already, several times actually. Exploration is just the same basic missions with no change. The variations in scenery fooled me for a few weeks, but in the end the only way to fill games between story missions (shallow and poorly written "story" missions) is to grind exploration/fleet action/enemy contacts, or grind the pointless pvp for almost no reward.

Started a Klingon and got him to Lt commander 7, but its even worse over there. Can only grind the Khaless expanse so many times. Endless, pointless pvp for a pittance worth of skill points and badges that give you mediocre weapons aren't cutting it anymore.

I tried to like this, have been trying since OB, but this game is going absolutely nowhere fast and I can't keep pretending like it will be good anymore.

Paying customer, out.
Well put, I agree completely, just changed my sub from 6 months to monthly, might make it through mid March with the current state of game.
Lt. Commander
# 142
02-23-2010, 09:29 AM
I find myself trying to envision the daily routine of starships NOT named Enterprise or those that get stuck in the delta quadrant.

0500: wake up, shower and get dressed
0530: eat
0600: report to bridge for morning shift
0600: Spend next 5 hours in command chair while on route to x solar system to catalog the 109482th gaseous anomaly that starfleet ordered us to observe and catalog
1100: Spend next hour letting ops and science teams observe and catalog the gaseous anomaly
1200: get lunch
1300: Incoming hail from starfleet, we're ordered to patrol y sector for pirate and intruder activity
1400: destroyed 2 klingon bird of preys for sneaking into z planet in y sector, klingons didn't surrender so they're history
1500: Get relieved by the next shift

next day:
0500: wake up, shower, get dressed

I think the average (not main character) captain finds their lack of content disturbing too.
Lt. Commander
# 143
02-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuza View Post
I guess I am a fanboy for wanting to stick around and see the changes first hand instead of coming back a few months later and being behind the curve like most of you fanhaters are going to end up doing once you get burnt on the next game you blindly jump into.
Its all good either way bro....

In any case, anyone who waited the few months (offline, unsub'd) will catch up to you in less than three days.
Lt. Commander
# 144
02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
This game actually has content but because it doesn't vary significantly from thing to thing and you get through it fast it seems quite lackluster. If the game had a little bit more depth it could be great. Take for example the diplomacy/mystery solving missions. Throw in a couple of puzzles (like the ones in Elite Force 2 or Mass Effect 2) and multiple conclusions (maybe the colonists can start killing each other if things go poorly?) and you'd actually have some pretty entertaining scenarios.

While I wish the dev's had worked on mechanics a bit more this game still has a lot of potential. If there capable of realizing it is another story.
Lt. Commander
# 145
02-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post
I have to agree here, the use of "Epic Fail" is so far outside of reality the entire OP loses before it was read.

As for the arguement that there is not content or not enough content. I guess Cryptic did not forsee, and perhaps they should have, players logging in an tearing through the content at a rate of 10 - 12 hours a day.
At this point the 10-12 hours a day arguement is void. The game has been out for 3 weeks. You could be at cap playing 2.5 hours a day.

Quote:
I have actually read posts where the author wrote, "I'm a casual player and I only play 6 - 8 hours per day, and I hit level cap in less than two weeks."

As for those who say, the content is not varied enough. You have combat - space, combat - ground, gathering missions, exploration missions, fleet actions, episodic missions (combine space, ground, and or gather).......Is there something else I'm missiing? What else would you suggest in an MMO?
Its all the same. All the missions (not including story missions in this) are kill or scan. They dont even really change. How many times have you beamed down to a starbase and had to scan EXACTLY 4 computers. How many times to you zone into an instance and have the same exact number of static spawn points. The only variety is if your going to scan in space or scan in ground or kill in space or kill on ground. In reality there are 3 things to do... scan, kill, or scan and kill. There is no mystery. Its the same number of enemies and you know exactly where they are. Its the same number of items to scan and you know exactly where they are.

Is there something else? Yes there are plenty of things they could have put in to break up the monotony. Things like crafting, diplomacy (yes I said it read below), they could have had open space PVP, mining to go with crafting, space stations to build and maintain for fleets, housing atleast on your ship, things to collect to decorate areas of your ship, control points to fight over that maby allow better trade routes if your faction controls them and things of that nature. I could go on and on about what could be in the game but it doesnt matter... its not in there. Its right back to the same 3 things.. kill, scan, scan and kill. There is nothing in game that takes you away from that. It plays like an arcade game not an MMO. I will say that I think the story missions are pretty well done.

Quote:
Please don't say diplomacy, there is one mission I've done so far that was this. Here is how it went, Talk to A......Talk to B.....Talk to A......Search a crate......Talk to B......B was not lying.......Talk to A.....A realizes that B was not lying.....

Yeah.....we need more of that!!
Just because that is how the diplomacy is doesnt mean thats how it could be. Look at vanguard diplomacy for starters.

Quote:
I have been playing since open beta, on same character since Head Start. I've only just made it to Captain 4, and I have a Klingon character at LT9. I play about 2 hours per day, and more on weekends, so i would consider myself "casual".
Right and if you didnt play that Klingon at all then your fed character would probably be max. IMO it is a waste of time to play a Klingon now when by the time they put content in ... you would have to reroll to see it. How fun is playing that Klingon and playing broken PVP or grinding the same mission over and over.

Quote:
STO is far from Epic Fail, and yes it does have things it could do or do better. My average interest in MMOs has been about 8 months. I'll see what I'm thinking about STO around then (August).

SWG - 8 months
WoW - 7 or 8 months
COH - 8 months
EVE - 4+ years
PotBS - 8 months
LotRO - 3 months
Tabula Rasa - 3 hours
Warhammer - 3 days
Age of Conan - 6 months

Just to list a few.....
I do agree that STO is far from epic fail. STO has potential and alot of it. I just dont think it will every form or come near it. Vanguard had huge potential too and it failed hard.
Lt. Commander
# 146
02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
I find myself trying to envision the daily routine of starships NOT named Enterprise or those that get stuck in the delta quadrant.

0500: wake up, shower and get dressed
0600: Spend next 5 hours in command chair while on route to x solar system to catalog the 109482th gaseous anomaly that starfleet ordered us to observe and catalog
1100: Spend next hour letting ops and science teams observe and catalog the gaseous anomaly
1200: get lunch
1300: Incoming hail from starfleet, we're ordered to patrol y sector for pirate and intruder activity
1400: destroyed 2 klingon bird of preys for sneaking into z planet in y sector, klingons didn't surrender so they're history
1500: Get relieved by the next shift

next day:
0500: wake up, shower, get dressed

I think the average (not main character) captain finds their lack of content disturbing too.

I don't think you've taken into consideration how much time Starfleet Captains spends at the intergalactic gas stations giving their crews potty breaks because the Federation has yet to install toilets on their starships.
Lt. Commander
# 147
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith_Snipe
I don't think you've taken into consideration how much time Starfleet Captains spends at the intergalactic gas stations giving their crews potty breaks because the Federation has yet to install toilets on their starships.
Toilets installed on tuesday.....
Lt. Commander
# 148
02-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond_Burg
Well, congratulations. A major sci fi franchise with decades of content and resources has been pared down into a mediocre, arcade-like, repetitive shadow of what it could have been (can only guess, since this game is so empty its hard to imagine an alternative)

Have made it to Captain 9, and find myself just logging off mid mission because, this is strange, i've done this mission already, several times actually. Exploration is just the same basic missions with no change. The variations in scenery fooled me for a few weeks, but in the end the only way to fill games between story missions (shallow and poorly written "story" missions) is to grind exploration/fleet action/enemy contacts, or grind the pointless pvp for almost no reward.

Started a Klingon and got him to Lt commander 7, but its even worse over there. Can only grind the Khaless expanse so many times. Endless, pointless pvp for a pittance worth of skill points and badges that give you mediocre weapons aren't cutting it anymore.

I tried to like this, have been trying since OB, but this game is going absolutely nowhere fast and I can't keep pretending like it will be good anymore.

Paying customer, out.
Seems similar to what IGN commented on recently. check out IGN's article Titled "The good, the bad and the Trekkie" by Nick Kolan, released on 02/17/2010. http://pc.ign.com/articles/106/1069985p1.html

STO is definitely lacking in several areas, but, you never know, the powers that be may just expand and install things. It would have been nice to experience open space while on your ship, and the grid map to be an "option" on the bridge, maybe as part of the helm station or if you're in space, a tap of the mouse would provide a faded over lay. I also wish I could see my enemies on the view screen inside my bridge, seeing your enemy on your view screen would provide an awesome trek feel, it's classic at best. Episode titles in Blue at the top left corner, (like TNG and all other Star Trek series for that matter) would also add that Trek feel. All these little things compose the "soul" (so to speak) of star trek, I feel like that soul is missing, that essence is really lacking and so everyone is in a rush to level up...and that's about it. I do like how I can customize my ship, I didn't think I'd like my little excalibur class, but its nice, I've grown fond of it, because of my work schedule, I truly play the game episodic, so it'll be a while before I reach admiral, but I am starting to notice a bit of repitition in some things, and this is the first online game I've ever played. So even for a guy who's not savvy with all the terminology and stuff, I can see what the guy who posted is saying.
Lt. Commander
# 149
02-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
This game has been in development for 2 years, when most MMO's get 4+, so I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. If you're refering to what Perpetual had going on, all they had after the seven years holding on to the IP was concept art. No code, just pictures, most of them not even computer drawings, just hand-drawn sketches. Little, if any, of that came to this game.
No code or pictures?
just concept art?

http://suricatasblog.wordpress.com/2...uals-sto-tour/

I'm gonna go with this- There was a lot more done than cryptic let on.
I kinda like the mission window and colored icons better, in a way.
My favorite is the login screen.
Clearly cryptic used nothing from perpetual

Also Cryptic were the ones touting the "genesis system" and their ability to produce mmos' in 18-24 month cycles.
Even by your own admission (i.e. "it just needs more time") it's not competitive with other mmo's.

It could be in development for 2 hours for all i care, I'm just interested in it being worth my 15$ a month.
Lt. Commander
The company had better recognize very quickly that the name "Star Trek" is only going to carry you so far. If they wish to keep the game in business they had better fix several issues:

1) more creative missions
2) a working map and scanner system that actually works
3) the ability to log off a mission and then be able to log back in to finish it without having to start over, many people have "jobs and families" as well as the fact that computers can crash. Having to completely restart a mission if you have to log off harkens back to the ancient days of the very first "nintendo" game.
4) the spaceships really need to more steerable, having to circle around an object for an hour hoping to lock on is not my idea of a very enjoyable quest nor it is very creative of the game developers.

I like the overall look of the game and it has great potential but if something isnt done to improve the actual game content - the subscribers and then the actual game is going to die out fast!!!!!