Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint View Post
Actually there is a dialogue ingame that states the limitation of BO training/skill-unlocking....
Hmm. I suppose it's not entirely undocumented, then. I still maintain that Cryptic is doing players a severe disservice by not highlighting them at the point of use. They should take the 10-15 minutes necessary to reword the text strings like "Learning all nine ranks unlocks the skill to train officers Beam Array: Fire At Will III" (which is also profoundly grammatically awkward) more accurately, to something like "Learning all nine ranks allows tactical captains to train officers to use Beam Array: Fire At Will III".

Now someone find the dialogue in-game where it explains Science Team III actually comes from Doctor and not Scientist :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
But its not that big of a deal. All my level III skills came from having one BO train another. And I am a Science Captain flying a Science Vessel. But I got Viral Matrix III, Tykens III, Science Team III, etc all from BO candidates. If anything, it seems too easy to me to get level III skills from BOs as it cheapens the effort to put in the points to level 9.

Folks act like they are irreparably damaging their toons but all it takes is a little patience to get the skills you need.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghartan
But its not that big of a deal. All my level III skills came from having one BO train another. And I am a Science Captain flying a Science Vessel. But I got Viral Matrix III, Tykens III, Science Team III, etc all from BO candidates. If anything, it seems too easy to me to get level III skills from BOs as it cheapens the effort to put in the points to level 9.

Folks act like they are irreparably damaging their toons but all it takes is a little patience to get the skills you need.
Where'd you find a science team III on a BO? Type III commands found on acquired BOs are supposed to just be ones captains can't train (Viral Matrix III, for example - sensor probes 9 gets you Scramble Sensors 3))
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0850

Oh really ?
You can speak with Commander Bolt before you create your Character ?
You can speak with him before you decide to buy your game ?
You can speak to him in the first second you created your Character ?

Boom Baby
You are directed to talk to him before it's possible to put points in any skill that unlocks a trained skill.

Boom baby!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0850

Oh really ?
You can speak with Commander Bolt before you create your Character ?
You can speak with him before you decide to buy your game ?
You can speak to him in the first second you created your Character ?

Boom Baby
You've spent very little time playing the game when you speak with him. Rerolling wouldn't be a problem at that point.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquatic
You've spent very little time playing the game when you speak with him. Rerolling wouldn't be a problem at that point.
so that wouldnt refutate me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryllynyth View Post
You are directed to talk to him before it's possible to put points in any skill that unlocks a trained skill.

Boom baby!
So just because 1 of 3 of my points is possbible but not happening normal, makes
me double Boom Baby you
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I've got a question for the gallery, maybe I'm not doing something I'm supposed to.

I am a LT. grade 13 and I am trying to rank up.
I have all my skills filled to 9 in all four categories, all my bridge crew are ranked as high as they can go in both their categories.
Under the skills heading it says that I must spend 3100 skill point to rank up, I have 5600 skill points and I have no place to spend them.
Please help if you can, I fear I will be a "louie" forever.

Thx in advance
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstperson760 View Post
I've got a question for the gallery, maybe I'm not doing something I'm supposed to.

I am a LT. grade 13 and I am trying to rank up.
I have all my skills filled to 9 in all four categories, all my bridge crew are ranked as high as they can go in both their categories.
Under the skills heading it says that I must spend 3100 skill point to rank up, I have 5600 skill points and I have no place to spend them.
Please help if you can, I fear I will be a "louie" forever.

Thx in advance
Since it's a common problem, I'm going to guess the 4 skills you have maxed are Starship Command and the 3 X team leaders. In which case, you need to scroll your skill window down to see all the other available skills.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
  1. WARNING: Absolutely nothing in the game tells you this (epic documentation fail) but you can only train level-3 officer powers that fall within your captain's specialization. An engineer or science captain can't train High Yield Torpedo III at 9/9 in torps, just a Tactical captain.
Actually that's not true. At the Space Dock near the BO requistion officer and trainer is a guy that explains bridge officers. If you read his dialog he explains that you can only train level 3 in your skill set.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathian
Actually that's not true. At the Space Dock near the BO requistion officer and trainer is a guy that explains bridge officers. If you read his dialog he explains that you can only train level 3 in your skill set.
Yes, Admiral Bolt's dialog box has been discussed already. There's one thing that says it in-game, and taking the Skills Window at face value appears to contradict it. Given other contradictory and incorrect documentation in-game, even with the dialog there the other factors make it less than clear what is correct. Only painful experimentation (by others before I got to that point, mostly) uncovered the full truths.