Lt. Commander
# 1 Level III skills
02-21-2010, 11:09 PM
I have two questions about these. When you rank up all 9 levels of a particular skill and you unlock the skill to train officers in a level III skill, I'm assuming the BO needs to have learned levels I and II. My questions are:
1. How exactly do you train your officers?
2. Does your character have the level III skill or are you just able to train your officers?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm just at LT6 and I'm trying to map out the BO skills.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogi23 View Post
I have two questions about these. When you rank up all 9 levels of a particular skill and you unlock the skill to train officers in a level III skill, I'm assuming the BO needs to have learned levels I and II. My questions are:
2. Does your character have the level III skill or are you just able to train your officers?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm just at LT6 and I'm trying to map out the BO skills.

Thanks!
  1. There's an button on the status screen, both on yours and on any officer eligible for a skill you can teach.
  2. It can only be taught to officers, not used yourself.
  3. WARNING: Absolutely nothing in the game tells you this (epic documentation fail) but you can only train level-3 officer powers that fall within your captain's specialization. An engineer or science captain can't train High Yield Torpedo III at 9/9 in torps, just a Tactical captain.
Lt. Commander
# 3 re: #3
02-21-2010, 11:49 PM
You read my mind. I was agonizing over which level 3 skills to aim for but your reply effectively eliminated two-thirds of those choices. Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Quote:
You read my mind. I was agonizing over which level 3 skills to aim for but your reply effectively eliminated two-thirds of those choices. Thank you!
No prob
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Quote:

Thanks!
You also do not need to have your BO trained in ranks I and II in order to train the rank III ability. For example, one of my engineering BOs has Emergency Power to Shields III, but does not currently have ranks I or II, nor did he at the time of training.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
  1. There's an button on the status screen, both on yours and on any officer eligible for a skill you can teach.
  2. It can only be taught to officers, not used yourself.
  3. WARNING: Absolutely nothing in the game tells you this (epic documentation fail) but you can only train level-3 officer powers that fall within your captain's specialization. An engineer or science captain can't train High Yield Torpedo III at 9/9 in torps, just a Tactical captain.
Actually there is a dialogue ingame that states the limitation of BO training/skill-unlocking.
Shortly after completing the tutorial and arriving on SB1 you are sent to talk to Commander Balt in the Personel area who has one dialogue option ending in what is seen in the below screenshot.

I wouldn't know it was there either if someone hadn't told me and there should definitely be some info about it in the skilltree itself, but the info is in the game nontheless.

Oh and don't ask me what the "by doing research at memory alpha" part means. Other than it being an originally planed feature that got abandoned I have got no clue.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint View Post
Actually there is a dialogue ingame that states the limitation of BO training/skill-unlocking.
Shortly after completing the tutorial and arriving on SB1 you are sent to talk to Commander Balt in the Personel area who has one dialogue option ending in what is seen in the below screenshot.

I wouldn't know it was there either if someone hadn't told me and there should definitely be some info about it in the skilltree itself, but the info is in the game nontheless.

Oh and don't ask me what the "by doing research at memory alpha" part means. Other than it being an originally planed feature that got abandoned I have got no clue.
Heh ... pwnd
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Yes, there is this little dialoge... but to be honest, no new player will realize just how important this is since with the memory alpha part it basically says "you wont be able to train them yourself but there are other ways to do it".

Only problem with this is those other ways are not existent at the moment
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Quote:
<snip>

I would think those are the Special and Information Rooms which - from what I can tell - have no purpose currently (never anyone in there I can find when I visit). I agree that I think they left this out as a method of 'upping the BOs - though thts unfortunate because Memory A could be their entire "online manual for all things knowing" if done right
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghartan
Heh ... pwnd

Oh really ?
You can speak with Commander Bolt before you create your Character ?
You can speak with him before you decide to buy your game ?
You can speak to him in the first second you created your Character ?

Boom Baby