Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I've been playing since the launch, but II'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't pickup things as quick as I'd like. Could anyone explain or direct me to some posts that explain what the various points (Exploration, Energy Credit, Starfleet Merits etc...) are good for and where I can use them? It seems like they are used in different places and I feel like it's not very clear what they're for.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Energy Credis are yoru stadnard currency, you can buy items from npc vendors, or from players via the exchange.
All the big stations have Exchanges (Auction houses) and DS9 has a lot of vendors for standard equipment

Exsploration badges gained from completing the repeatable missions that send you into the exsploration zones can be used to buy verious green items for your ship. These can be found in the shipyard in SB1 (Sol station) take the turbolift up the ramp in the shipyard area to get there.

Starfleet Merits are gained for completing missions and such, these are used to recruit Bridge Officers, buy skills for them, rename your ship and other customisation things

ANd finaly there are the tokens gained via PvP wich can be handed into vendors foudn in station K-7 in the neutral zone for a large variety of green and blue equipment
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakat1138 View Post
I've been playing since the launch, but II'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't pickup things as quick as I'd like. Could anyone explain or direct me to some posts that explain what the various points (Exploration, Energy Credit, Starfleet Merits etc...) are good for and where I can use them? It seems like they are used in different places and I feel like it's not very clear what they're for.
Marks of Exploration have five different orders, and are obtained only through doing the 'Explore' missions. These marks can be turned in at the Sol Staiton shipyard, in the place where you buy your new ships once you get a promotion. There are vendors stationed all along that room, so check the different vendors to see what you've got and what you can purchase.

Energy Credits are STOs primary currency. They're used to purchase pretty much everything in the game (with a few exceptions). You can spend them at vendors, or on the exchange, or to buy new ships from the shipmaster.

Starfleet Merits are a special currency, and are used only for purchasing new bridge officers, and to train them new and different skills. Again, this is done on Sol Station in the 'Personnel' quadrant.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakat1138 View Post

I understand your confusion at least partially, as STO leaves one piecing things together on his/her own more often than it can be considered appropriate. For example, a more detailed manual for the game would have helped a lot.

However you almost disqualified your help request comlpetely by implying that one has to be a hardcore gamer in order to get these things straight on his/her own.
And thats simply not true. I dare say that most of these questions one can find the answer for himself/herself by actually exploring the game with open eyes and an open mind (and an active brain). Or to put it bluntly, don't be lazy and/or stupid.

Since, from what I've seen, your question itself has been answered, I wish you all the best, enjoy your stay in Star Trek Online.