Lt. Commander
So I seem to crash at least 2-3 on longer ground missions.
The crashes occur at high 'things going on' points in the missions.
Firefight of 4v4, explosions etc.

I have a top of the line computer
i7-920
12 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Saphire Radeon HD 5870
Asus P6T6
too many fans
WD Black 1TB

I did turn off post processing which seems to help a bit but not much I continue to crash, dynamic lighting too.

I feel I shouldn't have to, I've looked at the numbers of what my processors/RAM/video card are doing when it happens and its no where near 100%

Here is a screenshot of one of the error messages I got once, mostly I don't get them the game studders for 1 second and crashes and I enter a game crash report

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1545535/STO...%20message.jpg
and heres what it looked like
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1545535/STO...ash%20full.jpg

When I'm in space there are NO ISSUES whatsoever, even in the messiest of Fleet Actions firefights with all hell breaking loose LOL LOL.

Can anyone offer insight, guidance
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalFury View Post
12 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
I'm assuming that is 12GB (6x2GB) and have you run any memory tests on it? Buying 6 sticks of memory and assuming that they all are fine and dandy is never a good thing.

Sounds to me like a memory issue but I could be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSWasabi
I'm assuming that is 12GB (6x2GB) and have you run any memory tests on it? Buying 6 sticks of memory and assuming that they all are fine and dandy is never a good thing.

Sounds to me like a memory issue but I could be wrong.
yes its 6x2

Windows 7 64 bit recognizes all memory and memtest was run at the beginning of the build.

--edit--
and even if half of the sticks weren't working there'd be 6GB still LOL
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
920s are triple channeled, and wasn't aware they released programs that showed your gpu usage. At any rate, would've suggest that you turn off dynamic lighting, though seeing you've already done that, I'd try tweaking everything to low then going up from there. Only problem I've had is from dynamic lighting, same exact problem though.

dual channel on a triple board? lol
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintri View Post
920s are triple channeled, and wasn't aware they released programs that showed your gpu usage. At any rate, would've suggest that you turn off dynamic lighting, though seeing you've already done that, I'd try tweaking everything to low then going up from there. Only problem I've had is from dynamic lighting, same exact problem though.

dual channel on a triple board? lol
this is a good idea
part of my 'opinion' of this problem is that I'm running a machine that should be able to handle this NO PROBLEM

I handle top notch games that push graphics like crysis, dirt 2, and great games like modern warfare 2, and bioshock2.
STO has good graphics but they don't hold candles to esp the first 2 in whats going on.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2010, 09:51 PM
It should yes seeing as how my 3 year old graphics card can run everything maxed cept dynamic lighting since that'll crash it on ground. Though depth of field does nothing for me. There are is also the option of reduce cpu/gpu usage hidden under troubleshoot in the video options setting, you may opt to try that as it shouldn't really result in any noticable framerate drop for you.

On a side note, it's still a bit odd to be running a double channel on a tripple channel board, though generally you shouldn't run into problems and any performance differences isn't really noticable.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalFury View Post
... I handle top notch games that push graphics like crysis, dirt 2, and great games like modern warfare 2, and bioshock2. STO has good graphics but they don't hold candles to esp the first 2 in whats going on.
Crysis, Dirt 2, MW2, BS2 are not MMOs and do handle graphics a bit differently. But you are correct that your machine should be able to handle the game. Again, I still think it is RAM.

I had an issue with memory that did not present until I started playing Lord of the Rings Online; basically crash after crash after crash. I decided to run MemTest86 and it showed no immediate errors so I went through troubleshooting all of my hardware over the course of the next 3 days and could not find the problem.

As a last ditch effort I pulled the second set of memory from my machine and viola, the game worked fine. I then swapped the 1st set with the 2nd set of memory and the game crashed almost immediately. That night I let MemTest86 go all night and woke to a single error, just happened to be that the game wrote to that that single bit of memory or something.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2010, 10:10 PM
"I handle top notch games that push graphics like crysis, dirt 2, and great games like modern warfare 2, and bioshock2."

I can run these games too, with the sole exception of Crysis, at full detail with virtually no stutter. The only difference is that I probably spent at least a grand less on my build. Unless you use the PC for something more industrial than PC gaming, it seems quite overkill. Win 7 64-bit may see all of your RAM, but most of your games (esp most are only 32-bit) won't see most of your 12gb. AFAIK, unless the program has multi-core support, it will just load balance across all the cores, effectively not really giving you much CPU power beyond running one core. It seems at least STO supports multi-core and perhaps Crysis, I don't think the rest do.

I won't lie, you have a nice setup. I just wouldn't invest that much into a gaming comp, and I only play PC games.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickAce
"I handle top notch games that push graphics like crysis, dirt 2, and great games like modern warfare 2, and bioshock2."

I can run these games too, with the sole exception of Crysis, at full detail with virtually no stutter. The only difference is that I probably spent at least a grand less on my build. Unless you use the PC for something more industrial than PC gaming, it seems quite overkill. Win 7 64-bit may see all of your RAM, but most of your games (esp most are only 32-bit) won't see most of your 12gb. AFAIK, unless the program has multi-core support, it will just load balance across all the cores, effectively not really giving you much CPU power beyond running one core. It seems at least STO supports multi-core and perhaps Crysis, I don't think the rest do.

I won't lie, you have a nice setup. I just wouldn't invest that much into a gaming comp, and I only play PC games.
If I only played games I agree
I do graphics work, 3D modeling, video work, way too much multi-tasking etc LOL so thats why I went with a big guns PC, also I get stuff very cheap with my job
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2010, 10:18 PM
/bump

mods please remove my post.