Lt. Commander
# 51
02-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebleo
Sweet......glad to know that you have taken it on board and have decided not to continue on your quest to annoy people with little comments fueled with large quantities of sarcasm.

/facepalm

and now I move on my way to do something more constructive
I'm sorry, but what did you want me to say? "Golly gee, thanks so much for telling me how much you hate how I post, I'll stop doing it just for you."

I'm a sarcastic person. Sorry about that. I'm not the only one with that particular vice on these forums, that's for sure. And I hardly think I'm the one causing the most drama.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSunBird View Post
I hardly think I'm the one causing the most drama.
No... that would be me.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-21-2010, 07:48 PM
So if this is epic failure, and the game will become a ghost town after the first 30 days is up, what other game do you people recommend? AO? Eve? Seriously, with all this complaining about how crappy this is, you must be able to point us in the way of a game that meets your standards. Let's turn this into a positive and tell us what we'd have more fun playing, so we don't waste time our time anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrayl View Post
No... that would be me.
At least you own it.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Basic functionality, a plot that doesn't ask us to forget everything Star Trek has ever shown its audience, and enough content to keep me entertained for more than two weeks is asking for gold?

... Okay, Straw-Man... Carry on.
It's not asking for to much, but I am just tired of reading about people complaining. I mean I when you get down to it people are expecting GOLD from STO right off the bat (story wise included). I mean yes they could improve it, but these topics are just so old.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelle View Post
So if this is epic failure, and the game will become a ghost town after the first 30 days is up, what other game do you people recommend? AO? Eve?
Either of those, or even SWG would be a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebi-Kumo View Post
It's not asking for to much, but I am just tired of reading about people complaining. I mean I when you get down to it people are expecting GOLD from STO
Gold? No. I am expecting a decently fun and challenging game, however. Which Cryptic seems very incapable of delivering.
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSunBird View Post
At least you own it.
What can I say? I'm probably one of the worst of the nay-sayers, in that all of my points are made in a clear, constructive and well thought out manner. A lot of people have no idea how to respond to that.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
First, the story is best described as hackneyed, they use a poorly defined "war" which is used as a justification for everything, and ignore forty years of Star Trek as a series in favor of "shoot first, shoot second, forget trying to figure out if it's necessary" script writing.
This statement alone pretty much shows a complete lack of understanding of any Trek series besides TNG. Furthermore, much of the writing in the game is great fun. "Past Imperfect" "Ghost Ship" "Crack in the Mirror" "State of Q" are all great fun, and interesting stories.

So, because we aren't running around in the middle of war (that has a pretty well-defined reasoning for happening, as evidenced by the entire "path to 2409" features) stunning EVERYTHING and talking out way out of EVERYTHING clearly it isn't in the spirit of Trek.

Trek means different things to different people. Simply because it does not match what you view Trek as being, does not make it "not Trek."

Quote:
Many of the missions reflect a distinct lack of consideration for the history and attitudes of the Star Trek franchise, as evidenced in missions where the player, playing the role of a Starfleet Officer is pushed into slaughter and murder to accomplish a series of trite and cliche' goals.
Ah yes, slaughter and murder. The only real objectionable instance I can think of is the Romulan Subspace Weapons mission, and even then, that itself is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
I am unimpressed. Quite a few people are flat out -angry- by the use of the Star Trek name in conjunction with a mediocre plot.
And quite a few people quite enjoy the game, and don't let relatively minor nitpicks as you've stated get to them.

Quote:
Second, the moment he/she picked up the game, paying retail price for the disc or download, he/she was a paying customer, and you are ignorant to suggest otherwise.
Whether someone paid retail or not is besides the point. They have already paid FOR the content that they knew they were going to be provided. These people did not enjoy the game in open beta. They decided to purchase it regardless when they knew of the faults in it. They knew how much content was in it. They purchased it regardless.

This is the equivalant of buying a kit for building a kitcar, and then getting upset that you have to build it.

To put it simply, people paid $50 for a game. If it entertained you for 20-30 hours (longer than the typical PC/console game nowadays) then congrats. There is PLENTY of content there for that amount of time, and for the price. If one feels the need not to subscribe, there's nothing wrong with that. The problem arises in insisting that there should be more content in a game that one willingly purchased, and knew before hand EXACTLY how much content was present.

Furthermore, its obvious that Cryptic knows they need more content for the game, 45 day patch and all. Posting whining and unhelpful threads such as this, is not conducive to anything, except stroking ones own misguided ego.

Quote:
Third, I've never picked up an MMO in my life -at launch- where I could be done with all of their content in less than a month's time, and I have played everything from cheap Korean grinders to the two biggest names in the history of the genre.
Then, to put it bluntly, you haven't played MMO's much in your life.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
..... I never ran out of things to do at max level in another other MMO i've played.
didnt play Champions then eh ? you ran out Before max level over there.....

oh wait....aint that another Cryptic mmo-lite ?

0_o

Lt. Commander
# 60
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebi-Kumo View Post
It's not asking for to much, but I am just tired of reading about people complaining. I mean I when you get down to it people are expecting GOLD from STO right off the bat (story wise included). I mean yes they could improve it, but these topics are just so old.
And believe me, Hebi-Kumo... I am tired of having things to complain about. I'm tired of having to organize a list of things that make this game less than fun for me. I would much rather just play the game and enjoy it for what it is, unfortunately, there is enough wrong with it that I personally am incapable of overlooking it.

I want most that I feel satisfied with my purchase, until such time as my four biggest complaints are at least -addressed- if not -fixed-, I will not be.

The worst of it, for me... is that so many people agree with the things I bring up. I'd much rather it were just that I was too picky, asking too much, expecting too much. I would have more hope.

You are entitled to your disagreements, and to your frustration at seeing so many similar complaints, but the developers need to hear it, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I'm not trying to ruin your game for you, I want and expect better of it, and if I get what I want, my wants being limited in scope to functionality, quality writing and mission diversity, the community as a whole will win.

So I will continue my quest, because I care about the fate of this game, and the fate of this community, whether I have support or scorn as my reward.